Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Snakeskin Gourami's skin looks as if its being eaten away..

More
17 Jun 2007 07:54 #1 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
Well as the post title says, My big Snakeskin Gourami's skin looks as if it's been eaten away, one of its fins has a hole right in the middle and looks as if it's radiating outwards being eaten away. Also has bits around his sides etc that look like chunks have been eaten away. Any ideas what it could be and if so what treatment?

Cheers

Tom

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jun 2007 08:13 #2 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
To be honest Tom without a picture you will not get a definate answer.From the description which is great Id say you have a good chance of someone knowing exactly what it is,but if you want peace of mind and a definate answer try posting pics.It makes the matter alot more interesting and you have more of a chance of finding a cure or treatment,and more importantly the cause!

More
17 Jun 2007 11:25 #3 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)

More
17 Jun 2007 11:56 #4 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
Just tried taking some pictures of him, kept darting away whenever I put the camera near the tank, or my phone. Besides that my camera is crap and wouldnt get a clear image.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jun 2007 01:22 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Snakeskin Gourami's skin looks as if its being eaten away..
Hi Tom,

I would say bacterial infection. Have a look at www.jbl.de. In the hospital section they have a picture if an angel with the symptoms you describe.

By the way, how are your discus doing?

Holger

More
18 Jun 2007 02:34 #6 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
All of the Discus are grand, eating well and growing. :D Will have a look now.

More
18 Jun 2007 02:40 #7 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
Just had a look on there, can't really see one that resembles what he has as all of them are pretty major and whatever he has is the beginning stages..is there anything I can get that will treat it IF it's a bacterial infection?

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jun 2007 03:08 #8 by Anthony (Anthony)
Interpet no. 9 or Myaxzin.
I would also dap/drip some Meth blue onto the wounds too.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jun 2007 04:38 #9 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Snakeskin Gourami's skin looks as if its being eaten away..
@Tom,
misread your initial post. I though thehole was on trhe body itself. But since it is on the fin you might want to consider that the fish was attacked by one of its tankmates. What other fish do you have in with the gourami?
Without a picture it is hard to say what it is. Does the fish still feed?
Glad to hear that your discus are doing well..-

Holger

More
18 Jun 2007 05:23 #10 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Does it have a whitish ring about 3 mm around the hole or is it completely clean cut (one would expect the fin to be clear with a rim about 3 mm where the cut was).

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
18 Jun 2007 06:32 #11 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
@ Holger
He's in the 6 foot Community tank with 3 parrot fish (I'm going to be shot for that :lol: ) 5 Angels, 1xSilver Dollar, 1xBala shark and a kissing Gourami. This lad is the biggest fish in the tank apart from the Bala Shark, I'd say he's about 6 inches I have another few small fish in there but nothing ever bothers the Gourami as he's so big, it's not a bite from another fish as it's a clean hole directly through his anal fin and it looks at first glance to be kind of red all the way around the hole and as said above it seems to be getting bigger. Oh and he's still feeding alright, first to the top for the grub usually.

@Jack
The actual wounds on his body have a whitish look about them alright.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jun 2007 07:19 #12 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
It probably has a bacterial infection plus a secondary fungal infection. Can you isolate the fish? If not you will have to treat the entire tank. IMO the Interpet stuff isn't very good but Tetra, JBL and Esha do broadband medications that should get rid of it. It's a good sign that the fish is still eating

More
18 Jun 2007 07:58 #13 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
I have another 4 foot tank I'd need to set up. About the medications, have you got any actual names for them? the petshop here is pretty crap. :?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jun 2007 09:53 #14 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
esHa 2000, the magic bullet as far as I am concerned. JBL Ektol fluid or Fluranol, TetraMedica General Tonic or sera baktopur direct.

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds