Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Garlic for freshwater aquarium ?

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Valerie (Valerie)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Mar 2007 17:21 #1 by Valerie (Valerie)
Garlic for freshwater aquarium ? was created by Valerie (Valerie)
Hi all,

I read somewhere that garlic can be used to treat issues such as white spot.

Do people on this forum use it (in addition to bringing the temp to 30 deg and adding an air stone) ? Do you use fresh garlic ? how do you prepare/dispense it and how much ?

Valerie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2007 04:09 #2 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
i bought the kent stuff.. crazy expensive.
would love to hear how it's made.

but yes.. it's great. soak food in a mix of tank water and 3 drops
of garlic and they go mad for it.

Supposed to be a good supplement to get fussy fish
eating again.. if for some reason they stopped.. and
it boosts their immune system..

Dunno what you are asking about the
(in addition to bringing the temp to 30 deg and adding an air stone)?

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Valerie (Valerie)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2007 04:48 #3 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: Garlic for freshwater aquarium ?
Sorry - quite unclear in previous post indeed ... (it was getting late :wink: ) ...

I meant : are people using garlic (extract) against white spot (in addition to upping the temp).

Thanks. :D
Valerie

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2007 05:10 #4 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Garlic for freshwater aquarium ?
Hi Valerie,

I have never heard of anybody using garlic extract against whitespot. I have also no idea how that would work.
garlic's great for the prevention of intestinal parasites and getting fussy fish to feed.

Holger

More
31 Mar 2007 02:28 #5 by Gavin (Gavin)
new life fish foods all contain high doses of garlic as a standard ingredient.After about six weeks of feeding the garlic builds up in the mucus membrane on the outside of the fish(kinda like bad breath you are what you eat).when the ich parasite tries to attach itself it finds the garlic unpleasant,drops off and cannot carry out it's life cycle and promptly dies.no good at treating if you all ready have the ich parasite but a great way of prevention.

my two cents by kent brockman.

dont make me come over there.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Mar 2007 15:42 #6 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Garlic for freshwater aquarium ?
I always added it to my Beefheart mix.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Apr 2007 01:10 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Garlic for freshwater aquarium ?
I'm not even going to go there...

Most discus keepers add garlic to their food mixes. Fish seem to be more eager to feed. And as I mentioned before it helps to prevent parasites in th digestive tract.
Whitespot's not really an issue in a discus tank since temps are between 28-32 degrees and whitespot can't handle these temperatures

Holger

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 May 2007 15:01 #8 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Garlic
Lets put this garlic issue to bed.
Garlic acts like a stimulant: like blood to a shark so to say.
It encourages them to eat and a well fed healthy fish can fight the white spot better, it does have some imune properties but not enough to counteract whate spot.
Frsh squeezed garlic is best added to food and frozen within 30 min as the active ingredientt you want is the alacin in the garlic and this will become inaffective within 30 mins unless used or frozed

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds