Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

water temp

More
11 Jun 2007 19:16 #1 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
i noticed my cory's and yo yo's acting strange did the usual test and forgot the most simple :oops: check temp :oops: . did small water change checked heather it set at 22. have no ice or anything suitable. but :?: :?: how do you check oxygen level in water. :?: i open kitchen window again to create draft and will watch for next couple of hours

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2007 19:34 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Are you saying that it was set at 22 or you set it to 22? That is a bit low either way, the corys (depedning of which sp. they are) would be happy enough provided they got to that temp slowly but the yo yo would prefer a little higher. 24/25 is usual temp for a tropical community tank.

An airstone of directing the outlet of your filter will increase the oxygen in the water.

What was the strange activity anyway?

Daragh

More
11 Jun 2007 20:43 #3 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
normally i have it set at 22 but the tank stay around 25/26 but to night it shot up to 29/30 thus the panic the heather is about three months old replaced two then. i am lucky enough to have the warmest house out of 27. add to that the tank is five foot off ground.

More
11 Jun 2007 20:49 #4 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
still all returning to normal now cory's and yo yo are starting to hunt food temp still a little high but going down at a nice stady rateshould be able to close window shortly.

More
12 Jun 2007 01:44 #5 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi, Tetra do an oxygen testkit.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jun 2007 02:24 #6 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: water temp
get a new heater if you get these temperature fluctuations.
Eheim-Jager are the best IMO

More
12 Jun 2007 02:43 #7 by essjay (S Jackson)
Replied by essjay (S Jackson) on topic Re: water temp
my tank hit 31 degrees the other day with the heat in the house....

More
12 Jun 2007 03:36 #8 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: water temp

my tank hit 31 degrees the other day with the heat in the house....

But think of how much you'll be saving off your ESB bill... :wink: :idea: :idea: :idea:

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jun 2007 03:54 #9 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
31 degrees? Where are you living? Even if you have have a room temp of say 25 degrees which indicates that you are not doing your bit when it comes to ebergy preservation :D your tank temperatures shouldn't reach 31 degrees unless your tank stands in front of the radiator or possibly right beside it.
Check your thermometer. The sticky ones that glue to the outside of the tank are useless at best.

More
12 Jun 2007 04:01 #10 by essjay (S Jackson)
Replied by essjay (S Jackson) on topic Re: water temp
have 2 thermometers and they both more or less say the same thing. The tank is in my office with a few PC's going and I was out on Saturday so the windows were closed. Office is at the front of the house and has the sun beating off it most of the day.

The tank is set to 27/28 anyway (african cichlids), but the temp in the room brought it up more.

Opened the windows and had it back down to 29 by Sunday.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jun 2007 04:07 #11 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: water temp
31 degrees is fairly likely in this weather,heat dead spots where there is no air current can easily rise into the 30's,if your tank is in one of these spots it will heat up easier seeing it is already at c25.I find the sticky thermometers accurate,not exact but good enough.

ATM my tanks are set to 20,because my back garden is a sun trap in the morning and no breeze gets in near the fish room,my tanks are at 26,if it gets warmer throughout the day the tanks will get warmer.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jun 2007 04:19 #12 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
@ChrisM

Ok, fair enough explenation why your houses heat up but why do you set your aquarium heaters to 20 degrees? If you wnat to keep them at 26 they will stop heating at 26. If you got a sudden fall in outside temps and the room temperature falls below the 20 your heaters will on bring the water temp to 20degrees. You don't save any energy by having your heaters set to 20 degrees but risk a temperature decrease in your tanks

Holger

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jun 2007 06:15 #13 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: water temp
Average room temperatures in the Summer increase by about 5 degrees IME,hence 20C gives me 25C.Overnight that drops by probably 3/4 degree C,my room temperature is quite stable,however during such a hot spell as we have had over the last few days that stable temperature has risen,its no big deal,the fish can deal with it and it is trigering spawns,just like it would in their natural habitat.I see where your concern comes from but its a system that has consistently worked for me for many years.

More
12 Jun 2007 09:13 #14 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
temp is now between 27 and 28 and the guppies have birth tank has fry in every little shallow(i have floating bog wood for the purpose) i will be doing a 25% change shortly so that will correct things. i do believe it is time to get the timer plugs out last year i had to resort to this.

my problem is basically the house from the sitting room window to the kitchen window is 23feet the majority of the day is nearly direct sun light. add every day life its to warm. the tanks have two thermometers external and internal, :idea: :?: do i think i will be buying a few of those child digital thermometers so i can check and get more accurate temp do i am open to suggestions on that. :?: :idea:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jun 2007 09:39 #15 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Digital thermometers for use with humans won't work since the lowest temp they generally measure is still above 30 degree and so of little use. Fell for this one before. You can get digital thermometers made for the aquarium use quite cheaply ón ebay

More
12 Jun 2007 09:48 #16 by ricko10 (jamie)
Replied by ricko10 (jamie) on topic Re: water temp
what i have done in the past was to put the inlet tube from my air pump into a small coolbox with ice packs in. not the most conventional but it worked. and pumping cold air into the tank didnt seem to have an impact on my fish, but maybe it could on other species.

More
12 Jun 2007 09:55 #17 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
thanks for that apistodiscus
will go look it up now

More
12 Jun 2007 10:04 #18 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
would never think of that ricko10 at moment not enough air pipe, do was considering getting a couple of those ice packs and floating them or maybe attaching it close to the flavel do i have concerns about cold spots or the plec getting stuck to it :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil: :!: :?: :idea:

More
12 Jun 2007 10:05 #19 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
I relly must learn to spell

More
12 Jun 2007 10:19 #20 by ricko10 (jamie)
Replied by ricko10 (jamie) on topic Re: water temp
if i was floating ice packs it may cause cold spots. i would try using 2 small ice pcks in differt parts and maybe increasing the current slightly if you were able to. try it without the fish in place and see how you get on :?:

More
12 Jun 2007 10:31 #21 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
will do

More
12 Jun 2007 15:27 #22 by koinonia (koinonia)
Replied by koinonia (koinonia) on topic Re: water temp
I put in a new heater at the weekend - 150w - thinking it may have been too powerful for a 3 ft tank!

I set the temp at 25 but it shot up to 28/29 and the next thing i knew I lost 2 platys and 2 guppies with a couple of days. I saw them gasping at the surface for a while!

I've reverted back to the juwel heater that came with the tank... I had changed to a tetra tec because it could be set at 1/2 degree intervals....or so it said on the box :!:

More
12 Jun 2007 17:04 #23 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: water temp
Not looking a gift horse in the mouth I unplugged all my heaters when the warm spell started...might have to replace them after tomorrow though, it appears the Summer's ending on Thursday.

Still, it was good while it lasted - I suppose.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Jun 2007 01:03 #24 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
There seem to some misconception of how heaters work. If your heater is calibrated and you set it to a specific temperature it will only heat to that temperature. It does not matter whether the heat comes from the heater itself or from outside sources. So unplugging your heaters in warm weather will not save you a penny or cent as the case is now. If your temp goes over the set temperature, the water is either heated from an outside source like the sun, especially in south-facing rooms or there is something wrong with the calibration of the heater.
Most heaters on the market cannot be calibrated and so it's a bit of trial and error with the dial to get the correct temperature. The only heater wildly available that can be calibrated are the Eheim Jager heaters.

More
14 Jun 2007 07:45 #25 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
well tank is back to normal ish but i have had to set up a fry tank the guppy's have had quiet a lot of fry and i am in fear of the bio load at a quick count cat reckons there is 28 visible so my work cut out today two water changes and cycle a tank at least i will be able to use some of the water

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds