Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

HELP sick discus

More
09 Oct 2006 10:45 #1 by lampeye (lampeye)
Nightmare!
just back from holidays, and my male discus has cloudy eye and something wrong with his mouth, see pix below, at first i thought it was mouth fungus but it doesnt seem like a growth more like it just turned white....he also seems a lot skinnier than his wife and she has grown much faster than him (obviously not just since i was away), he seems to be eating normally but is much more shy than usuall.

i put some polyfilter in the filter even though all levels are perfect...
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate minimum
ph 6.8
dont check for kh or hardness

1. is that mouth fungus?
2 .is myxazin the correct treatment for cloudy eye/mouth fungus
3. melafix claims to treat both of these ailments (and i have some)...should i do a course of that or wait till tomorrow for myxazin
4. does the lack of growth and skinniness sound like worms?
5. thanks in advance

lampeye

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Oct 2006 13:33 #2 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: HELP sick discus

3. melafix claims to treat both of these ailments (and i have some)...should i do a course of that or wait till tomorrow for myxazin

Melafix is the biggest load of b****x. It does not cure anything that will sort itself out if left alone. It is just Tea tree oil.

1 I don`t like the look of his stomach. Is he eating. If so what colour is his pooh and is it tringy or solid.

2 Was the ph always at this level or have you just recently lowered it.

IMO the fungus is being caused by an external bacteria attacking the mouth and killing the flesh. There mght be a secondary internal bacteria too.
Myaxzin or Interpet no.9 might do the job but you might want to salt bath first.
Answer the first 2 questions as we need more info before offering a course of action.

More
11 Oct 2006 05:51 #3 by lampeye (lampeye)
he seem s to be eating grand...not as agressively as the female
(eating) ..... havent seen him shit yet so ill keep you posted...thanks anthony

lampeye

More
11 Oct 2006 14:06 #4 by lampeye (lampeye)
well he devoured a brimeshrimp dinner and i tried to see his poo but all day i didnt see him or (sh)it ....so i suppose its solid, if it was stringy it would have been hanging on and id have got a glimpse of it.

the mouth def doesnt look like fungus, ie theres nothing growing on it its just lost its colour and gone white...

thanks in advance for your help

lampeye

More
11 Oct 2006 14:07 #5 by lampeye (lampeye)
ph has always been 6.8

lampeye

More
11 Oct 2006 14:09 #6 by lampeye (lampeye)
was in wackers and gav said myxazin is no longer available over the counter (from uk anyway) , has to be got by vet or internet!

lampeye

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Oct 2006 15:17 #7 by Anthony (Anthony)
They have tons in Kinsealy.
I never heard it was banned
Interpet no. 9 is the same. If you can`t get your hands on either then try salt bathing. 6.5 t-spoons of aquarium salt to every 5 litres of tank water. Bath both the discus 3x daily for 10 minutes at a time. If they go sideways replace back in tank straight away.
Do this for 3 days and see if there is any improvement. I would also do daily water changes of 45% if possible.
Try this first before you get the interpet no.9

Keep us posted...

More
17 Oct 2006 10:27 #8 by lampeye (lampeye)
WELL after a week of melafix (or time) his mouth is back to normal now...phew....but his eye is still cloudy, maybe a bit less than before... got some myxazin out in fishfx so i think ill run a course of that...
keep yis posted

thanks anthony

lampeye

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Oct 2006 10:49 #9 by Anthony (Anthony)
Well done mate.

Keep us posted.

More
15 Nov 2006 04:45 #10 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Hi i don`t keep discus, (I use to in the early eighties) this happened to me quite a lot, even with the right treatment and it cleared up (green die) dont rember the trade name the green colour would leave the water after 2 or 3 days. The problem would came back, naturally as the enviroment was not right. I talked to Jack Wateley, at the time, I am sure he is dead now, his advise worked, I drop the pH to 5.8pH and always keep it there, and keep them at 84F, Discus can take this pH although you should never bring in new fish form another tank that has more than 1ph highter as the borr effect will kill them (ph pump that force oxgyen over gill lamana fails.
My advice is go marines, not the butterfly and sea horses, just bread and butter hardy as nails cloanfish and angels over 3.5 inches, beleive me they will give you less trouble, or african chlidids, hardy as nails but you can over stock them and when adult, their colour look great.
P.S in the Dublin area use phosporic acid, and do a dumby run usiny a 20L bucket to get a feel of how much acid to use.
Sean
x bray co wicklow

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2006 11:01 #11 by Anthony (Anthony)
Jack is still alive.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Nov 2006 07:23 #12 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: HELP sick discus
Hi Anthony,
just a matter of curitosity, but how often do you feed your fish? Looks like he's a bit stunted.
The first thing to do if discus do not eat properly is to raise the temp to about 33-35 degrees. That gets their metabolism going. You can alo add epsom salts at 1 tablespoon per 5 gal. They will be sh*tting their brains out and eat anything you put in front of them. If that doesn't work you are in serious trouble.
If their faeces are white you are probably looking a flagellates. Keep the temperature up and more often then not that will do it.
Should that no succeed you will have to use anibiotics. Just hope your GP will give you Augmentum without asking to many questions. Turn off the lights because antibiotics break down faster and are useless if you don't. Increase the supply of air to the tank since less oxygen will be dissolved in warm water and your fish's metabolism is increase and so their use of oxygen is also up.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Feb 2007 08:07 #13 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Re Discus
Jack did you meen Malachite Green (Great Stuff)

More
21 Feb 2007 06:11 #14 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re: Re Discus

Jack did you meen Malachite Green (Great Stuff)

Yes , I gave 1KG of the neat stuff to the ITFS president last week, dangerous stuff in the neat stuff, fantasic at beating fungus, enough to treat olympic size swimming pools of fish if distributed right.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds