Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Going around and around ...

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Valerie (Valerie)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Sep 2007 14:29 #1 by Valerie (Valerie)
Going around and around ... was created by Valerie (Valerie)
Hi all,

Just a small question ...

In one of my tanks, I have two L144 (Black eyed yellow bristlenose). One of them behaves however very strangely. He goees around and around the tank, using the same path, non-stop.
The video illustrates his behaviour s161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/wallry/...current=IMGP0561.flv (apologies for the poor quality ;) )
At night, or when the lights are off, he stays normally, quietly somewhere, resting on the bogwood, just like his brother does. All other inhabitants are well and there are no signs of distress or illness in the tank.
He has been following this pattern for a few weeks now. He's no thinner than his brother. I plan to move him to the other tank in a few weeks and see how he behaves there.

The water parameters are as follows :
- Ammonia = 0,
- Nitrite = 0,
- Nitrate < 5mg/l and
- pH=8.0.
- Tank volume = 180l.

Has anyone experienced this kind of behaviour with fish ? Any idea why he would do this (no telling me I drive him around the bend :laugh: ) ?

Valerie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2007 16:12 #2 by lampeye (lampeye)
no idea val,
his swimming looks completely normal though.

lampeye

More
20 Sep 2007 21:41 #3 by goldy (goldy .)
I can see why you are concerned but he looks fine and he is getting plenty of exercise. Maybe he is just an active bristle nose. Will be curious to see if his behaviour changes when you change him to another tank.

Nessa

More
20 Sep 2007 22:18 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Never came across this before.
Looks like you have a racing pleco.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Sep 2007 22:31 #5 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Going around and around ...
platty252 wrote:

Looks like you have a racing pleco.

Yeah but his steering is off......

My Bristle does nothing at all. Ever.
Laziest fish I've ever seen, even by Pleco standards.

More
20 Sep 2007 22:38 #6 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
The L144s are not shy and quite active during the day, I have no idea why this guy is doing the rounds, none of mine do that at all. They are out and about, but are lazy buggers. I hope that it is nothing to worry about, once he is eating and there are no other signs of problems, hopefully he will tire himself out and settle down to a more tradition BN life.

More
20 Sep 2007 22:49 #7 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
dare i suggest it could be that loaches have the prize hiding places maybe you had them in the tank first and the plec came second. from an experiance of mine i added what i believe to be a golden plec and three clown loaches at the same time and i had a similar race till they found their own places could i suggest adding another small pot that has not been claimed

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Sep 2007 00:31 #8 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:Going around and around ...
I say being an Albino has a lot to do with it.
Being poorly sighted he thinks its night all the time and is
just looking for food.:dry:

More
21 Sep 2007 03:02 #9 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
mwdragondk wrote:

dare i suggest it could be that loaches have the prize hiding places maybe you had them in the tank first and the plec came second. from an experiance of mine i added what i believe to be a golden plec and three clown loaches at the same time and i had a similar race till they found their own places could i suggest adding another small pot that has not been claimed

Good idea, try that and see does he settle down.

Anthony,

I wondered about a reaction to light too, but I doubt it, I have 14 of his brothers and sisters here and they are in a brightly lit tank showing no signs of wanting to run the derby. L144's are not albino, they are amelanistic, have no dark pigment. There eyes are black or blue.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Sep 2007 19:09 #10 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:Going around and around ...
It was just a theory.
I taught they were Albino. I cannot see anything wrong.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds