Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Ammonia after move home

More
14 Mar 2017 12:55 #1 by Paul B (Paul Byrne)
Hi lads
Small problem with ammonia 0.25ppm, ph 8.
Lightly planted and 6 small goldfish.

We moved home at the weekend and after moving the aquarium I a have ammonia at 0.25ppm I'm using Easy-life fluid filter medium.
Apart from water changes is there anything else I should do!

Also in the future when moving aquarium what is the best practices to prevent problems in the aquarium.

Thanking you
Obliged
Paul B

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2017 15:51 #2 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
water changes and ease off the food for a day or 2. how long was the filter off for ? sounds like bacteria in the filter died
www.aquaone.co.uk/moving_fish.php

More
14 Mar 2017 23:43 #3 by robert (robert carter)
Add some Prime into the tank it will lock up the ammonia making it harmless to the fish

More
15 Mar 2017 07:29 #4 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Prime only locks the ammonia thats present in the tank..

As more ammonia is created it starts to build again...

Prime is basically a temporary reprieve...

To me it looks like you are back to square one as regards Cycling the tank...There are a few options available to you....
(1) Tetra Safe Start (good bacteria in a bottle)
(2) Get a big piece of gunky media from someone elses established filter (Fish store maybe) and stuff it into your own filter (Dont let it dry out and get it home and into your own filter ASAP)
(3) Organic Aqua
(4) Weeks of daily large water changes until the tank cycles again

Your best bet is number (2)
Number (4) is going to break your heart

By the way Easy Life Fluid Filter Medium is doing nothing to help cycle the tank again...Its a water conditioner NOT a source of good bacteria...

More
15 Mar 2017 07:31 #5 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Feed sparingly for the time being BTW

More
15 Mar 2017 07:39 #6 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Next time you move a tank take all the media from your filter and store it in a bag of water taken from the aquarium...

You have to get the tank up and running again ASAP and put the media back into your filter as soon as you can...

As soon as good bacteria is starved of an ammonia source, oxygen and water it starts to die....I would suggest not leaving cycled filter media without a food source (ammonia) for more than 24 hours....It dies off rapidly...

You either starved it of ammonia and oxygen for too long or let it dry out...The other thing you probably may have done is over cleaned the filter when you took the tank down....

Either way your bacteria colony is probably dead and you are back to square one as regards cycling the tank...

More
15 Mar 2017 10:28 #7 by Paul B (Paul Byrne)
Thanks for your answers

This is what I was thinking
I have learned the hard way about moving aquarium

Much obliged
Paul B

More
16 Mar 2017 09:48 #8 by iain54 (Iain Minchin)
If you're local to me you can squeeze my filters

More
16 Mar 2017 10:23 #9 by robert (robert carter)
As long as its only your filters hes squeezing

More
16 Mar 2017 14:13 #10 by iain54 (Iain Minchin)
Haha dirty fecker

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds