Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

is this algae

• john gannon (john gannon)
  • john gannon (john gannon)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Mar 2007 15:07 #1 by john gannon (john gannon)
is this algae was created by john gannon (john gannon)
Hi everybody
on sunday i noticed, there like sheets of white micro organisms stuck to the glass .i scrapped them off prior to doing a water change i noticed this evening its forming again .Has anybodyany idea what this is and how to get rid,or is this some sort of algae . i have an algae eater in the tank but he doesnt seem interested in it.
thanks
john

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2007 15:32 #2 by steven (steven)
Replied by steven (steven) on topic Re: is this algae
not sure but sounds like those little white worms can;t remember there name but as far as i can remember they are harmless although no pretty looking i could be wrong.......have it planaria worms is there name i think its when there is 2 much uneaten food in the tank one of the other lads might have more info or try google it.

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

More
21 Mar 2007 15:42 #3 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
hi correct steven planaria are a sign of overfeeding, common with oscars n large fish. However you sholud be able to see them move-be it slowly. John, can you post a pic or come up to the shop with some?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Mar 2007 15:55 #4 by john gannon (john gannon)
Replied by john gannon (john gannon) on topic Re: is this algae
drew illbring some up tomorow evening or the weeknd if thats ok .is overfeeding the only cause of this because the food generally doesnt last more than 3 min and then i thought the plec and catfish looked after the rest
thanks
john

More
21 Mar 2007 16:01 #5 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
if it is planaria they feed on access food/waste, but i will have to see it to make a positive id

• Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Mar 2007 18:02 #6 by john gannon (john gannon)
drew
couldnt get up over weekend very busy with football and alcohol .i joined photobucket but am not to sure what to do next about posting pics .any way if this as you think how would people normally get rid
thanks
john

• Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Mar 2007 18:16 #7 by john gannon (john gannon)
sorry drew i think ive figured out this picture thing
[img] http;//i148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/johnganon/showletter.jpg[/img]thanks
john[/url]

• Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Apr 2007 17:03 #8 by john gannon (john gannon)
hi all
got my planaria back can only assume its my own fault i must be overfeeding just cant seem to get the balance right .i hope i get better with time, the food never lasts more than 2 mins i do 15-20% waterchange with gravel clean weekly and test water .anyway i have read that an apple snail will eat the planaria ,just wondering if any body has any experience of this or any suggestions.im also treating tank with protozin and hve raised temp to 30.think i might hve whitespot.
thanks in advance
john

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Apr 2007 01:25 #9 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: is this algae
Hi John,
I never heard about applesnails eating planaria. I don't mean to say they don't, I've just never heard it. Do you recall which species of applesnail?

One fish that eats planaria is Macropodus opercularis the paradise fish.

But since you think you also have whitespot I would try to shift this first. The planaria won't do any harm to fish or plants. Use a medication that is not based on copper sulphate as this will kill your filter bacteria. eSHa exit being my suggestion. IMO Interpet and King British medications are crap and a waste of money. Tetra also do a good whitespot treatment but that's rather more expensive.

Can you please post the size of your tank, species and numbers of fish, water parameters. Since you have whitespot and planaria you have an underlying problem somewhere that needs to be sorted asap.

Holger

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Apr 2007 14:28 #10 by john gannon (john gannon)
hi holger thanks for ur interest and time onthis matter here is a list of all
rio 300
jumbo internal tetra 700 external
ph 7 ammonia o nitrite 0 couldnt find col. card for nitrate did lots of moving gear on sunday misplaced it
fish
1 pair of gold severums 7" 5" [waiting for own tank to cycle]
3 w/c rotkiel sevs. 4.5" 4.5" 3"
2 hero sevs. 2"
2 blue acara 3" 2"
3 tinfoil barbs 4" 4" 3.5"
1 pair sailfin mollies
2 mollies
4 black skirt tetras
5 pristellas
3 platties
2 dwarf guaramies
2 upside down cats 1.5"
1 sultan pleco 4.5"
1 golden algae eater
1 hybrid [mistake waiting to go back to shop]
FOOD
tetra doromin in morn
frozen food in eve ie. krill etc.

Regarding were i read about the snails when i googlled planaria it was there under the trouble with planaria by majid ali .sorry i dont know how to just bring thisover on a link
thanks again
john

• Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2007 01:15 #11 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Hi John,
you are overstocked and that by quite a bit. Simple rule of thumb is 1cm of fish per litre of water. I think you will also run into aggression issues with the cichlids you have once they are pairing off. Especially the blue acaras can become very terretorial.
I don't want to sound like a pain in the backside but your choice of fish don't really mix when it comes to water requirements either. Your mollies and platties require fairly hard water with a pinch of salt added. Sailfin mollies are great for a brackish water tank, whereas most of the other fish are softwater species. Especially your Rotkeil severums (by the way if you succeed in breeding them drop me a pm). You should really consider either getting rid of the mollies and putting them into a tank of their own. If what you refer to as mollies are black mollies, I would starve the fish for a couple of days and the black mollies should start eating the planaria.
Haven't had the time to follow up un the applesnail eating planaria issue but might get around to it at some stage during the day.
Holger

• Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2007 01:44 #12 by john gannon (john gannon)
hi holger
i did think i was a bit overstocked but couldnt resist the rotkiels
if i move the large gold sevs,hybrid ,platies and mollies do u think this would be enough this would be nearly 20" of fish
thanks for all your help
john

• Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2007 03:41 #13 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
The Rotkeils are hard to resist :D

What you have there on your stocklist requires three tanks to be honest.

Tank 1
all the livebearers plus the acaras. Acaras can handle hard water but don't add salt

Tank 2

All your severums, tetras and the pleco. You could also add the densoni barbs. But you will need a tank of about 600l.

Tank 3
all the rest.

Holger

• Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2007 06:25 #14 by john gannon (john gannon)
hi holger
i have 3tanks 300l 120l and 96laltough this is still probably enough :D
iwas going to put the gold sevs. on there own to see them breed for the experience i can put all the livebearers in the 96 but this is too small for the acaras who are still smallish if and when they grow and start to get teritorial i could possible swap them with the gold sevs. or set up another tank[hopefully the wife will allow one more as i have already negogiated a750l marine setupwith herself] as for the tinfoil barbs if i was pushed i would reluctantly get rid.
thanks forall ur help
john

• Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2007 06:37 #15 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
750l sounds just about right for your cichlids....
Marine aquariums just eat electricity especially if you have anemonies in it. Hope your wife doesn't mind a sudden surge in the ESB bill.
Mine always blames the aquariums for our bill.
Never mind that the washing mashine and the kettle are on the go 24/7, the halogen lights in the playroom need more electricty than my 600l tank and the list goes on...

Why don't you breed the Rotkeils rather than the golden severums? The yound are much easier to shift/sell. At least you would get some decent money for the offspring. If you are buying that marine system you will need an RO system anyway so you might as well use it to get the water right for the Rotkeils.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2007 10:33 #16 by john gannon (john gannon)
none of the rotkiels have paired off but hopefully will and then i would definitly try to breed them,the gold ones are a breeding pair and i just want to try it for the experience as ive never donethis before,as with the marine set up i think the only reason im getting it is so the kids will get there nemos,but once i have the tank inthe house who knows what will go into it :D :D :D
as for the bills sure they just get handed to me anyway :cry: :cry: :cry:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Apr 2007 05:07 #17 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Get the 750l tank and put your cichlids into it. Nemo can go into one of the smaller tanks

• Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Apr 2007 15:39 #18 by john gannon (john gannon)
hi holger
ou could have hit the nail on the head
unfortunatly the 750 is going to have to wait for a couple of mounths unless aquatic village start doing finance :lol: :lol:
john

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds