Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Flubenol

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • apistodiscus (apistodiscus)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Sep 2007 09:37 #1 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Flubenol was created by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
I found a dewormer for dogs and cats in my local hardware store and the active ingredient is Flubendazol, i.e. trade name in the fishkeeping scene Flubenol.
I have use Flubenol for many years to deworm discus and dwarf cichlids but Flubenol is getting expensive these days. Did anybody ever try to use the stuff meant for cat /dogs?<br><br>Post edited by: apistodiscus, at: 2007/09/18 16:57

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Sep 2007 19:12 #2 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:Flubenol
I heard its dodgy.
Turkey wormer is fine though.The experts might disagree and say you can`t use it but I know a top Discus breeder who uses it all
the time but won`t touch the Cat/dog stuff.

More
18 Sep 2007 19:27 #3 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re:Flubenol
Here's two guys in the UK selling it on eBay.

One guy selling enough to treat 100 gallons. Not bad a price but wouldn't last too long.

cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&am...K:MEWA:IT&ih=003

There another guy selling enough to treat 1,000 gallons which works out at €33 without postage. I suppose it would do you for a few years to not bad value.

cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&am...K:MEWA:IT&ih=018

Might opt for the 1,000 gallon treatment myself.

Regards,

Ken.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Sep 2007 19:40 #4 by Anthony (Anthony)
I can get it back in for cheaper.
It anyone is interested in Flubenol I will start selling it again.

More
18 Sep 2007 19:55 #5 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re:Flubenol
I'd certainly be interested.

Regards,

Ken.

More
18 Sep 2007 21:00 #6 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Replied by Acara (Dave Walters) on topic Re:Flubenol
I would some.
Theres a guy on corydoras world forum trialling the stuff.He's got several tanks being dosed with it and some control tanks too(if I recall,had a few drams on board when I read it,must re-read it).He's keeping track of its effects on hydra,skin flukes,water chemistry,fry,plants,water clarity,etc,etc.Interesting reading.
I would print it and bring it to meeting,but dont want to breach any copyrights,so join www.corydorasworld.com and learn about these fascinating fish and flubenol!!:) :)

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
18 Sep 2007 22:41 #7 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Paul Fox, one of those ebay sellers is to the best of my knowledge the UK distributor for flubenol, which was originally developed by Grenville at Devon Discus. The same seller has a 2000 gallon pack for sale too, just look at other items for sale. He has a website www.flubenol.co.uk but it is down the last few days. As Acara said there is lots about it on Cory World.

Post edited by: Daragh Owens, at: 2007/09/19 05:44

• Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Sep 2007 08:48 #8 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Flubenol
Met my GP in the bookies last night. 3-1 for Ireland losing by more than 30 points on Friday was too good an offer to refuse.
Anyoldhow, Flubenol is also used to deworm humans and is available on prescription. Don't have a price yet but he thinks that is very cheap.

Flubendazole, trade name Flubenol, was not developped for aquatic use but for deworming pigs but is also used for chicken and turkey.It's the same stuff (Methyl-(5-(4-fluorobenzoyl)-
1-H-benzimidazol-2-yl)carbamat) but I will have to find out if we need a prescription from a vet or if it is an over the counter treatment.Here's the link from the Irish Medicine Board www.imb.ie/view_spc.asp?pa_number=10545%2F008%2F001
The stuff for farm use is only 5% so will need to be upscales. My GP is getting back to me on Friday when we collect the money from the bookie to see what concentration is available for human use.
If any of you want to have a read about the treatment of hydra, intestinal parasites, flukes, etc. here's a good read www.inkmkr.com/Fish/FlubendazoleTreatment.pdf or here's one along the same lines from the American Killifish Assoc. www.inkmkr.com/Fish/FlubendazoleArticle.pdf

An a treatment for 2000 gallons doesn't last all that long either depending on how many tanks you have ;)<br><br>Post edited by: apistodiscus, at: 2007/09/19 16:20

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Sep 2007 09:32 #9 by Anthony (Anthony)
I buy it straight from Granville Hammond.
Will order some this week. It takes about 3 weeks to get here.
Keep you all posted.

More
21 Sep 2007 03:31 #10 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I see a post from Paul Fox on Coryworld saying that the product needs to be re-licenced due a change in the law from October and it will also be re-branded as someone is copying it and the copy does not work. Grenville was the original developer for the aquatic form.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Sep 2007 08:40 #11 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Flubenol
Daragh Owens wrote:

I see a post from Paul Fox on Coryworld saying that the product needs to be re-licenced due a change in the law from October and it will also be re-branded as someone is copying it and the copy does not work. Grenville was the original developer for the aquatic form.

Or so he tells you. Ok, Nessa, you may call me cynical again

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds