Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

White spot problem

More
18 Oct 2008 00:03 #1 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
My poor old fish, Just when I appear to be over the worst of the neon tetra disease,I go to the tank tonight and my fish have white spot. I swear Im so angry right now at buying those fish last weekend,they have totally wrecked my tank.
Anyhow we live and learn I guess.
Well the fish are over the neon tetra disease (or at least the ones who didnt contact it), but must of been ran down and stressed over the time (like me!!) and have now contacted white spot disease.

So what I have done is the following.
1. Did a 20% water change (I didnt have time to do more so had to settle for this).
2. Removed Carbon from filter.
3. I added 4 teaspoons of API White spot cure. (Ive a 160 litre tank so I halfed the doseage (as tank is approx 140litre full) as I have corys and shrimp)(scaleless fish as such so hence half the dose).
3. I increased the temperature to 27c. (up from cira 25/26).

Im wary of increasing the temp any higher before finding out if its safe to do so with corys and shrimp as well as my Golden Ram.

Im going to repeat the dosage in 48 hours but have read from a few places that the API White Spot cure treatment isnt the best ? Anyone have some advise on this,also how high should I turn the temperature up to?

All advise welcome! Im still annoyed I bought those fish from there,my poor tank :(

Gavin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2008 01:40 - 18 Oct 2008 01:43 #2 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
Not long got through a case of ich in my main tank and was stuck in doors and couldn’t get out to get anything. Took some advice and simply turned up the temp to 32°C until the last spot fell off the fish and then left the temp at 32° for 4 days. It the heat that kills the ich and stops them. I checked out the best treatment as I have shrimp in the tank also and I did get the “interpet anti white spot” as this is supposed to be the best when you delicate fish etc.
When done make sure you turn the temp back down slowly or you could end up stressing the fish even more.

*edit*
just realised this is in the marine section if a mod can move it to the correct section :)

May your fish be with you:
Last edit: 18 Oct 2008 01:43 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae).

More
18 Oct 2008 08:37 #3 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Sorry didnt realise it was in the marine section.....sorry,hopefully one of the mods can move it to the freshwater section.
Ive the temp at 27c, should I turn it up another notch now yo 28c.
Im just cautious that some fish cant take the heat?

Gavin

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Oct 2008 08:54 #4 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:White spot problem
Post moved to Freshwater Water and Health - Thanks :-)

More
20 Oct 2008 09:57 #5 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Latest update,have raised the temp to 29c. Used API White Spot Cure at half stated dose as I have corys and shrimp.(scaleless).

The fish have responded v well and also since removing the carbon and replacing the filter floss the cloudyness is finally clearing.
The tank looks good again, Ill continue the treatment for another few days and will keep temp up at 28/29 for another week until all signs are gone. (Indeed the signs are gone now but want to ensure the disease is cured fully and kill the cycle of the white spot bacteria.

Gavin

More
25 Oct 2008 08:15 #6 by umm (karen baker)
just wondering how your fish are doing?

More
25 Oct 2008 09:43 #7 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Hi Umm,
The fish are thriving, all white spot has been eliminated. I should of done a 25% water change on Thursday but didnt get around to it yet,however I will do it today as I have some work to do on the plants and the inside of the tank. Im also going to put carbon back into the filter for 2 days to eliminate the remaining meds if present (in future Im going to leave the carbon out of my filter as I find the tank is much clearer since removing it,and it was new carbon so dont know why it effected the tank as its the only thing I can attribute the cloudy water to). The temp is still at about 28 or so and I will keep it at this temp for another few days until the 10 day mark is passed. When this period is up I am only going to knock the temperature back to 27c and will run the tank at this temp going forward. My rams and rummys have looked alot more happy since I increased the temp and they have coloured up better also.
I also fed the fish better food while they were sick. I put away the dry flake food and gave them some frozen brine shrimp,bloodworms,molluscs etc.. The food Id imagine helped them to get better also and indeed I am feeding the fish these type of food source more often as I find it a happy tank when this food is added.
Anyone know what food my sterbai corys can eat. I know the are happy enough at the bottom. I put the odd algae waver in and I know they clean up the bloodworms also.
Im thinking a piece of cucumber perhaps ? (Should it be boiled first?).

Gavin

More
25 Oct 2008 19:55 - 25 Oct 2008 19:58 #8 by umm (karen baker)
Glad they are doing well. I put in cucumber occasionally(organic) and catfish pellets for my corys. I have to put in extra cos the other fish gobble them as they sink but I have found a balance I think as they all seem to be doing great. Bloodworm goes down well also. live food does seem to make a difference imo. Btw I dont boil my cucumber, dont know if I should but they seem happy with it anyway.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2008 19:58 by umm (karen baker).

More
25 Oct 2008 22:47 #9 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Your fish will be fine at 27c. All the fish you list are from warmer waters so i would keep it at 26c min.

No need to boil cucumber. There is verry little nutritional it for the fish in the first place. To boil it would remove the little nutritional content there is. Just use a veggie clip or a lead weight to keep it down.
Don't leave the cucumber in the tank to long. In warmer water it will break down quicker than cooler temperatures. I would only leave it in for a few hours. If the fish haven't eaten it by then, they don't want it.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds