Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Dead corys

More
26 Feb 2007 18:06 #1 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I bought 3 corydoras c121 yesterday.This afternoon 1 died,followed by another this evening.Water is fine,no probs there.Tankmates are about a dozen corys and a mogunda goby.The goby is about 4in but has showen absolutely no signs of aggression that i have noticed.
This is a photo of the 2nd cory to die,the 1st had no visible signs on him,this 2nd 1 has a large red area,could be haemorrhage?,internal bleeding?
Any 1 with any ideas?
Thanks,Dave.

Sorry,havn't worked out photo resizing yet!

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2007 18:32 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Sorry I don't know the cause but I have seen the same thing twice before, both within a day of buying the fish. Once with a cory and once with a clown loach. As I have never seen it in a fish I have had for more than a few days I assume it is the result of something that has happened in transport or handling????

I would contact the shop, I assume they were not cheap. BTW where did you get them? Always interested in unusual corys, though I think I might give this batch a miss.

Daragh

More
27 Feb 2007 05:45 #3 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re: Dead corys
I'd agree with Daragh, it's possibly due to stress of transport. Cory's can be delicate at times and don't like being moved around too much and prefer mature tanks (greater than six months old).

If you have the facility, it would be prudent to quarintine the remaining fish just in case it is a disease.

Regards,

Ken.

More
27 Feb 2007 06:48 #4 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re: Dead corys
I can t be sure what it is as I don t know the species well enough, when healthy are they always so red down the body stem from mid reg in to tail base, if they are brown then the red is bacterial.
If you open up the inside straight away (less than 2 hours) and it has a sweat smell (not rotten smell) then it was bacterial that got it.
In the wholesalers they keep them in large plastic trays without any air stone or filters and every 2 to 3 days tip the tray up at an 80 degree angle leaving the fish and 10% water then vat water is added, as they release toxins that no bio filter can take out, once they fish settle down they stop adding the toxins and can be mixed in community tanks.
If there is no sign of agreesion (fin damage ) and no tiny spots on the tails its probally internal bacterial disease.
Its a pity you did not open it up and post the photo shortly after death, if there was any hemmoraging inside this would of also confirm bacterial, so I can be really sure, unless the red stem is not norammly that red?

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Feb 2007 08:14 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Dead corys
Bacterial, my guess too. Possibly epitheliocystis. Open the fish and take out a gill rake and have a look for minute white spots about 40-200 µ in size. Best done with a microscope. It's caused by a bacteria similar to clamydia and chloramphenicol or enrofloxacin are recommended for treatment. Don't know how to get them in this country. Might want to check Templebar after a Saturday night and find a slapper of your choice.. :D

Holger

More
27 Feb 2007 08:41 #6 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Bacterial, my guess too. Possibly epitheliocystis. Open the fish and take out a gill rake and have a look for minute white spots about 40-200 µ in size. Best done with a microscope. It's caused by a bacteria similar to clamydia and chloramphenicol or enrofloxacin are recommended for treatment. Don't know how to get them in this country. Might want to check Templebar after a Saturday night and find a slapper of your choice.. :D

Holger

Since when can you SEE bacteria under a regular microscope?
I left 10X12x2antibitios (240) at the ITFS last month just ask the president for some as well as neat form malachite green, and neat form methylene blue.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Feb 2007 09:16 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Dead corys
Sean,
I'm not talking about a single bacteria, rather a cluster (white cysts). With epitheliocystis you can sometimes spot the cysts with your naked eye.
By the way you can see bacteria with a decent microscope anyway.

A Jesuit by the name of Athansius Kirchner found bacterium that was the cause of the bubonic plaque in Naples in 1665 with a rather primitive microscope.
Robert Koch discovered the cholera bacterium with a microscope in 1884.

To exactly tell which bacterium is which you are dealing with you will have to run several test, like the gram dying process etc...

You can't see viruses in a normal microscope.

More
27 Feb 2007 14:13 #8 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Sean,
I'm not talking about a single bacteria, rather a cluster (white cysts). With epitheliocystis you can sometimes spot the cysts with your naked eye.
By the way you can see bacteria with a decent microscope anyway.

A Jesuit by the name of Athansius Kirchner found bacterium that was the cause of the bubonic plaque in Naples in 1665 with a rather primitive microscope.
Robert Koch discovered the cholera bacterium with a microscope in 1884.

To exactly tell which bacterium is which you are dealing with you will have to run several test, like the gram dying process etc...

You can't see viruses in a normal microscope.

I am talking the kind of microscope a hobbyist can get there hands on, I once did antibiotic sensitivity test for trout farms when they wanted a sensitive test, I never go training how to SEE the bacteria, it more important knowing which antibiotic will work best than seeing the shape and form of the bacteria, any way we are getting too technical, for the hobbyist its best we base bacterial diease on hemoraging, red lesions especially around the lips and adomoden, and the tail stem and veins of the tails. Any one then can diagnose for bacterial disease, know need to get the scope out, most on the forum would not have one any way, but now they have access to antibiotics via the ITFS president.

More
09 Mar 2007 18:16 #9 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Replied by Acara (Dave Walters) on topic Re: Dead corys
Appreciate the comments.Went back and got another 3 of the same on sunday.As usual,looked after well by shop.This time came straight home(a 3rd of time in transit as 1st lot)and slowly added water to bag over a longer time period.5 days later the 3 are doing very well.
Guess I can put it down to stress,for which only I can take the blame.

More
09 Mar 2007 18:20 #10 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I went out yesterday, they looked great so I got some, I kept seeing nicer ones and ended up with 7 and 4 of the Melini. Still doing well today, don't expect any problems.

Daragh

More
09 Mar 2007 18:24 #11 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I wanted the melinis too,not enough room for them at the moment,story of my fishkeeping!Thats the way it goes though,never enough tanks.

More
09 Mar 2007 18:52 #12 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Tell me about it! I am up to 11 tanks now, mostly for the corys. I am still not 100% sure of the ID on either of these fish, I think some if not all of the c121 look like Burgessi or Duplicarus and the Melini look like Davidsandsi. That's the worst of cory's, IDing them. Great looking fish anyway so I guess it doesn't matter. When I get a chance I will post a photo of each on Corydorasworld and see what they think.

Daragh

More
09 Mar 2007 21:57 #13 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi guys
Glad there all going well, keep me posted on ID
cheers
Drew

More
10 Mar 2007 13:38 #14 by Acara (Dave Walters)
by memory,they said on corydoras world that "the scute behind the operculum is unique amongst corydoradinae",but then goes on to say that the trait may just be a feature within certain populations of c burgessi and not an indication of a seperate species.
not sure if i can quote that due to copyrights,etc,so the above is credited to Ian Fuller of corydorasworld.com.
like you said,iding them is sometimes a problem,new species and sub species appearing frequently.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds