Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Holiday carnage

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Didihno (Didihno)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Sep 2007 11:21 #1 by Didihno (Didihno)
Holiday carnage was created by Didihno (Didihno)
One week in Malta was all I asked!

I came back to my 400l Cichlid tank smelling like piss.
They had not been overfed too much, but there was fish waste everywhere.
Immediate panic set in and I have cleaned the tank bottom, which was completely covered in fish waste. Neither of my filters were working properly.
The Fluval 4+ internal was clogged, but I knew this was coming and just didn't have time to clean it before I left.
But I had cleaned my Fluval 405 external filter, and its flow rate was down to a trickle.
I cleaned it out again (not much new dirt) and after breaking the pathetic plastic primer got it going again the old fashioned way (yuk!).
Its power or flowrate is not good, its less than a year old too.
OK so now the water is still a bit smelly, but the fish are much happier, as they were very lethargic and gasping for air etc. I have changed out about 100l.
How many more large changes should I do?

Losses.
Not many thankfully.
1 Tretocephalus dead and uneaten, which leads me to think it happened just before we got back on Sat. This fish had been bullied by another tret, so I probably should have gotten rid of it earlier.

1 mouthful of L. Caerulus eggs/fry lost.
I don't know if they died or didn't hatch because of poor water or if they were just eaten.
Either way, dammit.

1 Male Caerulus with a nasty mouth injury, top lip on one side bitten clean off.
All you can see is his row of sharp little teeth. He is in fine fettle and it doesn't seem to be causing distress or stopping him eating in any way. Neven seen this before, anyone?

I'd appreciate comments or suggestions on any of the above.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2007 11:33 #2 by essjay (S Jackson)
I've did about a 300L+ water change recently on the 400L Tanganyika tank and the fish were grand. Wouldn't hurt to do another 100L today and maybe a further 100L at the weekend. As long as the bacteria are ok in the filter and the water is treated going in you should be fine.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Sep 2007 11:52 #3 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Holiday carnage
In this case one big water change is better tahn two small ones. Did you actually test your water? I'm not too sure how well your filter bacteria have come through all this but that doesn't really matter in your case. I'd change 80% of the water and keep an eye on ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If you get spikes in the former two you might have to repeat big water changes until your filter bacteria have built up again in sufficient numbers. Clean out the internal filter. there was no waterflow over it for a while and you might as well get rid of all the gunk.

I am no great friend of Fluval external filters (you probabyl have all figured this one out by now) and this is just another case of a bad design gone horribly wrong.

You male caerulus should be Ok and heal up (the lip might not grow back though) once your water parameters are OK.

More
17 Sep 2007 12:09 #4 by Pablo (Pablo -)
Replied by Pablo (Pablo -) on topic Re:Holiday carnage
sorry for your losses... When i go on holidays i usually use an automatic feeder and feed about 1/2 of the regular dosis... fish can survive for a week with no food without any issues so don't be affraid to reduce the ammount of food for a few days... also these reduce the ammount of waste they produce when the tank is unattended...

As Apistodiscus mentioned... you better of doing a big water change.. as your filters are mature

good luck!
Pablo

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Didihno (Didihno)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Sep 2007 14:38 #5 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Holiday carnage
Right, I'm going to test the water now, and start another big water change.
Thanks all.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds