Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Ph increase

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Anthony (Anthony)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Feb 2007 15:47 #1 by Anthony (Anthony)
Ph increase was created by Anthony (Anthony)
Has anyone checked the ph in their tap water lately. The local petshop to me says theirs has gone through the roof. hardly ever check mine and I buffed it a little last night and had it tested today. It was 9.0
I think they had changed resevoirs on the northside. My tap water is usually 7.2.
Iam waiting on my tap water to dechlorinate to get a reading and I will post it soon. :wink:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2007 15:52 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re: Ph increase
I'll check mine. Just checked the tank and it was 7.6 (has been 7.4 for the last few weeks sinced I added the bogwood).

Regards,

Ken.

More
17 Feb 2007 15:54 #3 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)

I am waiting on my tap water to dechlorinate to get a reading

I'm just adding dechlorinator and the water goes inot the tank within about 20 mins. Should I be waiting longer .... what's the norm ?

Can't believe I'm asking this after a year but then I'm still learning.

Processor.

More
17 Feb 2007 16:00 #4 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Right, there's definitely something up. As you've seen from previous posts, mine was 7.8 out of the tap and rose to 8.0 if left sitting for a few days.

I added bogwood to my tank a few weeks ago and brought it down to 7.4. I haven't tested my tap water in about 2 weeks, but it was stable.

However, checked it tonight and it's 7.0! Looks as though you got my water Anto and I got yours.

Regards,

Ken.

More
17 Feb 2007 16:05 #5 by KenS (Ken Simpson)

I am waiting on my tap water to dechlorinate to get a reading

I'm just adding dechlorinator and the water goes inot the tank within about 20 mins. Should I be waiting longer .... what's the norm ?

Dechlorinator works pretty much instantly. I usually give mine a couple of minutes to be sure. However, make sure you check the instructions on yours as it may be different. I use Stresscoat.

Dechlorinator shouldn't impact your pH.

Regards,

Ken.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2007 05:33 #6 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Ph increase

Right, there's definitely something up. As you've seen from previous posts, mine was 7.8 out of the tap and rose to 8.0 if left sitting for a few days.

I added bogwood to my tank a few weeks ago and brought it down to 7.4. I haven't tested my tap water in about 2 weeks, but it was stable.

However, checked it tonight and it's 7.0! Looks as though you got my water Anto and I got yours.

I will gladly swap water supplies with you. :lol:
De-chlorinator does not effect the ph and most work almost instantanious.
Chlorine can discuise the proper reading and I just want to make sure so I can get a proper reading.

Don`t like stresscoat and adding slime to fish does not work, it has to be regenerated.
I use Aqua plus or Safe water.

More
18 Feb 2007 06:02 #7 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Thanks lads I know it's a pH thread but was just concerned with 'waiting' .....thought I was winging it again with dechlorination.

Processor

More
18 Feb 2007 18:51 #8 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I tested the water I left sitting for 24hrs and it was up to 7.4. Tested the tap water again and it was still 7.0.

Strange. I hope it doesn't fluctuate too much in the future.

Regards,

Ken.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Feb 2007 05:02 #9 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Ph increase
7.4 is the real result. Not sure how Chlorine disquises the results, all I know is that you cannot get a proper reading straight from the tap.

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds