Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sick Molly

More
15 Jul 2007 22:05 #1 by decmac71 (Declan McNamara)
Hi,

I added 2 mollies to my community tank today and neither seem to be doing well.

They are only in about 4 hours now and one is sticking to the surface of the water and doesnt seem to be able to swim very well, fins look limp....I've now moved him back into the bag and floating it in the tank (I dont have a hospital tank or anywhere else to put him)

The other one is staying at the bottom of the tank in the one place.

Both were swimming freely when added first......

Water params seem OK : Temp 26, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.

Tank also has :

6 Rosy Barbs (been in it for approx 10 weeks)
4 Platies ( 1 week in tank)
2 Moonlight Gouramis (1 week)
12 Neons (today)
2 Mollies (today).

All doing OK except for the mollies.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,
Declan.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2007 23:02 #2 by ricko10 (jamie)
Replied by ricko10 (jamie) on topic Re:Sick Molly
Most mollies require salt.The ones you by are usually hybrids by carefully crossing 2 or more species. Some molly species live in freshwater and some live in brackish water, and the hybrids usually have a bit of both in them.
In purley freshwater most(not all) will suffer with fungus, fin rot and the shimmies and all of these if left un noticed will result in death!
In my opinion keeping mollies in a purley freshwater tank is not an option.
The only way forward would be to add aquarium salt, which if you had certain types of fish then this wouldn't be a problem. but looking at the fish you have then this isnt an option.
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but if there is a way around this im sure someone will be along soon to let you know.

More
15 Jul 2007 23:43 #3 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re:Sick Molly
Hi Declan,

You should keep an eye on your water parameters. That's a lot of fish to add in one go. You've essentially incrased your stocking level by over 100% in one go which will put the biological side of your filter under pressure as it tries to keep up the ammonia produced by the additional fish. One of those lessons you learn early in fish keeping - been there done that.;)

Regards,

Ken.

More
16 Jul 2007 00:14 #4 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Would adding a small bit of salt to a tank damage live plants that are in the tank?

More
16 Jul 2007 08:31 #5 by decmac71 (Declan McNamara)
There are no live plants in the tank but I'm not sure if adding salt is going to affect the rest of the tank mates. If so I'd prefer to forget the mollies...

Thanks,
Declan

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jul 2007 08:54 #6 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Sick Molly
Hi declan,
did you check the water they came from? It sounds like the mollies have a pH shock. Did you acclimatize them to your tankwater first?
Almost forgot to contact you. Richard gave my a CD for you at the last meeting. PM me regards collection or I can post it too. Might be in Glenmire on Thursday.

Holger

More
16 Jul 2007 19:39 #7 by decmac71 (Declan McNamara)
If its a case of pH shock will they recover or is it fatal ? I guess there is no simple answer to that question but thought I'd ask anyway!

They were aclimatised to the water before adding them, I added some of the tank water to the bag and left it float for about 30 mins and then added them (without the water).

Declan

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jul 2007 22:34 #8 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Sick Molly
Hi Declan,
they might and they might not.
Next time you buy fish check pH of the water in the bag first. If there is a big differnec slowly add some tankwater to the bag every 10 minutes. It might take a bit longer than those 30 minutes to acclimatize them.

Holger

More
17 Jul 2007 00:24 #9 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re:Sick Molly
I think it's good practice to aclimatise fish for 30 mins before adding to a new tank as most likely the pH, hardness and/or temperature are different to the water in the bag.<br><br>Post edited by: KenS, at: 2007/07/17 12:55

Regards,

Ken.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds