Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Dead Tiger Barbs

More
16 Aug 2007 10:53 #1 by zale (Mark carroll)
Hi Guys,
I need a little help on something. 2 of my fully grown tiger barbs have died, there was no physical signs of damage on fins or body and even the day before they were eating well, as usual.
The only difference in the last couple of days has been the introduction of plants
Although I have the lights on during the day & air off, I do run air during the night.

Hygro polysperma
Ech tenellus
Bocopa monnieri
Ambulia aquatica

Water was checked last Saturday & was the same as the day they died.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate less than 5ppm
Ph 7 - 7.2 (must get a digital read out)
Temp 25*c

Also I have PM’d steven cause I got them off him a while back fully grown to see if it was old age, which he has rule out for me as cause of death.
So could it have been something to do with the plants or am I missing something.

Thanks
Mark

Oh tank mates are GT’s, blue acaras, fire mouth, yoyo & polka dot loaches, common plec

Mark

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Red Empress (Red Empress)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Aug 2007 11:08 #2 by Red Empress (Red Empress)
Replied by Red Empress (Red Empress) on topic Re:Dead Tiger Barbs
Hi Mark

Sorry about your losses mate. :(

I can't see it being the plants unless something came in on them. But if that had happened then you would have lost more fish.:unsure:

Jill<br><br>Post edited by: Red Empress, at: 2007/08/16 13:10

More
16 Aug 2007 15:21 #3 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Sorry for your loss. Air off is likely to be the issue. Tiger barbs are very sensitive to low oxyegen levels in the water. I assume filtration is still left running and only the airstone is turned off or does air run your filtration? If you are using air to run filtration it must run 24 7. Did you always turn off the air during the day or is it something you only started recently? Have you observed the fish with the air off and are they spending more time at the surface?

More
16 Aug 2007 16:36 #4 by zale (Mark carroll)
Daragh Owens wrote:

Sorry for your loss. Air off is likely to be the issue. Tiger barbs are very sensitive to low oxyegen levels in the water. I assume filtration is still left running and only the air stone is turned off or does air run your filtration? If you are using air to run filtration it must run 24 7. Did you always turn off the air during the day or is it something you only started recently? Have you observed the fish with the air off and are they spending more time at the surface?

I think your right Daragh

I have an internal filter &amp; an eheim 2217 running. 2 air stones ran intermittently from early morning to 11pm ish until I but the plants in , now the air runs from 9pm to 6am continuously. BUT they were at the surface that morning cause I had set the timer wrong &amp; immediately turned on the air for a few hours &amp; that evening they were dead.
Although soon after the air went on all fish were back to normal (so it seemed)

Would this have been enough to cause the deaths.

Mark

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds