Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Fish surgery audio link with pictures

More
18 Jun 2007 05:55 #1 by zig (zig)
Interesting link I came across, not sure how it will work for 56k, the audio should be fine though just turn it up high the sound seems a bit muted.

Bit scary the thought of turberculosis in your tank though, I presume its transmittable to humans?

The 4 little box's at the top are the different segments, it will play continiously if you just let it flow.

Don't watch it before dinner :P :D enjoy! (ain't to bad)

www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3214/04-rx-flash.html

Just to add it requires a flash player, download that and the link works fine.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jun 2007 07:21 #2 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Fish surgery audio link with pictures
Fish tubercolosis can be transmitted to humans but generally only effects the hands and arms. Still not pleasant

More
18 Jun 2007 08:27 #3 by zale (Mark carroll)
:shock:
Madam I'm afraid we're going to lose your fancy gold fish, unless of coarse you have €120,000 for the life saving operation, the chemo, the physio and the hospital bed...private obviously.
Or you could chuck him in the bin and I'll sell ya another one for €2.50

:lol: Good find zig.

Mark

More
18 Jun 2007 10:01 #4 by goldy (goldy .)
people dont even get treated like that here in our health service. the mind boggles that a fish can be fixed with surgery. the yanks are great. well worth a look.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jun 2007 12:16 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Fish surgery audio link with pictures
A friend of mine's cat got chemotherapy in the US. The beast even has health insurance. Don't make me go there...

More
18 Jun 2007 12:22 #6 by koinonia (koinonia)
its daft!!

aftger all..they are only animals :roll:

More
18 Jun 2007 15:18 #7 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I had a tumor removed from a 4 inch goldfish (it was a comet too) about 17 years ago int eh fisheries research centre in Abbotstown. There was no fancy equipment at all. Fish was put asleep put on a bread board, scapel out, tumor off and after packing wound with white powder back in a bucket of fresh water. All done in a couple of minute. The fish survived and went on to be a daddy :-) It was arranged for me by a friend that was a marine biologist and knoew someone in Abbotstown. I don't think it was standard service. :shock: The guy in the fouth clip needs to get a life or install a lighting conductor.

Daragh

More
18 Jun 2007 18:04 #8 by zig (zig)

I had a tumor removed from a 4 inch goldfish (it was a comet too) about 17 years ago int eh fisheries research centre in Abbotstown. There was no fancy equipment at all. Fish was put asleep put on a bread board, scapel out, tumor off and after packing wound with white powder back in a bucket of fresh water. All done in a couple of minute. The fish survived and went on to be a daddy :-) It was arranged for me by a friend that was a marine biologist and knoew someone in Abbotstown. I don't think it was standard service. :shock: The guy in the fouth clip needs to get a life or install a lighting conductor.

Daragh

Interesting Daragh, in a different life/career I did a good few jobs out in Abbotstown back in the day, did a lot of jobs in the laboratory section, checking for BSE in cows was the main activity they got up to as far as I could see, this was just prior to the mad cow disease outbreak in the UK, we weren't allowed in after that, say those boys were kept busy then!

More
18 Jun 2007 18:55 #9 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
What weird people invent ways to cure fish through surgery and carrying out CAT scans!!

O hang on...I just figured it out...

THE AMERICANS!!

More
18 Jun 2007 18:57 #10 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
I wonder who would give him therapy when he's hit by lightening!!

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jun 2007 19:21 #11 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Fish surgery audio link with pictures
Fish having surgery.
Is it April fools day. Has to be a spoof.

More
19 Jun 2007 10:41 #12 by C M C (C M C)
I don't think its a spoof, I saw a animal show where in the London aquarium a Octopus had an operation and they had to use the same type of equipment to keep it alive while it was outside the water

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds