Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Snail kills fry!

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Didihno (Didihno)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Aug 2007 09:48 #1 by Didihno (Didihno)
Snail kills fry! was created by Didihno (Didihno)
I almost forgot to post this but over the weekend (I had a really bad weekend for fish deaths) I lost 23 guppy fry. I had a small Apple snail in with them, it was there to clean up sunken food and the like and was doing a great job too, until it died. Perhaps it starved, but there was a lot of food on the bottom of the tank that it was ignoring for days.

Apparently snails must be removed very quickly as they foul the water much faster than a dead fish would. It must have died sometime Sunday night and of course we didn't get home till Monday at 6pm. There was a scum on top of the water any many little dead fry, incredibly two survived. The two remaining guppy fry are in with the cichlid fry now, amazingly they are still alive. I took out the snail I had in the cichlid fry tank and so now have three in my community tank.

So a note of warning to any of you that have snails, check them daily, especially in the morning.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2007 11:59 #2 by Tetra (Tetra)
Replied by Tetra (Tetra) on topic Re:Snail kills fry!
Just wondering didihno I have loads of malaysian trumpet snails close to 300 id say as these are only 1 inch max size its very hard to see if there dead as they are most likely stuck in the substrate.
Well my question is will the snail just degrade and become fert for plants or will the snails eat the dead body.
Should I be worried

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Didihno (Didihno)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Aug 2007 14:34 #3 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Snail kills fry!
Hi,
I'm by no means an expert as this was my first (painful) lesson with snails.
I did some internet research and found that the big snails (Apple etc) degrade very quickly.
I would assume though, that if enough of your small snails died in one go you could get the same effect. you are in luck however, as there are plenty of options for you with snail infestations like that.
Don't bother with poisons (IMO adding chemicals to the tank is not a good idea, I don't care how effective they are) instead go get a couple of loaches, like Clown or Pakistani. These fish allegdly eat snails with gusto.
Also you could get some dwarf puffers, as they definitely eat snails, its their primary diet.
Hope this helps, and of course go do some research on those trumpet snails.

Darah

More
03 Aug 2007 16:44 #4 by Tetra (Tetra)
Replied by Tetra (Tetra) on topic Re:Snail kills fry!
oh darah I put them in there roughly about 4 months ago for my dwarf puffer but sadly he passed away some time ago.
There no problem at all in fact there probably the best snail out there in my opinion they dont eat your plants only eat ditrus and algae.

I find them great I only did a water change yesterday after 3 months as Iv have been experiment with nirate minus because im going traveling but the snails kept the glass absaloutly spotless didnt clean the glass in 3 months and not 1 bit of algae. Another great thing about them is there nocternal so you wont be seeing them stuck to the glass during the day.
I am hopefully gear towards an easily mantainable aquarium while im away so my brother or parents can just add the nitrate minus and food and thats it.When im back ill just be letting a clown loach loose on them as I susspect there numbers will be huge by that stage

Anyone interested in a few off these snails dont hesitate to pm me

More
03 Aug 2007 17:42 #5 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
I guess we both had a terrible weekend for fish deaths then!! I came home to fry happily muching on brine shrimp eggs...i went mad but it was an innocent mistake by the person who was in charge of feeding them. The fry of course died...30 of them. I was sickened. But thankfully the very decorative swordtail which I found in a store (and have yet to find a swordtail as nice since) gave birth to her first batch of fry, all five survived...and they have the most amazing colours already!! Swordtails (in my opinion) make the best fry!! :):)

But RIP to the 30 odd Black molly fry!!

Sorry to hear about your fry too Didihno, stupid snail!! :side:

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds