Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

advised needed

• damienp (damienp)
  • damienp (damienp)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Sep 2007 21:26 #1 by damienp (damienp)
advised needed was created by damienp (damienp)
Hi guys just wondering if you can help me,i recently restocked my tank and now the nitrate has risen to 20 and the nitrate is just under0.5, ph is 6.5. Just wondering is this spike usual when you add new fish and will it go down itself or is there something i can do. Te fish i have now are guppys, tetras and mollys i'm using the nutrafin max flakes to feed them but ive seen the granuals are these better or is there something better i could use.thanks for your help still trying to find my feet and have the least amount of casualties.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2007 21:52 #2 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
HI damienp,
I am assuming you mean nitrite is o.5 have you got areding for ammonia please!
the ph is sound for Guppys their range is 5.5- 8.5 the mollies depending on what they are should be ok the tetra which type again should be ok. I would add some tonic salt. as for food I always advise varity and have found this to be the best way to get the most from my stock moderation in feeding and regular water changes and observation is the secret to good fishkeeping.<br><br>Post edited by: mwdragondk, at: 2007/09/20 05:11

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

• damienp (damienp)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Sep 2007 23:05 #3 by damienp (damienp)
Replied by damienp (damienp) on topic Re:advised needed
i only have a basic test an it doesnt have te ammonia level. it has the general hardness 120 and the carbonate hardness 180. the tetras are the neon ones.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Sep 2007 08:52 #4 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:advised needed
mwdragondk wrote:

I would add some tonic salt.

Why? None of the fish carries a fungus and pH and hardness are within acceptable limits. Commercially bred neons can live in quite hard water even. However, the fish community is not the best selection. Essentially the mollies (I'm assuming black mollies in this case) will benefit from quite high temperatures. I have a couple in my discus tank and that's RO water re-mineralized to a KH of 3. I don't subscribe to the popular belief that they will benefit from a pinch of salt. Nutrition is more important and mollies need a high portion of vegetable matter in their feed. Especially black mollies need a water temperature of above 26 degrees. Neons and Guppies can handle high temps but prefer lower ones.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand. Was the tank cycled properly, what size is the tank? And what dou you mean by recently restocked? Even if the tank was filled with water but had no fish in it for a while, the filter bacteria will die off due to the lack of food.

More
20 Sep 2007 15:22 #5 by Carl (Carl M)
Replied by Carl (Carl M) on topic Re:advised needed
Hi damienp,

A little bit more information would make your question easier to answer.

If you could answer the following I am sure there are plenty of people here to give you a detailed and accurate answer to your problem:-

· What size is your tank?
· What type of filtration does the tank have?
· How long has it been running/set up?
· How often do you do water changes?
· How often do you clean the filter?
· HOW do you clean the filter?
· How many fish did you add when you ‘restocked’ your tank?
· Which breed of fish did you add?
· How many fish do you have in it NOW?
· Do any of the fish seem distressed by the nitrite spike? If so, which ones?

I hope you do not think that is too many questions because it would give a clearer idea of what may be causing your problem.

All the best, Carl

More
20 Sep 2007 22:02 #6 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
i am a firm believer in salt. it has many benfits when used in moderation. it will help guard against white spot do not a cure it will help lower levels of nitrate/nitrite. but is only a stop gap nothing will ever beat good filtration.

Damienp you have a natural test kit for ammonia not as good as those in shops but still a start smell your tank if it takes your breath away its time for an emengercy water change the ammonia is very high if not fatal for your stock. if it smells like a clean country river or lake well still not good but regular small water changes.

next look at your filter is it at maxium flow and is it up to the bio mass of your stock. one can never have to much filtration.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Sep 2007 00:26 #7 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:advised needed
Mickey.
I don`t think Salt lowers nitrates and nitrites.
Salt will protect against nitrite poisoning.
Sodium chloride coats the gills and prevents nitriet entering the blood. Fr Jack will give you a real explanation.
A small bit of sugar in a Marine tank will lower nitrates but not sure about
a fresh water set up.

Anyway, back to the problem.
I would stop feeding for a few days and do 50% w/c and then 10% each day until the nirite is gone.
Add some bacteria to speed up the cycle.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Sep 2007 08:38 #8 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Sugar will do nothing for you in a freshwater tank.

I can give you the explanation why salt in freshwater will limitthe effects of nitrite poisoning.
nitrite blocks the oxygen transport in blood. The ion balance in the body of the fish is stabilized by the ion up take from the water by chloride cells, mainly through the gills. A great part of the ions arr chlorid anions. If there aren't enough chloride ions in the water other ions will be taken up, for example nitrite. And now comes the important bit.Instead of chloride ions, nitrite ions will be exchanges by hydrogen carbonate ions at the gill membranes. Four nitrite ions will block one haemoglobin molecule which are responsible for oxygen transport to the organs.
By adding salt this process will be interrupted.

More
21 Sep 2007 09:38 #9 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
very interesting thanks Apistodiscus and Anthony you learn some thing new every day. when i add salt to non brackish water i always drop temp two deg. it something an old hand told me a few years back at least now i under stand why more oxygen!

I really must study up on my biology and learn to spell.

• damienp (damienp)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Sep 2007 20:44 #10 by damienp (damienp)
Replied by damienp (damienp) on topic Re:advised needed
hi guys sorry for the late reply been away from the comp. ok here goes ill try answer these questions
i had barbs but gave them to a friend so i could get new friendlier fish. they came out the same day the new ones went in
What size is your tank? 120L
· What type of filtration does the tank have? i have a juwel tank so its the filter i the tank
· How long has it been running/set up? been running since june
· How often do you do water changes? once a week(did a mid week one when the levels went up.
· How often do you clean the filter? once a week
· HOW do you clean the filter? a clean half the sponge in the water i just took out of the tank.
· How many fish did you add when you ‘restocked’ your tank? 15(which i was told was fine by the guy(not gavin) in the new wackers shop)
· Which breed of fish did you add? mollys, minnows guppys, tetras
· How many fish do you have in it NOW? 15
· Do any of the fish seem distressed by the nitrite spike? If so, which ones? no they seem to be fine swmming around quite happily.

More
24 Sep 2007 11:30 #11 by Carl (Carl M)
Replied by Carl (Carl M) on topic Re:advised needed
Thanks for the extra info.

If you had 15 barbs (more or less) to begin with the biological filter should have been ok with you swapping them for another batch of fish and continued to work as normal. (Obviously not the answer to your problem).

If the total size of the new fish added was considerably greater than the barbs the filter would have needed some time to readjust to the extra load it had to deal with.

If you removed the barbs more than a few hours before you added the replacement fish the bacteria in the filter will have started to die off and will need some time to recover.

As the fish show no signs of distress it is better to wait and see if things right themselves without ‘adding’ anything to the water. Just keep up daily 30% (ish) water changes, even twice a day if you feel it is necessary. As the old saying goes ‘the solution to pollution is dilution’.

Does any of this make sense or help your problem?

All d best, Carl

• Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Sep 2007 12:17 #12 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Ok, here's my guess.
Any dead fish stuck in or behind the filter? Happened to my sister-in-law.
I wouldn't clean the filter every week either. Once a month is plenty
Holger

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds