Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

shrimp goin mad

More
04 Sep 2006 13:02 #1 by lampeye (lampeye)
:shock:
i found a dead shrimp today and anoter one is on the way out!
and 4 of them are climbing all over each other on a piece of wood near the top of the tank.... (maybe ridin) just checked my water and everything is perfect...even the nitrate is zero. religious about my wcs and there is plenty of oxygen. i did add some new plants yest so it must be them, all the other fish (incl discus) are grand. gonna put some carbon and melafix in for safe measure.....any ideas anyone?
:cry:

lampeye

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2006 13:41 #2 by lampeye (lampeye)

lampeye

More
05 Sep 2006 14:04 #3 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I have never come accross this before with shrimps.
If it was me i would remove them from the tank. Place them in a spare tank, even a tub would do.
I would use 50% tank water and 50% fresh with a small amounth of salt added. Add some decor or gravel from the tank for bactaria.
You may also need to add an airstone.
I would let this cool down to room temp.
Keep an eye on the fish over the next couple of days as this could be a sighn of something in the water.
You say you have Discus in the tank. Maybe the temp. is to high for the shrimp.

I wouldnt bother with the melafix. I have tryed this for all sorts and it didnt seem to do anything except froth the top of the water and add fragrence to the room. Thats just my experience with melafix.
If you were to add melafix and carbon, the carbon would just absorb the melafix.
This is just my oppinion, someone else here may have come accross this problem before.

More
06 Sep 2006 03:52 #4 by lampeye (lampeye)
i dont think its the temp because its been 30C for 6 months with no problems. ... did a 40per cent wc and will do another one tonight. no more deaths...weird behaviour though.
youre right about the melafix/carbon but i just thought id add some anyway.

lampeye

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Sep 2006 05:23 #5 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: shrimp goin mad

I wouldnt bother with the melafix. I have tryed this for all sorts and it didnt seem to do anything except froth the top of the water and add fragrence to the room. Thats just my experience with melafix.
If you were to add melafix and carbon, the carbon would just absorb the melafix.
This is just my oppinion, someone else here may have come accross this problem before.

Melafix is just tea tree oil. It is useless and I am saying that from experience.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Sep 2006 05:24 #6 by Anthony (Anthony)

:shock:
(maybe ridin) ?
:cry:

PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol:

I won`t even edit it.

More
06 Sep 2006 05:34 #7 by lampeye (lampeye)
whats pmsl?

lampeye

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Sep 2006 09:34 #8 by Anthony (Anthony)
PISS MY SELF LAUGHING.

More
08 Sep 2006 01:52 #9 by lampeye (lampeye)
no update yet my shrimp have become reclusive now...did a couple of big water changes, gonna do another one tomorrow.....see if i can find them.
all the other fish seem fine except an apisto who's breathing a bit heavy...seems to be improving so fingers crossed.... 8)

lampeye

More
08 Sep 2006 15:28 #10 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Panda i'm cureious as to what level do your shrimp be at in such a high temp.
Top, middle, bottom or all over the tank.

More
08 Sep 2006 17:28 #11 by lampeye (lampeye)
all over , sometimes on the bottom, sometimes on plants in the middle sometimes on the top on the bogwood like the photo...but i haven't seen any of them in the last day or so....

lampeye

More
08 Sep 2006 17:29 #12 by lampeye (lampeye)
ps shllies are lovin the shells, thanks a million. :wink:

lampeye

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds