Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

The Great Ancistrus Massacre

More
09 Aug 2007 08:37 #1 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Ok here's a real peach.

I've lost all of my Ancistrus Catfish in the space of 2 weeks.

I had 6 huge adults (3 male/3 female) and two juveniles.

I'll start from the start, first of all my heater got stuck in the on position, it was at about 33 degrees celsius.After many water changes and change of heater the tank has settled down. Only a couple of tetras died, nothing major, so i was happy enough.

After a couple of days, some ancistrus developed huge white polka dots all over their bodies, it looked like big cysts, only everywhere. Gradually the cysts got bigger and deeper, as if they were eating away at the flesh.The fish eventually were eatin alive by these cysts before my eyes.Some of the holes were huge and very disturbing.

This has only effected my Ancistrus, I didn't take any photographs.

It looked very like hole-in-the-head disease, Any clues anyone?

This is like nothing i've seen before.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Aug 2007 10:20 #2 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:The Great Ancistrus Massacre
Did it look like this:
www.jbl.de/onlinehospital/perpicture/hos...l_pictures/003_m.jpg
which would be a fungal infection

or like any of these which are bacterial ones:

www.jbl.de/onlinehospital/perpicture/hos...l_pictures/005_v.jpg

www.jbl.de/onlinehospital/perpicture/hos...l_pictures/005_y.jpg

www.jbl.de/onlinehospital/perpicture/hos...l_pictures/005_z.jpg

or like this which is Glossatella:
www.jbl.de/onlinehospital/perpicture/hos...l_pictures/008_a.jpg

I doubt that you had hole in the head disease since catfish are not really prone to it

Holger

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Aug 2007 11:22 #3 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re:The Great Ancistrus Massacre
Another case in point,all the nasties that can harm your fish are ever present in your water.Its all about keeping parameters stable enough as to not let them take effect.

Sorry to hear that Peter.

Ps Give me a shout if you are still interested in some Tangs?

More
09 Aug 2007 12:50 #4 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Holger,

It was definitely the very first \"Bacterial\" link, it was really nasty and stressed me out looking at the poor fish. It took hold so quickly and aggressively, it was shocking.

Chris, still interested in some tangs. I have my new tank at home, its empty. Gotta get the substrate, rocks and background. I have an external fiter running in another tank to kick start the tank but i don't want to rush it. I'll be in touch with you to pick your brains, if you don't mind.

Thanks Lads.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Aug 2007 13:42 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:The Great Ancistrus Massacre
Bacterial infections generally progress quite rapidly in catfish since they have no scales and the bacteria can spread faster. Any before anybody posts that their catfish have scales, let me tel you that what you think are scales are actually scutes which are bony plates.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds