Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

poor fish

More
01 Jul 2006 04:57 #1 by goldy (goldy .)
poor fish was created by goldy (goldy .)
i came across this goldfish (not in a shop or anything) and couldnt believe the state of it. I also couldnt believe that it has been like this for a while and is still alive. in fact it doesnt seem to be that bothered about itself. still eating and not sucking air.

I have never seen a fish as bad as this unless it was dead. The water is cloudy and you can see that in the picture. there is a canister filter in the tank and it is in with another goldfish and 3 minnows. The tank is about 1 foot the fish are obviously used to this water because they are not bothered. A water change is done a bit hit and miss about every 2 weeks

can you diagnose the disease. I just cant believe that the fish is still alive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Jul 2006 14:37 #2 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: poor fish
It could be severe Costia/Chilodenella or a mixture of both.I would use sone anti paratite treatment.
king British have an anti slime disease treatment thats is useful in my opinion.
Usually saltbaths ae excellrnt for Costia but you cant saltbath a fish that has been stripped of its scales.
If you cant get your hand on anti parasite meds catch him and wipe his wounds with meth blue. Don`t do both.
Treating the whole tank sounds like the best option to me.
Keep us posted.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Jul 2006 14:38 #3 by Anthony (Anthony)
Forgot to mention.
Do daily water changes of 45% to help remove the parasite from the water and to stop other infections setting in.

More
02 Jul 2006 11:38 #4 by goldy (goldy .)
Replied by goldy (goldy .) on topic Re: poor fish
thanks harry have a few treatments i could give a lend of. the fish is still doing grand and i asked if any treatments had been used but they have not. i think because the fish doesnt seem to be distressed there is no major concern over treating the tank. will suggest it again and hopefully this will help

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Jul 2006 13:57 #5 by Anthony (Anthony)
I would say he is definitely stressed out.
How would you feel if you walking around with no skin on your back.
It won`t be long before something else sets in and he dies. He is open to infection from all sorts.
Won`t be long before all the fish are sick. Try the meth blue treatment on him and keep us posted.

More
02 Jul 2006 14:14 #6 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
It looks like someone won this fish at a fair and just didnt care for it.
Nasty stuff.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Jul 2006 04:24 #7 by Anthony (Anthony)
Its a bloody disgrace.
I personally had fish that developed similar but more aggresssive symptons like this. so called discus plague.
Thats why its always better to quarantine fish before you add them to your tank and dont rescue fish like I once did.

More
03 Jul 2006 15:18 #8 by goldy (goldy .)
i feel sorry for the fish but sometimes there is no talkin to some people. i think becasue it is like this so long he thinks it is ok. he says that the black bits are where the fins are healing...will give some methaline blue and see

• georgina (georgina)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Jul 2006 05:38 #9 by georgina (georgina)
Replied by georgina (georgina) on topic Re: poor fish
Thats terrible, its wierd coz I know of ppl that have a fish for months and months and only top up the water now and again, but never actually clean the tank! its chronic
G

More
04 Jul 2006 09:53 #10 by goldy (goldy .)
i know people like that too but they have no major problems with water and very few deaths. doesnt seem fair

More
07 Jul 2006 09:45 #11 by monty (monty)
Replied by monty (monty) on topic Re: poor fish
I've come across people who don't do the proper maintenance and then wonder why their fish are dying. In many cases it's ignorance to a certain extent and providing advice and help is the best way forward

But this situation is dreadful, as the fish is obviously unwell and in distress.

Monty

More
18 Jul 2006 12:12 #12 by goldy (goldy .)
glad to say that I sorted out the water problems in the poor goldfish's tank and he is healing very well and feeling much better. The water is clear for the first time so they say and the fish are much happier. The tank owner has started to be more interested now instead of disillusioned so I dont think he will let any more fish get into this state ever again. Thats got to be a good thing. no pictures sorry but if I manage to get some I will post them.

Thanks for all the good advice

• Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jul 2006 15:34 #13 by Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan)
Replied by Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan) on topic Re: poor fish
Hi All,

IMO there is little hope for that fish. What it requires just might kill it.

I think that the fish is living on adrenaline, it's hard to tell from a still shot but things that you can pick up from the shot is that it has heavily eroded scales right down to the flesh. The water has a high bio load which probably also has a high bacteria load. A way to revive this fish is to remove it to a tank with clean water on its own, treat with a broad spectrum batercide and feed little and often with a tempting food (live preferably). Treating the fish in current conditions is like pissing into the wind if you catch my drift. If the owner (and this is not a reflection of the owner) for whatever reason allowed a tank and its occupants to get like that then I cannot see a future for the fish in the current climate.

Anto - not sure if Costia and Chilodonella are cold water diseases :?: :?:

This is a pic of a fish I came across a few months back and this guy looked after his fish !!!!!

Best Regards..........Tony

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jul 2006 16:50 #14 by Anthony (Anthony)
Costia does survive in cold water. A lot of people who keep koi seem to get it and don`t know what it is.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds