Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

missing tail!

More
27 Sep 2007 18:33 #1 by koinonia (koinonia)
I went away for a few days only to come home and fing my silver hatchetfish missing its tail.

I assume the rest of the mob got hungry and it was the slowest!

Will it grow back?

Am I better off ending its life?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2007 21:30 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re:missing tail!
I would guess that it's finrot. I would try and isolate him if possible and treat to be on the safe side.

It will most likely grow back. However, if fin rot is left untreated for an extended period, it may not.

Regards,

Ken.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Sep 2007 09:05 #3 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:missing tail!
What species of hatchetfish? Marbled ones are peaceful enough. The silver ones are known as fin nippers. It depends how far the fin is gone. Down into the caudal pendicule and it will not grow back. But I wouldn't euthanize it either. It can live without its tail fin. Finrot is a possibilty but you should see sign of it in other fish as well. Ken's right in saying to isolate it if possible just to let the wound heal. If you have them add a almond tree leaf or two.<br><br>Post edited by: apistodiscus, at: 2007/09/28 17:26

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Sep 2007 10:47 #4 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:missing tail!
My Albino Cory a while back was savaged to the 'meat', the thread is on the board somewhere in Trop Fish Health.
The tail was completely gone and the rear of the fish was a bloody stump, but it grew back and the fish is fine!
Maybe cats are different to free swimming fish?

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Sep 2007 16:30 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:missing tail!
Didihno wrote:

Maybe cats are different to free swimming fish?

Nope, same anatomy behind it. Imagine the fin ray to be like a hair. A hair grows from a follicle, once the follicle is gone the hair won't grow back as some of us will probably have found out the hard way :lol: (I'm still spending a fortune on hair dressers and shampoo) Pretty much the same with a fin ray. The tail might grow back and it might not. Just make sure the wound heals and your fish will be ok.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Sep 2007 21:31 #6 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:missing tail!
There was nothing left of this guys tail, not a thing. I must have been lucky.
Good water and good food helps a lot i feel.
My corys absolutely go nuts for new life community or discus food.
What drops to the sand they scoff in seconds.

More
01 Oct 2007 14:16 #7 by koinonia (koinonia)
its a silver hatchet fish.

It was right down to the stump..I know someone here will have a name for it!

I threw in some melafix and have just left the tank for another week. Someone is feeding them this time:) with strict instructions that if it sinks to the bottom or start floating on the surface to get the net and dump it.:dry:

I suppose I´ll have to wait and see how things are when I get home on Saturday.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Oct 2007 01:29 #8 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:missing tail!
Not being smart but would it not be cheaper to but another Hatchet fish then to buy bottles of (useless) Melafix.
Ketabang leaves are way better and so is tea tree oil.

More
02 Oct 2007 20:07 #9 by koinonia (koinonia)
it would definitely be cheaper but as i had it anyway and someone suggested it and because i was more concerned with getting packed for a week in canaries(which by the way is very hot) i just threw it in and let the fates and my mother take care of the rest :silly:

if its alive by the time i get home on saturday i&amp;#180;ll keep it as it deserves not to be binned having made it that far:woohoo:

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Oct 2007 00:54 #10 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:missing tail!
I hope everything goes well for you.
I wish I was back over there. I have no holidays left so have to wait till next year.
I do have a 7 week roster and have 21 days off out of 49 but I still need a few Annual leave.:blush: :blush: :S

More
13 Oct 2007 15:46 #11 by koinonia (koinonia)
the tail is growing back nicely:)

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds