Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Uv Sterilisers

More
30 Mar 2019 08:51 #1 by Debrush (Shane Lavelle)
Hi Guys 'n Gals,
A quick question.
Which is better , an inline or integrated UV steriliser and what wattage is the minimum or maximum required? I'm looking at an external filter with an integrated 9w UV bulb, but wondering if it will be enough on a Juwel 260?

Thanks in advance.

Shane.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2019 12:47 #2 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic Uv Sterilisers
What sort of water are you keeping, salt or fresh?
Why do you feel the need to get one?

More
06 Apr 2019 23:22 #3 by Debrush (Shane Lavelle)
Hi Jon, thanks for your reply.
My aquarium is tropical freshwater, and amongst other things I've struggled with green water on and off for 8/10 months. (see "Return to fishkeeping after 20 odd years" in the introduce yourself section) I'm happy that the water quality is now stable and okay, it's more the location that may the issue, It's in a bright spot but not in direct sunlight. Moving it isn't really an option and after some research ( LFS and internet) I'm inclined to try uv as a means of controlling the green water. Clarifiers have worked but seems to me I need a better long term solution. Thoughts on this would be appreciated. Shane.

More
07 Apr 2019 07:17 #4 by lawrenceog (Lawrence O Gorman)
I have never used one, it should keep the algae undercontrol. I was looking at some cannisters that had one built in. Tetra brand i think reasonable price but no idea if they are a good cannister. Sera di one too i think.

How is the sand working out for the plants and what kind of sand are you using?

More
07 Apr 2019 08:58 #5 by Debrush (Shane Lavelle)
Hi Lawrence, thanks for replying. The sand is play sand, sourced from Smyth's toy stores. The plants are doing well and sand seems okay. The only problem is one my internal filters slips down occasionally and as a result stirs up the sand, clouding up the water and dusting the plants. I need to get something to use to lightly stir the sand, I'm thinking of adapting a whisk or getting one of those head massagers!

More
12 Apr 2019 21:29 #6 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I never had a planted tank but i have used a All Pond Solutions 2000EF+ External Filter with the 9w uv light it worked well and they were not to expensive. I know some people don't like All Pond Solutions External Filter but i never had any problems once there cleaned out regularly

Something fishie going on here

More
12 Apr 2019 21:46 #7 by Debrush (Shane Lavelle)
Hi James, thanks for the reply. I was looking at all pond solutions too, but I went with a Betta Choice 1620 with a built in 9w UV light. Hopefully this'll do the trick! How long did it take for your water to clear and are you still using it?

More
13 Apr 2019 01:04 #8 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Hi James, thanks for the reply. I was looking at all pond solutions too, but I went with a Betta Choice 1620 with a built in 9w UV light. Hopefully this'll do the trick! How long did it take for your water to clear and are you still using it?

it was actually a SunSun-HW-304B its the same company just under a different name
i sold that filter and tank ages ago, it was 190L corner tank and from what i remember it cleared up within a few days . these days i am just running a Eheim 1200 and 2260 on my 6FT tank

Something fishie going on here

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds