Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

cloudy water

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2007 11:37 #31 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: cloudy water

rotting barley hay or just 5 strands of hay stringed together (aquarium)and left to rot will stop that or in full sunlight in a pond a sack filled with a few hand full of hay left to rot will stop the green stuff.

Another way is to use 1-2 year old willow branches, cut about 40 inches off the branch and place it in the aquarium, the branches just need to be about 1/2 inch thick, within about 3-5 days the branch will start to grow lots of aeriel roots under water, as the branch grows more roots the water will clear up, it takes about 8 days to be totally clear, with this method the green water never comes back, this method is safe for fish as well, its been tried on fry tanks with no ill effects on the fish. You remove the branch after the treatment.

The theory is that the willow can consume nutrients quicker than the aquatic plants and we know algae is also a plant so it outcompetes these for the nutrients.

Excellent tip.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2007 12:38 #32 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re: cloudy water

rotting barley hay or just 5 strands of hay stringed together (aquarium)and left to rot will stop that or in full sunlight in a pond a sack filled with a few hand full of hay left to rot will stop the green stuff.

Another way is to use 1-2 year old willow branches, cut about 40 inches off the branch and place it in the aquarium, the branches just need to be about 1/2 inch thick, within about 3-5 days the branch will start to grow lots of aeriel roots under water, as the branch grows more roots the water will clear up, it takes about 8 days to be totally clear, with this method the green water never comes back, this method is safe for fish as well, its been tried on fry tanks with no ill effects on the fish. You remove the branch after the treatment.

The theory is that the willow can consume nutrients quicker than the aquatic plants and we know algae is also a plant so it outcompetes these for the nutrients.

Yes but ther is a time delay for the roots etc, the rotting hay works on the principle that the chemicals produces as it rots stop the algae, if you have some grass in a compost heap its instant, again max 5 leaves for a small aquarium. Half a sack for a pond, plus its a little bit more practical than adding a triffid to your tank.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
09 Mar 2007 16:11 #33 by zig (zig)
Replied by zig (zig) on topic Re: cloudy water
Thanks Anthony.....don't think I made that clear though, the branch needs to be taken from a living tree not something you have lying around for a year or two although finding a Willow tree is not that hard, I could probably find one around here if I needed too, local park, river bank etc.

Fr Jack do you mean any rotting type grass will do, or do you specifically need to use hay?

More
12 Mar 2007 14:03 #34 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
remember this

well look at it now.

1 week blackout, and stopped everything going into the tank c02 etc.
added 12 plants on friday and by sat eve started to clear, also did 2 1/3 water changes during the week.
tank is messy as i havnt placed the plants in yet.

happy days :D

May your fish be with you:

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Mar 2007 14:05 #35 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: cloudy water
Looks fantastic!Im really thinking of starting a small planted tank!!

More
12 Mar 2007 15:28 #36 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
will look even better when i get it sorted and replanted :D
most will say a small tank is harder to look after than a large, although i had a few probs at the start the 60 is flying along now.

May your fish be with you:

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds