Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

ageing tap water

More
04 Nov 2006 19:28 #1 by lampeye (lampeye)
anybody age their tap water? im considering doing this instead of using stress coat.
does it really get rid of chlorine and heavy metals?

lampeye

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• gm333 (gm333)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Nov 2006 00:51 #2 by gm333 (gm333)
Replied by gm333 (gm333) on topic Re: ageing tap water
I have heard it gets rid of chlorine in 24hrs but dont know about chloramines.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Nov 2006 05:40 #3 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: ageing tap water
If you pump water into a drum or bin whatever you use, at a high enough pressure most of the chlorine and chloramine will be released.There will still be some left but this will dissolve in about 2 days.

When you are pumping water into a bin lean over the bin and take a good smell.You can actually smell the chlorine being released.

More
05 Nov 2006 07:55 #4 by lampeye (lampeye)
i plan on leaving a small powerhead in the bin for circulation

lampeye

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Nov 2006 08:55 #5 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: ageing tap water
I think the thing is to let the water settle for a few days rather than circulating it.

More
05 Nov 2006 17:38 #6 by lampeye (lampeye)
i think i read the opposite chris???

lampeye

More
05 Nov 2006 18:33 #7 by lampeye (lampeye)
after a bit of googleing it seems that aging tap water removes chlorine (airstone or pump will speed it up) but it wont remove chloramine....
looks like ill still be buying ammo lock!

www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_chlorine.htm

lampeye

More
06 Nov 2006 02:15 #8 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Is there a new product called Ammo-Lock out.

The "ammo lock" i used to use didn't do anythin about Chlorine/Chloramine but the one i just saw on the net does.

All the old one did was detoxify Ammonia, the only reason why i remember this is cos when i was startiing out with Tropical Fish i treated my water with "Ammo-Lock", it didn't remove the Chlorine and killed my Corys.

Am i right about this or am i loosing my marbles???

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Nov 2006 09:09 #9 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: ageing tap water

anybody age their tap water? im considering doing this instead of using stress coat.
does it really get rid of chlorine and heavy metals?

Its not worth the hassle. let the moths out of your pocket and buy some Safe guard or Aqua plus.
I used Stress coat before and I am not a fan of it. IMO it does not work fast enough and I don`t beieve you can add a protective slime coat to a fish. It must be regenerated.

More
06 Nov 2006 09:18 #10 by Pablo (Pablo -)
In my opinion a waste of time... a few drops of Safeguard or watersafe and the water is ready to go in a few minutes... :wink:

Pablo

More
06 Nov 2006 10:00 #11 by zebadee (zebadee)
I agree, spraying water allows clorine to dissapate however that will happen naturally over time. The heavy metals, cloramine and any natural nitrate levels will remain in the water. The only situation where aging water works is if you have a massive water requirement and your source needs to be trickle-fed to ensure that it is topped up. Unfortunately de-chlorinators are an expense that we will have to put up with for the moment.

More
07 Nov 2006 02:56 #12 by lampeye (lampeye)
yep
thanks everyone .... and anto im not that tight!!!! i hav to age salt water for my new marine tank so i just thought while i m at it!!

lampeye

More
07 Nov 2006 03:00 #13 by lampeye (lampeye)
peter

ammo lock was reccomended by lfs for salt water but im using it on all my tanks now. it detoxifies 3.0ppm of amonia, 7.0ppm of chlorine and 5.0ppm of chloramines.

lampeye

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Nov 2006 07:44 #14 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: ageing tap water

yep
thanks everyone .... and anto im not that tight!!!! i hav to age salt water for my new marine tank so i just thought while i m at it!!

I was only joking mate.

• boroughmal (boroughmal)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Nov 2006 01:07 #15 by boroughmal (boroughmal)
Replied by boroughmal (boroughmal) on topic Removing cloramines
Cloramines( salts) are easily removed with a carbon filter, you could fit one to the powerhead you are using to circulate the water easily enough.
Activated works better but any carbon will do.
Takes a couple of days.
regards

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds