Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

unexplained deaths??

More
12 Jun 2007 09:54 #1 by ricko10 (jamie)
Got home from work today and found my 2 large tiger oscars dead. They seemed fine this morning. no signs of illness or trauma. done a 50% water change on weekend as normal and water tested like it usually does. i am thinking possibly a short in the heater causing electrocution? or is it possible that my dogs barking at postman done it. but they should of been used to that? any ideas? oh and wate change was done on my other 2 tanks as well and all is perfect.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jun 2007 10:04 #2 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: unexplained deaths??
Did the new 50% water match the existing 50% in pH,GH,KH and temperature?

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jun 2007 10:08 #3 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: unexplained deaths??
Yep, the same happend to my discus recently. Twelve dead after a waterchange. My tetras all survived it. My sneaking suspision is that the council were repairing old pipes and flushed the pipes out with sulphuric. This in term reacted with the copper and poluted my tank. How my tetras survived is another matter I haven't figured out yet

More
12 Jun 2007 10:14 #4 by ricko10 (jamie)

Did the new 50% water match the existing 50% in pH,GH,KH and temperature?

ph was slightly higher than normal but nothing that would cause a concern. and come to think of it holger i did see some work men out and about end of last week. living in the middle of nowhere we do get water differences sometimes depending on the weather but as my oscars got a 50% water change every week it never seemed to bother them.

More
12 Jun 2007 10:28 #5 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
try a Litmus test you should be able to get some litmus paper in a chemist

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Jun 2007 02:26 #6 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: unexplained deaths??
Oscars are generally tough as old boots so a slight variation in pH shouldn't have made a difference. Did they show any obvious external sign when they died? For example my discus all went blind which could point to heavy metal poisoning.

More
13 Jun 2007 04:28 #7 by ricko10 (jamie)
no signs of external injury and they ate fine in the morning. like i said. its a mistery :?:

More
13 Jun 2007 05:35 #8 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
did you or someone use air freshner
or any chemical cleaner in the house recently.
Did you paint your house by any chance?

More
13 Jun 2007 06:44 #9 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
this may or may not be the right place to post this on my goggle page i have a number of news links and i noticed this to day

"Irish water sources still badly polluted - EPA" on www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhkfeyidauql/rss2/

while i Have questioned for some time now the quality of my water but have not been able to get at a price i can afford a filter system and now am strongly considering building my own

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
13 Jun 2007 12:32 #10 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Possible oxygen levels? last week or so was blistering, did you check the temp? big fish need lots of oxygen, just a thought.

More
13 Jun 2007 12:51 #11 by ricko10 (jamie)
temp was fine. my tanks are positioned where the sun doesnt affect them and the room always stays cool. also i have a pump that is running 24 7 so i dont think oxygen levels are a problem. thank you for your suggestions though :)

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds