Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

HELP!!

More
25 Jul 2007 13:47 #1 by sparky (sparky)
HELP!! was created by sparky (sparky)
Hey all,

well, im having one of the worst weeks ive had in a long time... on saturday, i got a nice new jade goby from my LFS. since i got it, the chemistry in my tank had gone to hell, my nitrates, nitrites and ammonia are at dangerously high levels, and worst of all, i lost my shark-cat, after having him as long as ive been keeping brackish fish... :(

ive did a large water chang on monday evening, and i did another water change this morning, after finding id lost one of my mono's too...

so, does anybody have any suggestions as to why my all my filters would have crashed?? they all appear to be cycling now, but i want to know what caused this, and how i prevent it from happening again!

thanks,

brian

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2007 14:39 #2 by steven (steven)
Replied by steven (steven) on topic Re:HELP!!
I've had similar trouble in the past it was when i first started to keep fish and i think someone here asked me if i had added the water from the bag the new fish came in. And i had after this i never added the water again and have had no such trouble since.

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

More
25 Jul 2007 15:06 #3 by sparky (sparky)
Replied by sparky (sparky) on topic Re:HELP!!
well, 8ive been using the same LFS since i started in the hobby, and have never once had any problems with the water from their tanks coming into my tank... but i suppose that could be the reason for it... ive been looking around, trying to find a bit of information onmy jade goby... it seems to be a bit on the aggressive side, does anyone know if this is normal for them?

thanks,

Brian

More
25 Jul 2007 15:12 #4 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re:HELP!!
Since it's a brackish tank, have you checked your SG? The filter bacteria for brackish and freshwater are different so a change in SG could have impacted your bacteria and caused the crash.

If the goby was in fresh water and you emptied the bag into the tank, then it could have impacted the SG. However, it would want to be a pretty small tank for this to happen.

What sort of tank is it and what type of filter do you have?

Regards,

Ken.

More
25 Jul 2007 15:20 #5 by sparky (sparky)
hey ken,

well, the SG seems to be ok... ive checked everything i can think of! its a fairly large tank, about 350 liters. there's two internal filters, doing 1000L p/h, an external canister filter, doing 150L p/h (the water going to this runs through bio-balls first) and there is a large sponge filter (the one's used in most LFS)

im just hoping that now i can get the filters back up and running, before i start to loose more fish! i guess it'll just have to be plenty of water changes, and hope, and some more water changes!!

could the new fish have brought something into the tank with it???

B

More
25 Jul 2007 15:26 #6 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re:HELP!!
You seem to have plenty of filtration. This is very odd. I've never heard of a fish bringing anything into a tank that distroys filter bacteria.

Is it possible that you had a power cut you're not aware of? One for more than 3 hours would cause this.

Regards,

Ken.

More
25 Jul 2007 15:30 #7 by sparky (sparky)
well, there's another tank with that one, and a 120, 180 and 60 liter tank in the house, and all of them seem ok, so i dont think it was a power cut...

i guess ill just have to keep a close eye on the tank for now, and hope for the best...

More
04 Aug 2007 21:33 #8 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Replied by platty252 (Darren Dalton) on topic Re:HELP!!
I have seen a couple of Gobys for sale in lfs called jade gobys.
Most of the time it is Dormitator maculatus. A fat sleeper goby.
I kept these for about 2 years and found them verry placid. I have even witnessed them inhale fry from other fish and spit them out again.
The closest i have seen to aggression is them pushing against each other for a resting spot. They are big softies.
The water can be anywhere between 0sg and 1.020sg.
If they are stressed they will show a dark saddled band across there back almost going completely black.
They feed every other day so dont be worried if you dont see them feeding all the time.

As for the filter, i really dont know why they crashed. I cant see how a small amount of fresh water would kill your filters.
Hope this info helps and keep us up to date how the fish are. I have always had a soft spot for gobys.

They like dim lighting so the addition of some kind of overhang for it to hide under may help it to settle down. If this dosent work you may have to add another one. They dont like to be on there own.
Males have a bulbous head and females have a pointer head.<br><br>Post edited by: platty252, at: 2007/08/06 00:08

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds