Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

First Nano Marine Tank

More
10 Feb 2014 17:58 #1 by NosIreland (Andrius Kozeniauskas)
Hi Everyone,
I've started my first marine tank. Been doing planted tanks for a while but this time decided to have ago with marine.
Here are first photos:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2014 18:42 #2 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Really nice was really tempted at christmas to make the plunge after seeing the aquanano in seahorse.
your blue hermight crab is beautiffull.
Will you be adding later on some fishes and corals?
Thanks
Anthony

More
10 Feb 2014 19:04 - 10 Feb 2014 19:06 #3 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Awesome setup, love the hermit :cool:
Are you adding any fish? Which?
I'm crazy with this one theoatmeal.com/comics/mantis_shrimp onetwothree death!
Last edit: 10 Feb 2014 19:06 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
10 Feb 2014 20:17 #4 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
great looking setup- best of luck with it

S.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
10 Feb 2014 20:22 #5 by NosIreland (Andrius Kozeniauskas)
Yes, I will be adding corals and some fish. It started ~1 month ago and inverts went in yesterday.
Slowly but surely I'll be adding more :)

More
10 Feb 2014 20:31 #6 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Nice what method of filtration and lights are you using

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
11 Feb 2014 19:26 #7 by springbok (Pierre)
Looking good so far. Best of luck with it.

More
12 Feb 2014 18:47 - 12 Feb 2014 18:48 #8 by NosIreland (Andrius Kozeniauskas)

Nice what method of filtration and lights are you using

The filtration at the moment is standard that came with the tank, some floss filter with carbon and sponge.
I've added skimmer and in the process of making pellet reactor.
The standard light were replaced with aquaray 1500.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2014 18:48 by NosIreland (Andrius Kozeniauskas).

More
13 Feb 2014 12:58 #9 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
That's cool only thing I would change would be the sponges no need for them replace with jbl micromec and it will make a big difference in the future

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
04 Mar 2014 17:20 #10 by NosIreland (Andrius Kozeniauskas)
Small update.
Finally got finished reactor so it is in. Now onto light controller.

Added first corals:

More
04 Mar 2014 18:36 #11 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Very cool
Looks fantastic i have to say

I am picking up a fair bit of friction about my plan to set mine up this weekend!

Jeff and a few others have been more than helpful with their advice

More
06 Mar 2014 12:06 - 06 Mar 2014 12:12 #12 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Nice corals mate no turning back now your hooked for life :)

Ps I think the candys and a bit close the the xenia, as the xenia get bigger (very quick) it's going to get very close and get stung to death by the candys

Apologies if I'm wrong about the distance but that's the way it looks in the first pic

Last edit: 06 Mar 2014 12:12 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
25 Mar 2014 14:32 #13 by txtmess (Ciaran)
I would agree watch the xenia's as they are quick growers and can cause you issues but you could also look at fragging a great way to make some money back ( to spend on more stuff)

More
17 May 2014 21:32 #14 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
How's the tank running for yeh mate any new additions??

More
17 May 2014 21:51 #15 by Homer (Kevin)

Really nice was really tempted at christmas to make the plunge after seeing the aquanano in seahorse.
your blue hermight crab is beautiffull.
Will you be adding later on some fishes and corals?
Thanks
Anthony

I bought the Seahorse Aquanano, I love it , have stocked it with Shrimp , Black Clowns, Hermits and a yellow Goby, easy peasy.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
17 May 2014 22:05 #16 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Where's the pics kev :silly: :P

More
17 May 2014 22:18 #17 by Homer (Kevin)
I'll do a few tomorrow.

Kev.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
17 May 2014 23:20 #18 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
;) good man look forward to seeing it

More
17 May 2014 23:27 #19 by Homer (Kevin)
Unfortunately I inherited Aptasia on the Rock and recently noticed a vermetid snail on another rock I bought, I will treat the Aptasia with the Pep Shrimp I got and boiling water from a syringe.

Kev.

More
17 May 2014 23:47 #20 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
I had one of them snail things before use to think it was cool until it start pi...ng off my frogspawn Then I nearly climbed into the tank with a sowing pin and stabbed it to death had to break it housing a bit but it worked
Aptasia is also a pain not all peppermints will eat it, I heard lemon juice in the syringe is good but never tried it

More
18 May 2014 13:13 #21 by Homer (Kevin)

Where's the pics kev :silly: :P

Here is one for starters.

File Attachment:

Kev.

More
18 May 2014 13:15 - 18 May 2014 13:18 #22 by Homer (Kevin)

I had one of them snail things before use to think it was cool until it start pi...ng off my frogspawn Then I nearly climbed into the tank with a sowing pin and stabbed it to death had to break it housing a bit but it worked
Aptasia is also a pain not all peppermints will eat it, I heard lemon juice in the syringe is good but never tried it

I got the Pep last week, he disappeared, no sign for ages , then this morning, no Aptasias!!!!

Really sorry for the Thread Hijack guys, I will stop now and JH can delete, sorry again.

Kev.

Last edit: 18 May 2014 13:18 by Homer (Kevin).

More
18 May 2014 19:40 #23 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Yeh sorry noslreland

Kev update your own page :laugh:
Cool goby more pics on ur post please

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds