Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

help needed!! 6 fish dead and 2 dying??

• Alex (Alex)
  • Alex (Alex)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Apr 2009 19:48 #1 by Alex (Alex)
help needed!! 6 fish dead and 2 dying?? was created by Alex (Alex)
i recently decided to convert my 70L into a community tank!! at the moment there are 5 kuhli loaches, 2 apple snail, 2 smwordtail, and 6 guppies.. they all came from diff shops.. in the last 3 days 6 fish have died... ...:S 5 guppies and 1 swordtail... my male guppy and my lyretail guppy are dying... :( i decided to get some melafix because i noticed some of the guppies tails were eaten away b4 they died... my water is fine tested it twice...!! my male guppy is just at the top of the tank breathing very fast... and my lyretail has problems swimming keeps on doing sumersalts... maybe a bladder infection? also today my swordtail died... looked in perfect health just found her at the bottom of the tank..

maybe there is some kind of desiese in the tank...!! iv never had sick fish before..!!

also maybe it could be a plant i added last week... seems it could be terrestrial fern... but im not sure..? could it be poisening the water?? its the middle plant attached to bogwood..

at first i thought it was a bad batch of guppies... they all died overnight... then i got 4 more guppies and 2 lyretail guppies from diff shops.. so far they are all fine except 1 lyretail and since my swordtail died i suspect someting else??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2009 20:45 #2 by q547 (Joseph King)
Try a 50% water change tonight, then see how they are in the morning. Did the plants come from a pet shop?

Oh and can the mods move this to the tropical section?

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Apr 2009 21:28 - 21 Apr 2009 21:28 #3 by Alex (Alex)
Replied by Alex (Alex) on topic Re:help needed!! 6 fish dead and 2 dying??
sorry put this in marine section by mistake... yeah the plants came from petshop.. was told it was some sort of fern! yeah ill do water change and treat tank with melafix for the week... hopefully there will be no more deaths:unsure: !!
Last edit: 21 Apr 2009 21:28 by Alex (Alex).

More
21 Apr 2009 21:32 #4 by q547 (Joseph King)
if they all came from different shops my gut feeling is that one of the shops had fish that were carrying some sort of disease. It might be difficult to remove the disease without knowing what it is. If you had a second tank I'd remove the fish and treat them seperatly.

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Apr 2009 06:32 #5 by Alex (Alex)
i have no tank where i can move them... dismorning woke up and found lyretail guppy dead and my pearl gourami dead who i thought was fine... the pearl was there on temp basis... was treating her with melafix cause there was little red patch on fin which was slowly spreading..! my other tank is fine.. so i dont think it was gourami.
yeah prob some desiese came in with guppies.. its certainly fast acting...:unsure: all the fish that are left look healthy hopefully there will be no more deaths.

More
22 Apr 2009 16:31 #6 by convict84 (sean farrell)
i think you put too many fish in at once,whats the filter set up,how long have u had it going,how often do u do a water change,what are the water parameters,how much and how often do u feed them.

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Apr 2009 18:26 #7 by Alex (Alex)
its been running for over a year now... i cant say its a great filter, its just the internal one that come with the tank, does the job..! it was a tank for my channa gachua.. but changed it to community tank... did lots of water changes a tested water b4 i put the guppies in
PH 7.2, gh 8, Nitrite 0, KH 3
i do a 20% water change every week... there was never more then 13-14 fish at the one time.. and they are small..! i feed them twice a day,., only a little pinch.. and feed them frozen foods every second day, bloodworms ect... i have 5 kuhli loaches, 2 swordtails, 6 guppies and 2 apple snails left.. my male guppy has recoverd since i put in the melafix... all the rest look healthy... i dunno why so many died, 8 in 3 days :unsure: but the remaining look healthy..!!:) ill still treat em with melafix and keep a eye on em!!

More
28 May 2009 14:06 #8 by amdaley (Tony Daly)
What happened? Did you have any more problems ?

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 May 2009 07:56 #9 by Alex (Alex)
hey,
AH forgot about this post.. Everything is fine, fish are gettin on great.. well 3 more guppies died shortly after last post.!

I have 1 male and 2 females left (Came from aquatic village:) ).... and around 20-25 fry!!

I never did find out why so many died... I never kept guppies b4 i suppose their just not a hardy species with all the interbreeding,,!!

Thaks for asking
Alex,

More
29 May 2009 08:48 #10 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Alex wrote:

hey,
AH forgot about this post.. Everything is fine, fish are gettin on great.. well 3 more guppies died shortly after last post.!

I have 1 male and 2 females left (Came from aquatic village:) ).... and around 20-25 fry!!

I never did find out why so many died... I never kept guppies b4 i suppose their just not a hardy species with all the interbreeding,,!!

Thaks for asking
Alex,

It can be luck of the draw with guppies sometimes, i had the same problem.

Alan

More
29 May 2009 09:10 #11 by amdaley (Tony Daly)
Glad things are going ok for you now.

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds