Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New Addition to my Aquarium

More
16 Jul 2014 16:35 - 16 Jul 2014 20:20 #1 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Found this on the low tide last week, mind you I got my arms wet getting it .......

Last edit: 16 Jul 2014 20:20 by JohnH (John). Reason: Inverted Tubeworm colony

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2014 18:42 #2 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Sooo stupid question, what is it?

More
16 Jul 2014 19:15 - 16 Jul 2014 20:23 #3 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
It's a colony of TubeWorm, for some reason the photo uploaded upside down

Edit from JohnH
Inverted pic, that is really stunning, it's hard to believe we have beauty like this around our shores.
Last edit: 16 Jul 2014 20:23 by JohnH (John). Reason: A little edit

More
29 Jul 2014 00:14 #4 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Thart is the business mate nice one well done

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
01 Aug 2014 08:46 #5 by paulv (paul vickers)
Just wondering crusty, whats the law regarding removal of any native marine life other than fishing, which needs a licence.
Wonderful find btw. Must look great in your tank.

More
21 Aug 2014 10:37 #6 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel)
Jaysus! Just saw this now! absolutely stunning :-) Well done on the find, any chance for a video? Must look mad when they are all moving their "fangs" together. Thanks for sharing

More
23 Sep 2014 20:56 #7 by Mr B (C B)
That's spectacular. Have you got any photos of it in your tank?

More
22 Feb 2015 22:15 #8 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

More
22 Feb 2015 22:20 #9 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

More
22 Feb 2015 23:29 #10 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
savage!!!!

how the hell did you get a damsel in their lol

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
23 Feb 2015 09:32 #11 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
The damsel is a lucky little chap, he was left in a bucket on my doorstep, water was cold and on his side. He has been in my native tank for over 18 months now.

More
23 Feb 2015 09:36 #12 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Very nice Crusty

More
23 Feb 2015 09:59 #13 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel)
Brilliant Crusty, great to see an update, nice pics. Those tube worms are just insane! still cant get over it ;-) How is that sea lemon fairing? I got one too this weekend but not sure what they feed on? Is the algea in your tank growing on its own or did you collect it? The Dulce is looking really nice.
All the best

More
23 Feb 2015 11:23 #14 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Thanks Marius,
The Sea lemon feeds on sponges and organic matter, I was hoping it would have a go at some algae, but as yet it has not.
The Dulce is growing away nicely, as is the Ulva. For some reason the Jap weed Sargassum muticum, never seems to thricve in my tank, whats your secret with it?

More
23 Feb 2015 11:39 #15 by Joukeder (Jouke)
Looks great Crusty!
CU soon.
Jouke

More
23 Feb 2015 11:50 #16 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel)
Hi Pete,

Very jealous ;-) Would love to grow Dulce! So the Dulce is growing in yours and the Jap weed isnt, very interesting as thats the opposite in mine. Could be due to light spectrum or temperature, day length?
I would guess you have a colder light which is better for deeper water seaweeds and preferable to the reds?
I have pure 6500k what do you have? What temp are you at? I am running exactly to current daylight at 11.5degrees now. But the Jap weed is also growing in the splittank (also on 6500k) which is at 17degrees. (this will change today hopefully with a small upgrade)

Cheers

More
23 Feb 2015 11:53 #17 by MarinusAddictus (Marius Schudel)
Re: Sea lemon, I feared that. For algea the seahare is brilliant. A real eating machine. Dont have any sponges but will see how it does, other wise it can go back to the wild,

More
23 Feb 2015 21:04 #18 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
looks fantastic

Something fishie going on here

More
08 Mar 2016 20:44 #19 by Mr B (C B)
Beautiful Tank. Do you use a chiller?

More
27 Oct 2020 10:54 #20 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Yes I do use a chiller. Teco 1000.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds