Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Stress or Illness ?

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Valerie (Valerie)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Feb 2007 18:48 #1 by Valerie (Valerie)
Stress or Illness ? was created by Valerie (Valerie)
Good evening all,

I have started stocking my 180l after 3 weeks of fishless-cycling. I have purchased 6 guppies today and they are very happy swimming actively but normally around with the 6 danios I added a full week ago. All, except for one guppy.

From the moment, I released them in the tank, he has been staying near the surface, most of the time, in the shade of the re-inforcement which goes across the tank ; his colour is now quite subdued (dark-ish) and some of this scales look very tarnished. He ate a little at dinner time and swims away when his friends come near him. His faeces is quite stringy, approx 1" long, alternating in a very white and fine segment and another segment of normal colour (diameter a bit thin).

I realise that he might not make it until tomorrow ... I am however concerned about the other fish ...

From the day I discovered this discussion forum, I must say that I have read the threads with great interest as they are educational/informative and also entertaining. :lol:
I am impressed at the amount of knowledge that is available ! So, what do you think : Should I start treating asap ? or should I wait to see whether there is another casualty ?
I am a newbie who does not want to panic but doesn't want to lose all either :?

Again, thank you again for your help.
Kindest regards,
Valerie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Feb 2007 18:53 #2 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Stress or Illness ?
This might sound ruthless but take the Guppy out before he dies and any parasite that he might have leaving the body when becomes cold.
Guppys are cheap and meds can be expensive. It will be chesper to buy another Guppy.
Only worry if your other Guppys become sick too. Sounds like Flagelletts but a most Guppys now are so inbred that they find it hard to fight off any disease.
Keep us posted on the other fish.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Feb 2007 19:05 #3 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: Stress or Illness ?
Hi Anthony,

Done ...
Thanks a million for responding so fast. :)
I will definitely keep an eye on the other guppies and will let you know how they are getting on.

Have a nice week-end 8)

Valerie

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Feb 2007 08:14 #4 by Anthony (Anthony)
No worries.
Can you post your water paramters.
ie Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate/Ph.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Feb 2007 11:21 #5 by Valerie (Valerie)
The tank's current parameters :
pH 8.0
Amm 0
Nitrite .5
Nitrate 10

I did a 30% water change yesterday afternoon.
Is this ok ? (Nitrite might be a little high ?!)

Valerie

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Feb 2007 15:43 #6 by Anthony (Anthony)
That nitrite can be removed very quickly if you add some Safe Water. Its made by King British and is excellent stuff.
You ph is really high too.
Mollys might be a better choice than Guppys. I found Danios and Gouramis to be fairly hardy too.
Long time since I kept community fish so must look up hard water loving communty fish for you.

More
17 Feb 2007 16:07 #7 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I wouldn't call Drarf Gouramies (Colisa Lalia) hardy at the moment given this virus form Singapore. They're best avoided at the moment. They gave me a lot of heartache last year.

Regards,

Ken.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Feb 2007 17:18 #8 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: Stress or Illness ?

I found Danios and Gouramis to be fairly hardy too.
Long time since I kept community fish so must look up hard water loving communty fish for you.

Danios and Gouramis are thriving in my tank ph of 7.8-8.0.
My water is also quite hard at around 15kh (or gh?).

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2007 05:38 #9 by Anthony (Anthony)

I wouldn't call Drarf Gouramies (Colisa Lalia) hardy at the moment given this virus form Singapore. They're best avoided at the moment. They gave me a lot of heartache last year.

Gouramis in gereral are very hardy fish and the ph does not really effect them because of the Labrynth organ.
Pearls/Moonbeams and Golden are still ok I think.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Feb 2007 15:17 #10 by Valerie (Valerie)
Hi,

Just to let you know that, once I removed yet another guppy who developped a white ring around its tail that was growing bigger by the hour, all my other fish now seem to be happy swimming around at all levels of the tank... May it last ! :lol:

It looks like I have been unlucky in my last purchase. Though I must say I am concerned about the shop where I purchased my guppies as there always are dead bodies in the tanks. The shop-owner tells me there is always some amount of loss upon delivery though it looked to me the bodies were somewhat older than that ... :shock:

This leads me to ask : Is there a reliable LFS in Galway/Clare/Mayo/Roscommon/Westmeath/Sligo/Fermanagh ? I don't mind paying/driving a little more for the fish if I know it is a serious outlet. However, it looks like my excuse for hitting Dublin on a shopping spree (fish amongst others :lol: )

Another question : Is there any way I can bring down the pH in my tank? I have some mopani wood and terracotta pots in addition to 4 newly added real plants. Do any of those affect the pH upwards ?

Thank you again for your help. Much appreciated.

Valerie

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Feb 2007 16:00 #11 by Anthony (Anthony)
You can add peat to your filher. Best to by the aqaurium peat. Bog wood can drop it slightly but it depends on your kh.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Feb 2007 16:08 #12 by Valerie (Valerie)
My tank is 180L.
How much peat do you reckon I should add to the filter ? How long does it take until it the pH settles once the peat is added ? Is it better to remove the fish from the tank for a while until it settles (avoid burning them) ?
I'll see to get a test kit for kH tomorrow.
Thanks and regards,
Valerie

More
20 Feb 2007 03:00 #13 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Hi Valerie

The only decent shop nearest you that I know of is in Edenderry.
Bit of a trip but always have lovely clean healthy looking fish.

Processor.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Feb 2007 03:22 #14 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Stress or Illness ?
Hi Valerie,
peat is a bit of trial and error. Depends on what kind of peat you use, how hard your water is etc.
There is an easier way to soften your water and get the ph down. It's still
trial and error but much easier to observe its effect and adjust the dosage. It's not as messy either.

You can buy Tetra blackwater extract. Does the job but costs a fortune.
An easier way is to collect the little cones of alder trees and pour boiling water over them. About three handfuls of alder cones and 5 litres of boiling water will give you a very concentrated, black liquid. Just take a cup an pour into your tank. Measure every couple of cups and see what your water parametres are. Your water will turn brown but that will happen when you filter over peat as well.

Holger

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Feb 2007 04:15 #15 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Stress or Illness ?
By the way,
your Guppys probably came from Singapore or some other Sout East Asian country. They tend to be of poor quality and very susceptible to disease. Try to get European stock. A ph of 8 shouldn't be a problem for Guppys. In nature they sometimes live in brackish water

Holger

More
21 Feb 2007 05:34 #16 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

By the way,
your Guppys probably came from Singapore or some other Sout East Asian country. They tend to be of poor quality and very susceptible to disease. Try to get European stock. A ph of 8 shouldn't be a problem for Guppys. In nature they sometimes live in brackish water

Holger

Yes you are right they have been spotted in brackishwater and could take the pH, its possible poor quality stock from a bad shop and over feeding/hidden dead fish, I would stop feeding get some filter wool from a existing tank that full of the right bio bacteria, and tread for white spot (even though they dont have whit spot as the green stuff (malachite green can treat a whole range of bugs. that may have come in from the crappy LFS.
I would find out which car belongs to the LFS owner and run a key down the wing to :twisted:

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds