Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

× Aquarium (and Pond) Safety.

Electrics

More
01 Aug 2016 14:44 #1 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Electrics was created by Bill (Bill Hunter)
I wasn't to sure about where to put this.

Please correct me where I'm wrong; when plugging into a double socket, is it a total of 13 Amps per socket or for both sockets? I'm assuming 13 amps per socket, giving 26 amps per double, is that correct?

How does one convert wattage to amps? I vaguely recall something from a long time ago that you do something like add up the total wattage, i.e. heaters, lights etc. and divide by the power (240v). 2 x 100 watt heaters, filter @ 7 watts, lights 5 watts; total = 212 watts/-240 = 0.9 amps. Is this correct or am I away off the mark by miles?

I'm also wondering if a "Safety" section should be put into the forum seeing as we are working with electricity and water. A place for this sort of question to be asked, maybe with a sticky outlining basics in electricity/water. It would only need a numb-skull like me to do something wrong and blow up the house :crazy:
Bill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2016 17:36 #2 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
From what i remember from the physics at school to get the amps, in a single phase circuit, you divide the wattage by the voltage.

More
01 Aug 2016 18:14 #3 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Replied by Bill (Bill Hunter) on topic Electrics
Thanks, Anthony, my memory isn't as bad as I thought then :)
Bill

More
01 Aug 2016 18:17 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic Electrics
Most fishkeeping equipment draws small current even heaters 300watt max . The max on each socket is 13 amps , for pure safety replace the fuses in all your plugs with 5 amp . Just increases the safety factor . Most houses now have rcb fuseboards again this makes things much safer

More
01 Aug 2016 18:56 #5 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
cheers, Robert. Much appreciated.
Bill

More
01 Aug 2016 22:57 #6 by nomad (pat murphy)
Replied by nomad (pat murphy) on topic Electrics
Just googled using an extention lead plugged into a single socket and the first site I came to gave a calculater that gave some clarity that with 13 amps you can run up to a combined 3000 watts for your plug in products .sorry site was www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-...overloading-sockets/

More
02 Aug 2016 07:03 #7 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Im an Electrician myself and will gladly answer any electrical questions.....I just wont be able to reply instantly as im quite busy lately...

An Electrical Safety Section is an excellent idea!

More
02 Aug 2016 07:32 #8 by robert (robert carter)
Well thats all our electrical problems solved knowing that we have a qualified electrician on board

More
02 Aug 2016 09:44 #9 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Thanks, everyone for the helpful replies.
Bill

More
02 Aug 2016 11:02 #10 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Electrics
This topic has now been moved - lock, stock and barrel - to the new Section.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
02 Aug 2016 11:32 #11 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Nice one, John. I feel safer already :laugh:
Bill

More
02 Aug 2016 22:55 #12 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I think that the section should be given a wider Safety title than electrics as electrics are only a small part of the safety issues within tanks.

We have things such as electrics, weight, structural damage, toxicity, physical damage by fish, glass (and tank dismantling), and zoonoses.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
02 Aug 2016 23:35 #13 by nomad (pat murphy)
Excuse my ignorance Ian regarding zoonoses,can you enlighten pls,cheers...

More
03 Aug 2016 00:15 #14 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Replied by Sukahn (Shane Doorley) on topic Electrics
Zoonosis is a disease transmittable from animals to humans :) for us fish people the most common, Fish TB.

More
03 Aug 2016 00:35 #15 by nomad (pat murphy)
Big Wow, so fully equipt aquarium now for sale,thanks Sukahn

More
03 Aug 2016 07:10 #16 by robert (robert carter)
Is this a actual concern to fishkeepers, how do you know if your fish have TB?

More
03 Aug 2016 07:52 #17 by robert (robert carter)
What about calling the section safety within the fishkeeping hoby this could then include the broarder issues as sudjested by Ian

More
03 Aug 2016 10:48 #18 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic Electrics
A health and safety section is a great idea, like many of the others I never heard of fish TB. This new section can be very educational.

More
03 Aug 2016 16:47 #19 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Replied by JustinK (Justin Kelly) on topic Electrics
So what's the answer to the original question ?

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds