Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New marine tank

More
01 Jun 2014 22:51 #61 by ck1 (chris)
Replied by ck1 (chris) on topic New marine tank
Ya sock holder is stainless steel. What skimmer are you running now.
@chris im thinking of running the new all in one pellets but undecided yet im dosing nopox now and getting on ok so might keep that up
File Attachment:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2014 18:07 #62 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic New marine tank
Cool it looks thi bizz good job

I'm now using the deltec apf600 with a 2000lph pump set at about 1200/1300lph

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
16 Sep 2014 21:34 #63 by ck1 (chris)
I havent updated this in a while. the tank is going well, i have picked up a few bits over the last few months and im now running the new all in one bio pellets i also changed the skimmer for a bubble magus curve 5.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

More
27 Apr 2015 21:42 #64 by ck1 (chris)

More
27 Apr 2015 23:18 #65 by carlowchris (chris)
Replied by carlowchris (chris) on topic New marine tank
Looking good....love the bubble and what's to right of it..???torch ????looks almost completely white but fantastic...Looking at this on my phone so fairly small and very clear but that's a very impressive tank.

More
11 May 2015 17:31 #66 by ck1 (chris)
Thanks.The centre is an orange hammer and that's a torch to the right really bright green with pink/blue tips

More
11 May 2015 17:32 #67 by ck1 (chris)
Got a new ghl mitras over the weekend and made a stainless steel bracket to mount it very happy with it great light
File Attachment:

More
11 May 2015 19:01 #68 by MarkTipp (Mark Ryan)
Great looking tank!! Ill be setting up a marine tank in the near future but just have a qq regarding the cycle of your tank as I would of thought if you used live rock that is a few years old that the tank would cycle very quickly? How long did it take for yours to cycle?

More
11 May 2015 20:11 #69 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Thats some beautiful tank, very clean and the corals are looking great. Congratulations

You are gonna love the Mitras as well, using them for over a year and they are excellent.

What happened to the tube anemone? Can't see it on the last picture.

I see you also have a Sailfin and a Hippo... I got mine when they were both as bing as a 1 euro coin and now they are around 12 cm big. They wont stop growing, and the sailfin can be quite territorial with new tangs. Are you planning in upgrading anytime soon?

More
11 May 2015 21:24 #70 by ck1 (chris)
When I first set up I got the rock from someone breaking down a mature tank so the day before I collected the rock I filled the tank then I collected the rock in big buckets filled with his tank water so it never dried up. The tank was nearly cycled straight away

More
11 May 2015 21:30 #71 by ck1 (chris)
Thanks I'm loving the light . The tube anemone is still there was just retracted when I took the picture. No plans for an upgrade I got the sailfin to take care of some bubble algae I couldn't shift and will be going back soon, the hippo I plan on keeping until he outgrows the tank

Thats some beautiful tank, very clean and the corals are looking great. Congratulations

You are gonna love the Mitras as well, using them for over a year and they are excellent.

What happened to the tube anemone? Can't see it on the last picture.

I see you also have a Sailfin and a Hippo... I got mine when they were both as bing as a 1 euro coin and now they are around 12 cm big. They wont stop growing, and the sailfin can be quite territorial with new tangs. Are you planning in upgrading anytime soon?

More
13 May 2015 00:01 #72 by carlowchris (chris)
Replied by carlowchris (chris) on topic New marine tank
Cool love the bracket for the Midra....very neat B)

More
04 Jun 2015 21:14 #73 by lenny (Sean is playing poker!)
Just after reading this topic, great read it was of the progress and changes you made over the few years!!
glad that I got to read it all like this & not over the time you were making it,
that tank looks great, was it a custom build, I can kinda see a badge on the front of the glass? what is the volume of litres it holds
out of curiosity how come you didn't opt for a cover on the tank to slow the rate of evaporation?

From reading this you really making me want to try start a marine :)

More
04 Jun 2015 22:44 #74 by ck1 (chris)
Thanks. The tank is a clearseal reef space 900 it hold about 225 litres and 70 litre sump. To be honest the evaporation was something I didn't think of at the time and is something I would consider if I ever upgrade, saying that like the look of the open top and there isn't excessive evaporation

Just after reading this topic, great read it was of the progress and changes you made over the few years!!
glad that I got to read it all like this & not over the time you were making it,
that tank looks great, was it a custom build, I can kinda see a badge on the front of the glass? what is the volume of litres it holds
out of curiosity how come you didn't opt for a cover on the tank to slow the rate of evaporation?

From reading this you really making me want to try start a marine :)

More
05 Jun 2015 20:41 #75 by ck1 (chris)

More
05 Jun 2015 21:49 #76 by ck1 (chris)

More
06 Jun 2015 09:10 #77 by Kmd (Keith mc donagh)
Hi, really nice looking tank. Can you tell me why you changed from the maxspect to midra? Great pics too, the duncan and the war coral look very healthy.

More
17 Jun 2015 19:28 #78 by ck1 (chris)
The ghl came up for a price I couldn't pass on and I'd someone interested in my maxspect so the upgrade cost me nothing. It's a much better light better spectrum and much brighter

More
22 Jun 2015 22:03 #79 by Kmd (Keith mc donagh)
Really nice when everything works out like that.

Looking forward to seeing more pics soon :)

More
07 Jul 2015 19:51 #80 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic New marine tank
Looking well mate

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds