Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

amonia-help

More
26 Nov 2006 13:54 #1 by goldy (goldy .)
amonia-help was created by goldy (goldy .)
have been maturing a small tank (9"x11"x6.5") for about 6 weeks. ph is 7, nitirite is 0 nitrate is about 5 or 10 but amonia is off the scale. I am using interpet test kit and have been getting a reading that is navy blue. the darkest reading for amonia is dark green/blue with a value of 4.0mg/l. I have been doing regular water changes of about 20% but have increased this to about 40% and it is still off the scale.

I thought the test kits might be funny so i have tested my other tank with two kits and the readings are fine. I cant figure out how I could be getting this reading for amonia when the tap water is ok and i am changing the water regurlarly. There are no fish in the tank. Did have an algae bloom for about a week but that has cleared an everything else seems to be fine

any ideas welcomed

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2006 14:41 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I dont know why your amonia is so high after 6 weeks in a small tank.
I would suggest emptying the tank and filling it from your big tank.
Test this after a day or 2.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Nov 2006 15:06 #3 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: amonia-help

have been maturing a small tank (9"x11"x6.5") for about 6 weeks.

Thats one small tank.It sounds like a Beta bowl. Has it got a filther. What are you using to mature it. Are you using chemicals or prawns. If using prawns then no wonder it is off the scale.
I think you are pulling our legs.

Thats about 2 pints of water :lol:

More
27 Nov 2006 04:53 #4 by goldy (goldy .)
Replied by goldy (goldy .) on topic Re: amonia-help
I am not pulling your leg and yes it is a small tank (16 litres to be exact)...have space issues...there is a small fluval sponge filter and a heater in it. Temp is 26. matured it with stress zyme and a little bit of fish food about once a week. i was not in a hurry for it so time wasnt an issue until now thats when the panic set in. Has me baffled though because there are no fish in it,nitrite is 0, ph is fine and so is nitrate..even after all the water changes amonia is still off the scale.

Thanks Platty gave up and changed all the water for water from the big tank washed out the sponge in the big tank water and will test it again tonight. My new arrivals had to run the gauntlet in the big tank but they are fine this morning. Thanks for the help all, will keep you posted

More
27 Nov 2006 09:59 #5 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re: amonia-help
You'll find it pretty difficult to maintain stable water parameters in a tank that small. Generally, the bigger the tank, the easier it is to manage.

I have a hospital tank of similar size. Even though I mature the sponge media in my main tank and use water from my main tank, I always seem to get ammonia/nitrite spikes after a couple of days. Whenever I use the tank, I end up doing daily water changes. However, it's not too much hassle doing daily changes with a tank that small for the short time I use it.

Regards,

Ken.

More
29 Nov 2006 09:13 #6 by goldy (goldy .)
Replied by goldy (goldy .) on topic Re: amonia-help
thanks for that. i was not expecting to have to maintain it so much because it is small. might have to rethink if amonia is going to be such a problem. will test it agian tonight and see how the amonia is ddoing

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds