Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

first marine tank

More
18 Feb 2015 13:02 #1 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Hi all,

After years of keeping tropical fish I've made the move over to marines and it's the best move I've ever mad.

Tank has been running for two months and has really come to life.

Just added my first batch of corals, some green star polyps, zoa and something purple :) can't remember the name of it.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2015 17:11 #2 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Beautiful tank :cool: , that kind of tanks really look great.

I always thought about having a marine but since I don't see too much people keeping both...I guess switching would meant saying farewell to tropical.

More
18 Feb 2015 17:25 #3 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Ill be keeping an eye on this thread!
Marine tanks are amazing and this 1 has the potential to look really really good as it matures

More
18 Feb 2015 17:43 #4 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Cheers for the comments , still needs a little work but it's coming along really well.

Want to add a little more rock in the next week or two, few small bits around the side of the rock work. I'll have to add a skimmer and a uv soon.

I'd love a small tropical tank with a pair of apisto's again but just don't have the time

More
18 Feb 2015 19:01 #5 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
By the summer i will be keeping both
Just waiting for lights and then have to move stock around to free up the intended tank!!!

All being well ill have my marine running in 6 weeks from now

More
18 Feb 2015 20:00 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Beautiful tank :cool: , that kind of tanks really look great.

I always thought about having a marine but since I don't see too much people keeping both...I guess switching would meant saying farewell to tropical.

Really ??? :D

Me thinks not. :evil:

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
18 Feb 2015 20:27 - 18 Feb 2015 20:30 #7 by carlowchris (chris)
Looking good...you must of left justins with the exact same thought in your head as me...

GOD I WISH MORE MONEY....THAT TANK WOULD BE EMPTY BY THE TIME IM FINISHED

Only thing with your tank is the rock stood up against the back glass..it may provide a place for all the nasty stuff to settle..so if could move it..it would be better in the long run.....was the pink stuff he gave ya.pulseing xenia????...sorry purple stuff...hard to make out from the pics..what is it????
Last edit: 18 Feb 2015 20:30 by carlowchris (chris).

More
18 Feb 2015 20:40 #8 by alkiely (alan kiely)
@Chris I could of emptied his tank of coral he some fantastic corals. Just wish my tank was a few months older

The rock is about 2" from the back only the top rock lies against the back. It's something I'll keep an eye on though.

Don't think it his I'll ask justin want some more ha :)

More
18 Feb 2015 21:55 #9 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Really nice looking Tank :cool:

More
18 Feb 2015 22:49 - 18 Feb 2015 22:55 #10 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Welcome to the salty side mate

tread very careful adding more rock to a immature system, add very small amount over a long period

sorry for this but its threw a little experience, unless you want all that rock work next year covered in green star polyps 'gsp' i would remove it and place it in the sand it cant spread on sand but it will even grow on the clean glass, i also found that when its not able to spread it gets better colour in it

cant tell with the pics what the mystery purple thing is

if it is xenia that spreads quite fast also but its very easy to maintain with a sharp blade and some carbon

any chance you can take close up pics of corals im very interested in the green one on the left looks like a goniopora which is a challenge

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2015 22:55 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
18 Feb 2015 23:05 - 18 Feb 2015 23:06 #11 by alkiely (alan kiely)
I don't mind a little growth from the gsp to cover a little bit more of the rock work won't be letting it take over the tank.

Regarding the rock I looking to add very small bits maybe another 1-1.5kg a small bits

Here are some close up pics of the corals
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Feb 2015 23:06 by alkiely (alan kiely).

More
19 Feb 2015 00:35 #12 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
It's very hard to stop gsp spreading be very careful mate
You have the idea with the lr also just be careful and monitor the tank
Thanks for the close up pics Deffo not goniopora on left look like a mix of 2-3 softies on one rock toxic green buttons which look cool when under actinics, xenia, gsp but still can't see properly

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds