Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

More
06 Jul 2006 14:34 #1 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
hi, first posting so please bare with me if i waffle on but ill try not to.
i have record 60 set up since jan 06. 30 neons 3 rainbows & 1 pleco.
march got the hairy algae. all normal test ok ish. ph 7. ammonia 0. nitrIte 0. nitrAte 40. tried to get nitrAte lower by doing more water changes which worked but ph went up 7.2. then back to 7. tried algae remover which reduced the growth but didnt get rid of it. introduced C02 and more plants then got bigger test kit inc gh. & kh. and also phosphate. first off gh was 22deg. kh 2deg. po4>5. oooops. did 50% water change. ph6.6. ammonia0. nitrIte 0. nitrAte10. gh 15deg. kh2.p04 still >5. tested tap water p04 and was <1. can any body tell me why p04 is still far to high after 50% water change which by what i have read is due to dirty water when all substrate was given a good cleaning when doing the water change.???????????????????was trying to insert a pic of my tank but cant get it to work. any help on this would also be a help. thanks.[/img]

May your fish be with you:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2006 23:30 #2 by lampeye (lampeye)
hello and welcome .....sign up to photobucket.com....upload your picture there and the just cut and paste the link under your picture in pvucket that starts with [img] etc

lampeye

More
07 Jul 2006 09:21 #3 by zig (zig)
Dont know why the results are staying the same for PO4, maybe do another water change and test again, or maybe the kit only reads up to 5ppm and your water contain more PO4 than the kit will read, my nutrafin phosphate test kit only reads up to 5ppm, after that the result will stay the same no matter how much phosphate is in the water, i think the real question should be why are the PO4 readings so high if your tapwater only contains 1ppm phosphate. Maybe its being introduced by your fish food or maybe you dont normally do large water changes of 50% and it has built up over time.

Your Ph will change from 7.2 down to 7 because when it comes from the tap it will contain CO2, after a while the water will degas itself and the reading will be normal or correct at Ph7.

how much light have you over this tank, is it just the light that came with the tank or have you upgraded it? the lights that come supplied with Juwel tanks are not suitable for growing plants, the plants will eventually die usually.

welcome to the forum btw

More
07 Jul 2006 11:10 #4 by lampeye (lampeye)
zig...are u talking about upgrading the tubes or the light unit? reason i ask is i looked into t5s for the rio 240 and it turned out the unit it came with was for 38watt tubes and the t5 upgrade was only 39watt tubes so i stuck with the orig unit and justy got some new tubes and reflectors (for a marine tank)...

ps got the interpet daylight plus tubes for my discus tank...Very Nice thanks for advice

lampeye

More
07 Jul 2006 12:14 #5 by zig (zig)

zig...are u talking about upgrading the tubes or the light unit? reason i ask is i looked into t5s for the rio 240 and it turned out the unit it came with was for 38watt tubes and the t5 upgrade was only 39watt tubes so i stuck with the orig unit and justy got some new tubes and reflectors (for a marine tank)...

ps got the interpet daylight plus tubes for my discus tank...Very Nice thanks for advice

Sorry panda i should have made myself clearer, im talking about the tubes that come supplied with Juwel tanks when you buy them not the auctual light fittings themselves, i think the tubes are rated at about 2400k if memory serves me correctly and are really only suitable for lighting up the tank for viewing purposes, you need to swop out the tubes to have any success with plants.

Glad you found the Daylight tubes to your liking, tbh you cant go wrong with them colourwise for viewing purposes, they give a very natural light, excellent for growing plants as well.

More
07 Jul 2006 13:34 #6 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
hi panda & zig. thanks for photo advice will give it a go & see what happens. yes is first time doing 50% change normaly do two changes a week but was going to start doing 50% in hope that i was doing the right thing instead of two small changes. i have the same po4 kit and not surprised if po4 is higher than 5 at the moment. wes again still have the same light fitted to the tank and had planned changing it as i have seen the item in another forum here about the exact same thing record 60 that had installed extra light on to the feeding hood of the tank. plan on doing that over the next few weeks. any other help on the lights would be very helpfull. have just done another part water change tonight friday 7th 10L. to see if that would help but didnt. only small change cos didnt want to drop ph to much at once. tested pure tap water and po4 was 0. tested water after declohrinated and still 0. put water in tank and hey presto!!!!!!
still the po4 was 5. so have put in phos orb to see how or if that helps or not. any other advice on lights, type etc. would be great. thanks.

May your fish be with you:

More
07 Jul 2006 17:08 #7 by lampeye (lampeye)

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds