Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

i have a cheap aldi tank.

More
03 Jul 2007 14:12 #1 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
got this tank to be both hosiptal and to temp home new stock. but at moment the system is over run with guppy fry i can only guess how many there are sixtyish around 36 hours old the ammonia was at 1.0 down to 0.5 going to add some salt have change 10% of water. any other ideas how to control this i think it is just more water changes but at what frequency :?: this was never ment for the number of fry and at moment a larger tank not an option have a powerhead filter chosen at 800 but to powerful for this tank(toy)

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2007 14:20 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I'd say do a large (50%) water change daily. That should keep it under control. I also find Amquel+ good when I have ammonia/nitrITE problems in a new tank. It binds them and makes them harmless to fish, but allows the nitrification process to continue so the tank will eventually cycle. I don't like adding chemicals to my water, but this is a good option in an emergency.

Regards,

Ken.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Jul 2007 14:26 #3 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: i have a cheap aldi tank.
I'd do 1/3 water changes every night, take no chances.
I don't like chemicals, but most say they work fine.

More
03 Jul 2007 14:37 #4 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
thanks folks will do that. well looks like a new tank for me. :twisted: :twisted:

• Red Empress (Red Empress)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Jul 2007 15:24 #5 by Red Empress (Red Empress)
Replied by Red Empress (Red Empress) on topic Re: i have a cheap aldi tank.
For info on Amquel+

www.novalek.com

More
03 Jul 2007 15:57 #6 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I have never tried it, sounds like a good product for emergencies ok, saw if for the first time in Fintastic the other day. You can go direct to product info here

www.novalek.com/aquavet/amquel+.htm

Daragh

More
04 Jul 2007 13:46 #7 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
new tank rekord 60 :twisted: :twisted: going to add the filter and water etc from the toy and water from my main tank! then regular water changes and testing. thus control and i forgot my stash of extra sponge from main tank will go in tomorrow during water change! now i have some where to put it.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Jul 2007 15:53 #8 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: i have a cheap aldi tank.
Add some Safe water and keep testing.
On me hols wont be back till Sunday. If she catches me on a pc she will kill me........byeeeeeeeeeeeee

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Jul 2007 15:54 #9 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: i have a cheap aldi tank.

........byeeeeeeeeeeeee

It's Derek Mooney, I knew it :D

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds