Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Galway water?

• Penguin (Penguin)
  • Penguin (Penguin)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Mar 2007 16:38 #1 by Penguin (Penguin)
Galway water? was created by Penguin (Penguin)
The recent news items about the problems with the tapwater in Galway made me think: do we have any Galway fishkeepers on here? What would you do about aquaria when there is such an issue? If you have a 100+ litre tank, it would be rather costly to do water changes with mineral water, and boiled water is no good....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2007 16:51 #2 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Just a thought,havn't heard of it being done,but what would lakewater down there be like?Very peaty from out Connemarra way,so presume it would be quite soft?
Failing that,rainwater I guess.I dont know if bottled water would be suitable,seems to be high in mineral content,I boiled some in kettle once and the surface was covered in white powder.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
28 Mar 2007 17:08 #3 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
If I was living in Galway, I'd use boiled water. It's not feasible to do 10/20% water changes weekly so I'd add a few litres every day. Obviously the water would be cooled to the temperature of the tank.

I' not sure if this particular bacteria affects fish, but wouldn't take a chance.

Regards,

Ken.

More
28 Mar 2007 18:01 #4 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: Galway water?
We have better qualified people on here than me to comment on this but I think this bacteria must be harmful to fish as it is caused from both human and animal "waste". The water concerned is from Lough Corrib and that lake is like an inland sea - thousands of acres of it...this stuff must have been left unchecked for a very long time to have reached harmful percentages!

Illegal slurry pumping (and I've personally witnessed this into the Shannon too) and human sewerage are contaminating the water there, that much was intimated on the TV News tonight (well, actually they said the contamination was as a result of animal and human waste to be totally correct). If the cruisers on Corrib are anything like some of those around Portumna then the tanks from the toilets have been bypassed and raw sewerage goes straight into the river! It's absolutely scandalous, perhaps now something might be done about it...but then perhaps it won't!!!

John
ps I think that that contamination - Crypto-Spyridius (I might have spelled that incorrectly - sorry) must be harmful to fish - sewerage accounts for a large amount of fish kills both here and in England each year...I wouldn't use the water to top up my tanks!

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Mar 2007 21:29 #5 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: Galway water?
According to the HSE, the cryptosporidiosis parasite can be found in humans, many animals, including fish... I am not sure whether it effects the fish's health though.

www.ndsc.ie/hpsc/A-Z/Gastroenteric/Cryptosporidiosis/Factsheet/

I am based in Galway, but, thankfully, not in the 'polluted' zone. So my fish should be safe (I hope :) ).

I heard the Minister saying on the radio this evening that, in 2002, 21.5 million Euro had been put aside in order to modernise the public waterscheme in Terryland Galway (including filtration) but the County Council must have had its reasons for not actioning and going to tender during the last ... 5 years !!!!! :evil: :evil:

This is really scary ! :shock:
Valerie

More
29 Mar 2007 01:58 #6 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)

This is really scary ! :shock:
Valerie

Scary and pathetic in this day and age and of course no heads will roll because it will be no-ones fault.

Processor.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Mar 2007 02:07 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Galway water?
Crytptosporidium occurs in fish. Susceptibility is species specific. However, the effects on fish are less drastic than those on humans since fish will not dehydrate. A study has been done in Spain on sea bass and sea bream. here is the link www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=544248

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Mar 2007 14:36 #8 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Galway water?
It is lethal and uncurable to Reptiles. Also known as Black belly.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds