Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sick Severum

More
22 Jul 2007 19:35 #1 by steven (steven)
Sick Severum was created by steven (steven)
Guys wondering if you can help me out here, i have 6 severums in a 300 litre tank 2 of the severums are showing quite small marks on there forehead they are white marks about the size of small pimple on a child i've never seen marks like this before on them. My water parameters are perfect nothing out of the ordinary no aggression problems witnessed and no fish added anytime recently, the only other tank mates are a breeding pair of bristlenose which are fine. They are eating fine and i just want to catch what ever it is before it gets outta control.

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2007 21:14 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re:Sick Severum
If there are no other symptoms bar these marks, it could just be small scars - have you noticed any agression?

If it is an illness, it could be HITH (hole in the head). You can get treatments from any LFS. Metrodinazole is also used to treat this, but you would need to get it from a vet as it's a prescribed antibiotic. Flagyl is the most common trade name for it in Ireland. It's used to treat humans too.

Regards,

Ken.

More
22 Jul 2007 22:03 #3 by Deeco (Deeco)
Replied by Deeco (Deeco) on topic Re:Sick Severum
I had these scars before just above mouths in line with eyes couple of days later a pair were breeding
are they locking lips?
Can you see shuttering towrad a female?

You know yourself

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jul 2007 00:34 #4 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:Sick Severum
Are the \"pimples\" concave or convex.
What are you feeding your fish. Severnums are omnivores.
Red wriggler worms should sort them out. The common garden variety. Just purge them first.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jul 2007 08:13 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Sick Severum
Are the white pimples falling out of and are leaving a hole. Lateral Line Erosion (that's what they call hole in the head disease now). If they are still eating add some vitamins to their food.
Is your water very soft? If yes, they could lake minerals. If you could post a picture, I could tell you what it is.

Holger

More
23 Jul 2007 21:46 #6 by steven (steven)
Replied by steven (steven) on topic Re:Sick Severum
Cheers guys for the replys i had a bit of methylene blue in a botttle so i gave them a small dosage last night and it seems to have done the trick the marks have faded a good bit and there is no other problems i think u might be right with the hole in the head thing i read up on it and after viewing a few pictures it looked very similar. What causes this and what is in the methylene blue that counteracts it?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Jul 2007 09:16 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
hi Steven,
methylenblue will not cure Hole in the Head disease. You might as well try feeding them smarties to heal it:cheer:

Hole in the Head disease which is called Lateral Line Erosion now is caused by a a lack of minerals, vitamin D and stress combined with an infection of flagelattes. It's quite complex and science can't fully explain it yet.
If you keep, for example, discus in very soft water they are more likely to develop the disease than they would in hard water. In some way this is strange since discus come from very soft water areas in the wild. However, they mainly feed on small shrimp where they probably get their minerals from. The average discus diet in aquariums will not supply tehm

Holger

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Jul 2007 09:35 #8 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Sick Severum
Anthony wrote:

Just purge them first.

What does this mean?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Jul 2007 10:52 #9 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
make sure they took a dump first

More
24 Jul 2007 18:13 #10 by steven (steven)
Cheers Holger i heard that somewhere before about methelyene blue i think i read it somewhere, there was an article about this and i think melafix not to sure if thats the name but something similar, they said the only benefit of this melafix is it fragrances the room the fish tank is in.

Anyways back to the severum all marks are completly gone have taken a couple of Pictures when marks where there so if i can find my camera usb lead i will upload them. I sat down earlier for an hour or so watching for aggression and noticed what i think maybe a male and female (you might be able to confirm from pictures) doing a little merry dance around 1 another and if any of the other severums come within striking distance they get lashed out of it. I have had severums breed before not any of my present ones and everything was quiet and smooth this behaviour is new to me. Although i have never kept these particular breed of severum before it might be that they are slightly more aggresive then the gold severums i have kept in the past. Jill identified them as turquoise severums i will try find the link to an old picture about 6 months old they have nearly doubled in size since then.

Here is the link of which i think is the male
www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/index.php?o...10&limitstart=30

Post edited by: steven, at: 2007/07/24 19:21

More
24 Jul 2007 23:19 #11 by Deeco (Deeco)
Replied by Deeco (Deeco) on topic Re:Sick Severum
as i said in earier post this is exactly what happened in my tank with my severums the hole in the head were from males locking lips to show who were the dominant male to this day the female won't \"Dance\" with any other male,

when i first saw the scars i thought it was hole in the head don't be surprised to see eggs layed on a rock or piece of slate in your tank<br><br>Post edited by: Deeco, at: 2007/07/25 00:21

You know yourself

More
25 Jul 2007 14:36 #12 by steven (steven)
Cheers deeco will let you know if anything happens i have a bit of slate and some ceramic plant pots in there so it should do the trick.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Jul 2007 22:17 #13 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:Sick Severum
Purging worms.
Its a little of a secret that Red Garden worms help against
Spironulceus Vortens in Discus.
Before feeding you must purge them.

1 collect/buy the worms from somewhere that you are 100% sure that no chemicals have been used.ie.Insecticide/fertiliser.

2 Rinse off excess soil from worms.

3 Place the worms in a container with some damp news paper and leave over night. The worms should expel all the soil by morning.<br><br>Post edited by: Anthony, at: 2007/07/26 21:28

More
25 Jul 2007 23:54 #14 by steven (steven)
Cheers Anthony great tip there will give it a try.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds