Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

× Members' "selfie" Pictures

Pictures of yourself

More
20 Aug 2014 09:43 - 21 Aug 2014 11:04 #1 by JohnH (John)
I know this has been tried on several occasions on our Forum but I thought it worth digging up again here (now we have the Member Profile section).

We must all go to the Fish Shops from time to time and on these occasions quite regularly see other people there, either buying fish - or asking advice. I have often wondered if any other of these customers are actually Forum members, as I would guess you have too.
So, with this in mind I thought it would be a handy thing if everyone could post a picture of themselves here - does anyone agree?

John

As ever, if anyone is having trouble getting their picture published here they can send it to me at the competition address:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Clearly marking that it is a 'MEMBER PHOTO' and giving your Forum user-name (so I don't get it confused with the huge amount of Competition entries :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ) I'll make sure it will appear here.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2014 11:04 by JohnH (John). Reason: corrected a mistake

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2014 11:53 #2 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
as requested :P
Attachments:

More
20 Aug 2014 12:07 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Pictures of yourself
That's brilliant - our first snap (this time around).
Maybe we'll set up a 'rogue's gallery' - that should be interesting...

John

ITFS member.

More
20 Aug 2014 12:38 #4 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Attachments:

More
20 Aug 2014 14:59 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Hard to compete with anthonyd's swimsuit shot :whistle:
But here I am in all my muttonheaded glory!

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Attachments:

More
20 Aug 2014 16:01 - 20 Aug 2014 16:05 #6 by JohnH (John)
He's shown us this before, but here is James (Irish-zx10r) and his partner Catherine:

Edit: I can't leave a 'thank you' for this picture as I posted it - so please take it as read - John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 20 Aug 2014 16:05 by JohnH (John). Reason: added an edit

More
20 Aug 2014 20:33 #7 by paddyc1 (Paddy Corrigan)
Here's me....

File Attachment:

Tallaght, Dublin 24

More
20 Aug 2014 20:34 #8 by paddyc1 (Paddy Corrigan)
Here's me (really)

File Attachment:

Tallaght, Dublin 24

More
20 Aug 2014 22:37 - 21 Aug 2014 00:23 #9 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
My picture is here and my lovely fish-keeping OH is also in the pic with me (I'm the one with the beard)

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2014 00:23 by JohnH (John). Reason: Added the pic

More
21 Aug 2014 06:43 - 25 Jul 2015 21:22 #10 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)
Last edit: 25 Jul 2015 21:22 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy).

More
21 Aug 2014 07:37 #11 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
Yours truly, and Pon my girlfriend. She is probably a better fish keeper than I am and i could not be running 10 tanks without her help (and her permission of course ). Hard to find a pic where we are not being clowns so sorry about that.

File Attachment:

More
21 Aug 2014 08:28 #12 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Here's a pic of me and our new arrival - the reason why I have to get rid of my 7' tank but trying not to hold it against him :)

Have a tank set aside for him already :)

Attachments:

More
21 Aug 2014 09:34 - 21 Aug 2014 11:00 #13 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
This be me

Last edit: 21 Aug 2014 11:00 by JohnH (John). Reason: Added the pic

More
21 Aug 2014 09:50 - 21 Aug 2014 11:10 #14 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Great idea John I was in athlone same time as another forum member and didnt relise for few weeks later.

@ski dont feel so bad we all had to make some choices liks yours I had to sell my motorbike to buy all the essentials for my first daughter

to everyone else keep them mugshots coming

Something fishie going on here
Last edit: 21 Aug 2014 11:10 by irish-zx10r (James feenan). Reason: I didn't sell my daughter typo error

More
21 Aug 2014 10:04 #15 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Great idea John I was in athlone same time as another forum member and didnt relise for few weeks later.

@ski dont feel so bad we all had to make some choices liks yours I had to sell my motorbike with my first daughter

You sold your bike AND your first daughter?
Wow! That's dedication to the hobby :whistle:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
21 Aug 2014 10:08 #16 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Here's me....

File Attachment:

I'm sure I've seen that guy in Seahorse.... though possibly in one of the tanks!

More
21 Aug 2014 11:02 #17 by JohnH (John)

Here's a pic of me and our new arrival - the reason why I have to get rid of my 7' tank but trying not to hold it against him :)

Have a tank set aside for him already :)

Most people use cots for their children...

(Sorry, I just thought I'd try to make a joke)
John

ITFS member.

More
21 Aug 2014 11:10 #18 by Ski (Alan McGee)
I'll give you a laugh John, ha ha :)

More
21 Aug 2014 11:19 #19 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

@ski dont feel so bad we all had to make some choices liks yours I had to sell my motorbike with my first daughter

That was a typo error lol I wouldn't sell or swap the kids anymore

Lmao good one John a 4x2 tank with nice mattress would make a perfect crib for young baby :)

Something fishie going on here

More
21 Aug 2014 11:24 #20 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

That was a typo error lol I wouldn't sell or swap the kids anymore

Lmao good one John a 4x2 tank with nice mattress would make a perfect crib for young baby :)

It'd be a handy, sneaky way of constantly upgrading to a bigger tank over time.
"Looks like little Jimmy is getting too big for his old 180L. We'd better set him up in a 450L soon!" :whistle:

More
21 Aug 2014 12:12 #21 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
Thats me ..

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker**

More
21 Aug 2014 19:26 - 21 Aug 2014 19:26 #22 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Aug 2014 19:26 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago).

More
21 Aug 2014 20:00 - 21 Aug 2014 20:01 #23 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Hehe Santi nice hat!

Ian I saw you like one month ago or so at dunnes stores with your lady (Justine? don't remember)..told my husband hey this guy is from the forum!

That's me and my fish face :laugh:

Last edit: 21 Aug 2014 20:01 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
21 Aug 2014 21:15 #24 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
:cool:
You should have popped over to say "Hi" then.

Yep..Justine is my lady.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
21 Aug 2014 21:18 #25 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Yep..Justine is my lady.

ian

Beard or not, the sexual dimorphism is still very clear ;)

More
21 Aug 2014 22:41 - 21 Aug 2014 22:42 #26 by swai (Simon)
Replied by swai (Simon) on topic Pictures of yourself
I don't have a picture to hand but i presume its safe to say if you see an Asian guy speaking with a thick Dublin accent then its me :laugh: :laugh: I'm sure a few of the forum members were caught out when they first saw and heard me!

Marino, Dublin 9
Last edit: 21 Aug 2014 22:42 by swai (Simon).

More
21 Aug 2014 22:47 #27 by JohnH (John)

I don't have a picture to hand but i presume its safe to say if you see an Asian guy speaking with a thick Dublin accent then its me :laugh: :laugh: I'm sure a few of the forum members were caught out when they first saw and heard me!

Sorry, not good enough - now c'mon Swai - I bet you have one somewhere - a description just doesn't 'cut it'.

John

ITFS member.

More
21 Aug 2014 22:54 - 21 Aug 2014 23:22 #28 by swai (Simon)
Replied by swai (Simon) on topic Pictures of yourself
Just for you John!

I had to get the wife to send me this :laugh: :laugh:

Marino, Dublin 9
Last edit: 21 Aug 2014 23:22 by JohnH (John). Reason: Moved pic from preview to a full one.

More
21 Aug 2014 23:20 #29 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
It's not hard to guess were I work :whistle:
File Attachment:

More
22 Aug 2014 08:26 #30 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

Yep..Justine is my lady.

ian

Yeah I probably should, anyway we'll meet some other day since we live pretty close and I go to Cabinteely frequently!

About what James says it happened to me at seahorse with Santi, was looking at him but wasn't sure, and then the same day or the next I meet him.
First time I walked into SH I thought mostly everybody were forum users so I asked to a guy in the queue 'hey are you from the forum too?' And the guy looked at me with a face something alike weird-scared and told me 'no'...so I haven't asked anybody since. In fact now I think thats pretty rare to be at the same time with one or two members in a lfs.

Darren apart from being a facking sensei regarding almost everything also is the mastah o faces, (you should have this tittle under your name)he knows about most of us!

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds