Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

bread soda question

More
08 Jul 2007 12:44 #1 by lampeye (lampeye)
my kh started to drop a bit so lately ive been adding a teaspoon of bread soda to my salt water mix which i leave ageing for one week before use.

every time i use it my water container, thermometer and small powerhead are covered with a white paste. is this normal for bread soda? should it be disolved in boiling water before use or something?

thanks in advance

lampeye

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2007 13:35 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I think it probably is. Anto posted a couple of months back as he had a thick white crust form on one of his heaters. It was from a tank where he buffers with bread soda.

I experemented the other night with a bucket of water as I need to raise the pH in my African tank. It's 7.6 out of the tap, but could be higher. I added bread soda to the bucket and brought it up to 8.2 with about two teaspoons. However, a side effect that I noticed is that it makes the water cloudy. Putting me off using it to be honest.

Regards,

Ken.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2007 13:41 #3 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: bread soda question
Ken.
The cloudy water should only last a few minutes. Contrary to popular belief 7.6 is fine for Africans. I only really buff it so the kh does not go below 1 causing a pH crash.

What African have you got.

More
08 Jul 2007 13:56 #4 by lampeye (lampeye)

Ken.
The cloudy water should only last a few minutes. Contrary to popular belief 7.6 is fine for Africans. I only really buff it so the kh does not go below 1 causing a pH crash.

hi anto do u disolve it in a container and if so does it leave a chalky residue?

lampeye

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2007 13:57 #5 by Anthony (Anthony)
I mix it in a bucket first and add it in small doses to every bucket I add to the tank.

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2007 14:16 #6 by paulm (paulm)
Replied by paulm (paulm) on topic Re: bread soda question
Is there anyway you could add to your top up water. :?:

More
08 Jul 2007 14:21 #7 by lampeye (lampeye)
its a closed lid tank so i add very little or no top up water

lampeye

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2007 14:22 #8 by Anthony (Anthony)
I can`t talk for Marine but thats what I do when I do a water change.

More
08 Jul 2007 14:23 #9 by lampeye (lampeye)
yes and does it leave a chalky paste??

lampeye

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2007 14:32 #10 by paulm (paulm)
Replied by paulm (paulm) on topic Re: bread soda question
Im no expert but try this ; cup of boiling water, 1 spoon of breadsoda stir well and then add to salt mix.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds