Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

planning permission granted

More
27 Jun 2016 13:32 #181 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
I do given I'd only had him that afternoon and a late call into work meant I didn't discover him for hours. All his tank mates are flying the flag but I think a full gravel clean and wc will be happening tonight....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2016 13:49 #182 by robert (robert carter)
that's the thing with koi messy little fxxxxers,, they need constant work to keep then right .

More
27 Jun 2016 14:27 #183 by alan 64 (alan)
The ones i got are very nervous when i am around i presune there not ise too the tank enviroment do u find this with urs

More
27 Jun 2016 14:48 #184 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
They are totally nervous and whizzing about, again they seemed to be this way in Newlands also, hopefully they'll calm down as you say. I don't think light or water quality is anything to do with it, they have probably spent a couple of weeks with shams like us gawking in at them, hopefully human interaction and food association will calm em

More
27 Jun 2016 15:02 - 27 Jun 2016 15:03 #185 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
That'll be happening Robert, they are hardy all the same, had some before in the same tank but at the time I think I had a mini crisis in the pond and I needed the tank as a holding area so I gave them away...

Looking forward to getting back into really looking after the tank, the pond has had all my attention with the good weather and watching it bloom has been fantastic!!
Last edit: 27 Jun 2016 15:03 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan).

More
27 Jun 2016 19:57 #186 by robert (robert carter)
Fed mine just before going out to work , they didnt show alot of interest , hate having uneaten food in the gravel . I surpose us humans wood be a little upset put in the same situation , they will settle down and associate you will food in a few days . I cant move in the garden without the pondfish comming up thinking they are going to be fed

More
28 Jun 2016 17:10 #187 by alan 64 (alan)
Ove a matter of interest rob how do the fish u got from newlands compare to the ones that u got up north

More
28 Jun 2016 17:33 #188 by robert (robert carter)
they compare quite well , hoping with a bit of tlc and feeding they will improve, certainly the quality is good . they are very competitive on price , I paid 12 stg for similar size fish ,so that's more than double the price in Newlands . they do seem a bit scaty though I had one jump out though the small hole where the auto feeder is . got him back and reckon he will be ok .

More
28 Jun 2016 18:02 #189 by alan 64 (alan)
Mine have calmed down a good bit but still freak out once in a while im gna build an overhead sump to up the filtration on the tank as im feeding 3 times a day

More
30 Jun 2016 10:37 #190 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
I currently have a JBL900 and an Eheim 2236 filtering. Mine too have calmed down a bit, planning a major gravel clean this weekend. I have to clean out the JBL, I hate doing it as the primer always gets stuck and it's a "insert bad word" to get going again!!

More
30 Jun 2016 13:24 #191 by robert (robert carter)
priming any externals is a pain , so glad I was told to go for a sump

More
30 Jun 2016 13:38 #192 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
The 2236 is simple but you just have to be careful not to break the handle and then once you burp it afterwards its smooth

More
30 Jun 2016 14:50 #193 by alan 64 (alan)
I have a fluval 306 on mine so i built a small overhead sump onto the tank today that will easily double my filtration it worked.out well and very cheap as i had filter media and a power head there that i wasnt using so all i had to buy was a container and a compression joint for the outlet flow so it was all done for 8 euro

More
30 Jun 2016 18:14 #194 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Alan any chance of a picture , i know i cant do pictures but would be nice to see an overhead sump in action . Robert

More
30 Jun 2016 23:43 #195 by alan 64 (alan)
I will take a few pics and explain each part in steps when i get a chance prob over the weekend

More
01 Jul 2016 13:07 #196 by alan 64 (alan)

ok so picture one is the box wich is just a windo planter box from b&q with 2 compression plastic pipes for outflow and i put a 3rd in also for an overflow

Attachments:

More
01 Jul 2016 13:08 #197 by alan 64 (alan)

power head which i got from robert feeding the box
Attachments:

More
01 Jul 2016 13:10 #198 by alan 64 (alan)

here u can see it connected to the box
Attachments:

More
01 Jul 2016 13:11 - 01 Jul 2016 13:12 #199 by alan 64 (alan)

inside view
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Jul 2016 13:12 by alan 64 (alan). Reason: spel

More
01 Jul 2016 13:12 #200 by alan 64 (alan)

good flow rate
Attachments:

More
01 Jul 2016 13:15 - 01 Jul 2016 13:37 #201 by alan 64 (alan)
a quick vid of they guys that live here now

Last edit: 01 Jul 2016 13:37 by JohnH (John). Reason: Merged posts.

More
01 Jul 2016 20:24 #202 by robert (robert carter)
think the overhead sump is brilliant , so simple and a massive increase of filter media . the koi look good a nice kohatu in there . I got 10 more small koi today and started to scape the tank ,looks a bit better . did a gravel vac put the water through a filter sock and then returned it to the tank . check the webcam and let me know what you think

More
02 Jul 2016 00:09 #203 by alan 64 (alan)
I will robert what do i have to download the belkin program then use ur password yea i like tha patern on the kohaku realy pleased with the fish that gavin has got i will keep u posted in there progress

More
02 Jul 2016 08:00 #204 by robert (robert carter)
Just download the belkin app and put in the passwords

More
02 Jul 2016 09:06 #205 by alan 64 (alan)
You have good flow in that tank robert ur fish look realy happy some nice ones there i like the one there with the red head and the black dots on it what kind woukd that be classed as

More
02 Jul 2016 13:42 #206 by robert (robert carter)
The white body with black marking and just the red on the head is a tancho sanki , the quality of these is determended on the size and shape on the red marking on the head . Perfect being a circle of the red with a diameter that sit just between the eyes , basicly a copy of the red circle on the japanese flag . Next i will have to get to newlands before you pick the best fish :woohoo: :woohoo:

More
02 Jul 2016 16:59 #207 by alan 64 (alan)
Ha ha good man robert im not getting anymore for a bit so ur safe there, just find out if its safe to add more stock to ur tank after ur initial dose of oa as im not sure if the oa is working then u get an increased bio load weather it responds to that or not. I could be wrong but i thought u ass all fish at once and if u wanna add more u wait until ur doing another oa dose

More
02 Jul 2016 20:34 #208 by robert (robert carter)
Yes the same thought crossed my mind , Darren in sh said no problem once oa is in you can stock as much as you want providing you add the liquid dose you get in the pack weekly . I was thinking of leaveing it for a couple of weeks to settle before adding anything else . Might try water test tomorrow but i heard you cant rely on them when using oa

More
03 Jul 2016 12:37 #209 by alan 64 (alan)
Also u have to think u dont want a huge bio load when u are cumming off the oa and i think its advisable to cut feeding down aswel when ur cummimg off oa

More
03 Jul 2016 19:27 #210 by robert (robert carter)
just done a water test which I know can be unrealable using oa but the ammonia is reading 2.0 and nitrite zero ,a bit worrying . but all seams ok

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds