Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

bog wood accident

More
19 Jul 2007 02:30 #1 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Like most people i added the occasional pits and pieces. i purchased some bog wood consider my stock and size and the size of the holes in the bog wood and everybody was happy. that is till my biggest yo yo got lodged. i managed to release her using stress coat as lub it was the only safe thing i could think of(or panic would allow me to think of) To night after returning from the meeting i finely got to inspect my yo yo and i noticed the yo yo pattern was barely visible i did note some slime on my hand and was not able to I.D at time(note to self get a microscope) i have added melafix and stress coats as advised but is there any thing else i can do, the fish itself is going happily about its business feeding etc do slightly shy but plying with the other loaches quite happily! but any advice on what else to do would be greatly appreciated

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2007 02:52 #2 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
What can i say.............. mmmmmmmm....... Stop!!!!!! ok, loaches have an ability to get stuck in bogwood etc, but as long as your water quality is fine there should be no longterm probs!
PS dont use stress coat as lube?????!!!!!!!!!

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jul 2007 08:46 #3 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:bog wood accident
Just a question : what could be used as a safe lubricant in the case of a fish getting stuck somewhere in the decor? I have a couple of (yoyo) loaches and you have me worried !:(
Valerie

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jul 2007 10:33 #4 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:bog wood accident
Hi Valerie,
water is just about the only thing that you can safely use. Don't panic anyway. fish usually will get out of the holes they got themselves into.

Holger

More
19 Jul 2007 10:37 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:bog wood accident
My suggestion, and I'm prepared to be shot down in flames over it... would be to use some sort of waterproof 'jelly' such as Vaseline. this would need to be applied to the fish out of water and then it be gently coaxed through the 'hole' no way should you consider trying to push the loach backwards (ie from the head) as you will have both the spines and the fins to contend with - both of these will act as 'barbs' only allowing a forward 'direction'. As you know I lost one of my Rostrata Loaches due to it becoming lodged in a partition 'hole' and there was no way it would ever go backwards. Sadly I had nothing to use to hand to lubricate its way through but I fear that fish was a 'lost cause' anyhow.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jul 2007 12:45 #6 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:bog wood accident
Hi John,
Vaseline is petroleum based. Not a good idea to rub this on fish or condoms:laugh:
KY jelly might be an option (will need to read the lable what's in it but the stuff is water based)

However, I still fail to see the point. First of all let me say I have never had a fish lodged into a place where it couldn't come out by its own. But let's just assume that a fish got stuck in an awkward spot. No amount of lubricant will offset of locked dorsal and pectoral fins. It about the same as if you were trying to pull out a barbed fishing hook stuck in your hand by rubbing vaseline on it. From experience let me tell you it ain't going to happen

More
19 Jul 2007 23:34 #7 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:bog wood accident
...there you go...:blush:

;)

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Jul 2007 11:00 #8 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:bog wood accident
Don`t worry John. Mikey mght have had a tube of Vaseline in his hands when you wrote this and your post and Holgers answer saved his fish.B)

I agree with Holger I have only ever see one fish getting stuck and that was a Severnum in a rock.
I got rid of all my Tanganyikans last week from my Lupota tank.
I hope to have a colony were fry will grow to adults without being removed or eaten. Anyway I removed all the rocks and could not find my Yoyo loach. He was lodged in a rock outside the tank.
Anyway the point is I could not remove him myself from the rock but he freed himself wen he wanted to about an hour later.
I have Chrism as a witness if you don`t believe me.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds