Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New marine tank

More
17 Nov 2013 18:09 #31 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic New marine tank
Hoping the misses surprises you for Xmas are yeh if she anything like mine you'll be waiting a long time haha

Yeah I like the New look allot looks deadly well done mate not many people realise how hard it is to design something nice with live rock think it took me a full day to do mine but yeah well done looks cool

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2013 18:19 #32 by ck1 (chris)
Replied by ck1 (chris) on topic New marine tank
haha id be waiting a very long time for that, i wasnt sure at first but i like it much better now opens it up abit more

More
17 Nov 2013 19:02 #33 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
have to say I prefer the new look. as you say, it opens it up and makes it look less like a clump of rocks. and to me it has more of an underwater reef look

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
18 Nov 2013 17:14 #34 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
I agree with LJ... I prefer the new looks, give the tank a feel of "openness"

More
01 Dec 2013 22:54 #35 by ck1 (chris)
For the last few days i have being getting green algae on the sand and rocks with air bubbles on it and like a dust on the glass. If i clean it it comes back in a few hours , i am waiting on a test kit i ordered so i have no readings yet i change 15 litres every week have being cleaning the external every day which is running seachem purigen, seachem phosguard and a bit of spounge that was in the filter, i have 2 clowns 1 royal gramma and some shrimp. i know its hard to tell without readings and i cant get a photo that shows it accurately but has anyone any idea if this is just the tank maturing or something else

More
03 Dec 2013 18:57 #36 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Didn't mean to thank you their oops

I'm a bit confused mate with the way you now have ur Filter compared to the start you now have it set up wrong this is most probably ur problem and why are you always cleaning it

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
03 Dec 2013 19:51 #37 by ck1 (chris)
I was only cleaning it everyday to be on the safe side it wasn't getting clogged up or anything. I am going to be using it for chemical filtration only. The live rock should take care of the rest. I had the filter removed for a week while I was waiting for a replacement and the tank looked great so I'm thinking of removing it once I get enough flow

More
06 Dec 2013 15:19 #38 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
If your not using it for lr the only Thing that's should be in their is micro mec carbon (now and again) maybe rowaphos and floss to be change every 5-7 day's

More
25 Mar 2014 14:37 #39 by txtmess (Ciaran)
Replied by txtmess (Ciaran) on topic New marine tank
Nice looking tank those lights are defintly doing a good job where did you get them from ?

More
06 Apr 2014 13:18 #40 by ck1 (chris)
got a new tank over the weekend its 90x50x50 optiwhite front and sides drilled at back with ocean life oveflow. I have everything transferred over but my return pump is too powerful, waiting on a new one to be delivered
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

More
06 Apr 2014 13:36 #41 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
The layout of your existing tank is terrific...Very very natural looking...

Lucky you with a new tank...It looks the business..The stand colour is lovely!

Will be terrific when its scaped and stocked..

Fair play to ya :cool:

More
06 Apr 2014 14:30 #42 by ck1 (chris)
Thanks.After hours last night i managed to get the scape back to something like what i had it alot harder than i thought

More
06 Apr 2014 18:34 #43 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Any pics?

More
06 Apr 2014 20:54 #44 by ck1 (chris)
ill get some when ive the sump up and running

More
06 Apr 2014 21:25 #45 by ck1 (chris)
just a quick pic running a external with carbon and floss the clear the water after the move
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

More
06 Apr 2014 21:39 #46 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Looks really good :)

More
06 Apr 2014 22:29 #47 by carlowchris (chris)
Replied by carlowchris (chris) on topic New marine tank
Love the rock work.looks amazing

More
07 Apr 2014 19:15 #48 by ck1 (chris)

More
07 Apr 2014 19:27 #49 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Absolutely stunning tank..terrific job extremely well done..So natural looking..10 out of 10 :cool:

More
07 Apr 2014 20:54 #50 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Stunning looking setup.....
Looks very elegant

Belongs in a posh business or hotel

More
14 Apr 2014 17:20 #51 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Lovely new tank mate looks very well

More
17 Apr 2014 23:03 #52 by ck1 (chris)

More
02 May 2014 19:47 #53 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Haha 'I see you

How's things mate! how's the tank running for yeh

More
04 May 2014 15:35 #54 by Irishgunner (Andrew)

File Attachment:

Looking good mate B) Loving the aquascaping

More
14 May 2014 16:58 #55 by ck1 (chris)

Haha 'I see you

Tank is going good now setteling down after the move. Haven't really added anything new just some frags and a large fan worm. Going to start running bio pellets once my reactor arrives .
File Attachment:

More
14 May 2014 20:06 #56 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Cracking looking tank you have there

Eric

More
17 May 2014 21:05 #57 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Haha 'I see you

Tank is going good now setteling down after the move. Haven't really added anything new just some frags and a large fan worm. Going to start running bio pellets once my reactor arrives .
File Attachment:

Ah that's good to hear you deserve it bet ur glad you made the move now told yeh you'll never look back it's a different world in these tanks, absolutely love that fan worm it looks deadly
Interested in how yeh get on with the bio pellets heard they can be nitrate factories and then you have to add a nitrate reactor catch 22 really, money money money, I don't believe in them never used them and don't need to sure I have to add nitrate each mt small bit for the corals to be happy
But really looking forward to seeing what you gonna do coral wise, it's looking great fair play

More
24 May 2014 23:33 #58 by ck1 (chris)
Cheers jeff, ya very glad i made the switch i find this much more interesting. What are you running for phosphates.
Made up a filter sock holder today, there was none in the lfs happy with how it turned out
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

More
25 May 2014 13:32 #59 by carlowchris (chris)
Replied by carlowchris (chris) on topic New marine tank
looking absolutely fantasic

I MUST SAY IM EXTREMLY JELOUS

did ya get your reactor yet???
are ya going to run the pellets??

More
26 May 2014 23:45 #60 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
i do find good planted tanks amazing but your right its much more interesting in a marine tank its a different world altogether

excellent job with the sock holder i take it its all rust proof yeah!!

this does sound very strange, but i dont use anything for phosphates and they are undetectable??? either the skimmer is doing the jod or its the micromec thats doing it i dont really know :whistle: :whistle: maybe its a mature thing :unsure: :unsure: or rinsing the frozen food in ro is helping but, saying that i dont feed that very often
when i had a weaker skimmer i had them and when i upgraded to a better one they where gone so my money is on the skimmer

love the new pics its looking very cool fair play B)

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds