Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

oh dear what have i done????

More
26 Mar 2016 21:04 #271 by carlowchris (chris)
Alex. What are your blues set at on your ghls at night???

Been playing around with my lights hard to find a good setting that keeeps the corals happy..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2016 21:14 #272 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Hey Chris

I have them on a moon cycle at 1% if I remember correctly. Lights go off at around 22 completely unless full moon, they then start at 8, and ramp up very very slowly until 12, then whites come on until 6 or so, then just a bit of blue until 10pm. What time do you switch them off at?

At the moment they are only at 30%. I will be getting rid off them soon btw... just in case you are interested. Great lights I have to say, I did a small test comparing them against the new AI hydra 52 HD and they are much more powerful but the AI interface makes it more attractive IMO to the normal aquarist.

More
26 Mar 2016 21:29 #273 by carlowchris (chris)
Thanks...used to have the blues running something similar but thought I'd take off the moon cycle and run the blues more kind of like a t5 light and only trying to visual y match ...probly more for me to see.....

Might be interested in yours.....seen so many mixed reviews of people preferring the 6100 over the 6200 and vice versa.......ghl saying the 6200.is superior ...might be good to do a mix like the big tank in seahorse.

More
26 Mar 2016 21:32 #274 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
I have the 6200, which model do you have?

There is very little difference between them, the 6200 are supposed to be their top light! I think the main difference was water penetration,. oh I also have a spare power supply!

I will let you know before I put them for sale :)

More
26 Mar 2016 21:50 #275 by carlowchris (chris)
I've the 6100hv...I bought them just as the 6200 was being released ...seahorse didn't even have them in stock ...only had two on display above the big tank.....

Done a bit of work on the reactor last night and bio pellett reactor is now ready to go int he sump going to do a bit more plumbing now tommorrow and get it hooked up for maxium mulm to get drawn into the skimmer....your flow rates and pipe sizes should make this a lot easier...
Thanks

More
26 Mar 2016 21:54 #276 by carlowchris (chris)
To get the bio pellets reactor in the sump all that rock has to go back into the tank......Lois like I'll be playing around with rock again tomorrow

More
26 Mar 2016 21:55 - 26 Mar 2016 21:55 #277 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Good to hear that! upload pictures please so we can see :cool:

Glad I could help :)
Last edit: 26 Mar 2016 21:55 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez).

More
26 Mar 2016 22:36 #278 by carlowchris (chris)
The reactor originally had an aquabee 3000 pump in it....this had been replaced with a blau 3000..not only for a little bit of saving on electricity but for more controlability...to do this has to redo all the plumbing for it

File Attachment:

More
29 Apr 2016 19:38 #279 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Any full tank shots yet or are you still working on it

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
29 Apr 2016 21:32 #280 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Yes Chris get some full tank shots up :P

More
29 Apr 2016 22:30 #281 by carlowchris (chris)
Still working on it...haven't had much time time lately...work has been absolutely hectic....I used to get one or two calls a week in greystones and now I'm getting ten a day.....absolutely crazy

Being bank holiday I'll get stuck in......but not very happy with the rock I have and finding it hard to get the rock where I want it.....not buying anymore ...so I'll be working with what I have......Stuff Alex has is looking more and more appealing.

Only new addition lately is a little blonde naso tang.. ..nearly went for a gold rim..there was one left in sh quarantine......I'd really love one but thought there would be murder with the power blue.. ..as it went power blue wasn't too happy with the naso but he's settled in now.....spends most his time very high though in the tank ..but he's not being bullied and eating loads....flakes....frozen and pellets....he'll be big and fat in no time.

More
30 Apr 2016 23:33 #282 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Can't wait to see the tank mate. Get some pics up (runs away before someone asks me to put up pics of mine)

More
01 May 2016 12:26 #283 by carlowchris (chris)
ok going to get stuck in.....little pic of how the tank looks now....don't know if it will change much by tonight but going to contrentrating a lot on the cabinet today

File Attachment:

been really busy lately so tank needs a little tlc....and sorry pics abit crap.....that's the phones fault :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

More
01 May 2016 13:20 #284 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Looking cool B)

More
01 May 2016 13:34 #285 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Well it's about fecking time I was nearly going to call down to you just to have a look haha

You were talking to me before about the towers your 99% their man!!!!!
Move the few you have in the middle and put them on the left and you have two towers
The one on the right is amazing and the one on the left is cool, so you have two very interesting focal point (if you get me 'try it)

Blond naso is a great choice very cool fish

Can't believe the other gold rim is still out their wow
Your lucky you didn't get it as him and the pb would have bet the crap out of each other until one was dead

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
01 May 2016 22:21 #286 by carlowchris (chris)
Time to call it a night....changed posistion of the gyre and got a shit storm going on in the tank.....so no pics..I can bearly see into the tank myself.......never really been happy with all he gyre but moved it on to the side wall and for some reason no noise now......strange...but no noise.

Spent most the day glueing and cutting pipe.....New returns ..New return pumps..and new reactors going in....
But short one union fitting ...so I'll have to pick that up Tuesday when I'm back in Dublin.

The rocks in the middle have a torch some button. Polyps and a toadstool attached to them..got to try to get those off the rocks before I can reposition the rocks.

A lot done for today though :)

More
20 Jun 2016 18:35 #287 by carlowchris (chris)
Hi guys...really peed off at the mo with equipment..

Came home frome a few days in London.. and disaster.

Two bleu 300lph pumps have packed up on me at what seems to be exactly the same time.....controllers seem to be working bit pumps seem to be completely dead....one was feeding the skimmer and one was feeding the reactor .....both less than 6 months old....well that will teach me for not keeping the boxes and receipts.

Fish street only sent me a new motor and it don't work ..so the controllers is at fault... ..time to write them another nasty email......problem is there English is so bad they probly won't even understand why I'm annoyed.

And a jaboa 8000 lph return pump also packed up whilst I was away too...

Unlessmy house got struck by lightning whistle I was away there's something very fishy(pardon the pun) going on..

More
20 Jun 2016 18:44 #288 by carlowchris (chris)
Hi guys...really peed off at the mo with equipment..

Came home frome a few days in London.. and disaster.

Two bleu 300lph pumps have packed up on me at what seems to be exactly the same time.....controllers seem to be working bit pumps seem to be completely dead....one was feeding the skimmer and one was feeding the reactor .....both less than 6 months old....well that will teach me for not keeping the boxes and receipts.

Fish street only sent me a new motor and it don't work ..so the controllers is at fault... ..time to write them another nasty email......problem is there English is so bad they probly won't even understand why I'm annoyed.

And a jaboa 8000 lph return pump also packed up whilst I was away too...

Unlessmy house got struck by lightning whistle I was away there's something very fishy(pardon the pun) going on..

More
20 Jun 2016 19:29 #289 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Oh god, really bad luck there! Feel sorry for you, that's a lot to go at once

More
20 Jun 2016 19:58 #290 by carlowchris (chris)
Ok me bad :evil:

Turns out all my pumps need a clean...on taking the return pump apart a quick wipe of the impeller and hey presto...it's back in action...same with skimmer pump ...

Suppose I'll have to give these a proper clean tommorrow and the glass could definitely do with doing a once over. but been up since 3.30.so off to bed .

Strange that they all went at once though. :unsure:

More
20 Jun 2016 20:25 #291 by robert (robert carter)
I keep three seperant notebooks and use them as dairies , one for the pond , community tank, and coldwater tank , that way i know what maintaince has to be done and when . Just checking today and realised that the aqua cl 1200 internal is due its clean out tomorrow night . All equipment purchased is written down, date cost where purchased from and reciept numbers , it only takes a couple of mimutes . Also great for recording meds used , also log results of all water test . Might seem a bit much to some but i think its worth it . Hope things work out ok for you ,trust you didnt lose any fish

More
20 Jun 2016 22:21 #292 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)

More
10 Jul 2016 10:55 #293 by carlowchris (chris)
Didn't loose any fish but a Duncan coral and a torch are not happy at all...strange thing is a green plating monti that I've been worried about for month and loosing it colour...but it still had good growth has bounced back .

Good job I was only away for a few days and not a week or two or I'd be in real trouble.. ..Think I may start some proper diary s....instead of just little notes..

Seriously thinking about getting an apex more for monitoring than anything else.....Think I might make use of seahorses credit facility for this though.....very expensive peice of kit

Dory may be heading off for a new home soon as well if I can only catch him....he's about 4-5 inches and I've probly had for about 4 years ...him and the the bangai are the only fish I think left from maidenhead aquatic s.......but got someone with a monster of a tank who's looking for him so he'll go to a much bigger home with plenty of room to swim out the rest of his life....don't know if I'll get another baby dory ....there severely under rated for such a beautiful fish.

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds