Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

clean up crew for a barebum tank

More
29 Feb 2016 23:15 #121 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Yeah I will selling it mid next year so il give you a shout first no probs
Can be very dodgy getting second hand rock unless it's seen in a running tank and you ask to do a po4 and no3 test, it seems like ur being a smart ass asking can I test this before I buy it, but it's ur headache if it's not good,
Shrimp would not be into high po4 or chemicals that are leaching from the rock from past treatment for disease ect. that's one of the worst nightmares we can't really test for, and that's what I would have been pointing the finger at, went went on in the tank the rocks came from, were all this first added around the same time? and how long were they in the tank?
Be good to see the triton test to see if theirs anything they don't test for, chemicals been the main one

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2016 21:48 #122 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Triton results attached bud
Attachments:

More
02 Mar 2016 21:56 - 03 Mar 2016 07:43 #123 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Just pulled 2 feck in bristle worms out of the tank! Now either they came in as eggs on an urchin! Or they are resilient as ****!!!! Cause I started off dry rock etc nothing from another tank has come in!

www.dropbox.com/sc/jonsowormlu5ayt/AAB1ifbxZI2fhNxMftL0DgFNa
Last edit: 03 Mar 2016 07:43 by hammie (Neil Hammerton).

More
03 Mar 2016 01:07 #124 by carlowchris (chris)
Am I reading that right??? What is it only manganese and iron off by tiny amounts????

Think I might get one of thoses tests done myself.

More
03 Mar 2016 07:39 #125 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Anything that doesn't have a green box is off
So elements: p, po4, zn, mo, br, ba, and v are all off balance a little! Tho without dosing the tank for full reef I'm not at all surprised these elements were missing or out of balance!
Triton tests are expensive but good in my opinion! I'd rather she'll out the money for the triton test once a year instead of loosing a load of corals or have another wipe out.

More
08 Mar 2016 23:03 #126 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Sorry bud for late reply, yeah the results aren't that bad, how long were fish in their before the died, my suspicious idea would be chemical over dose still leaching from the lr, can't think of anything else, or the stock you bought was shit anyway but even with that o can't see them all going at the same time

Worm's may have come in the sand?? If it was live sand!! I could be totally wrong here it's just a stab in the dark, noway it was from the urchin carrying eggs they grow quick but not that quick

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
09 Mar 2016 07:26 #127 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
They had been in the tank around 4 months and we're in great shape! So it's going to stay a mystery at this stage I recon

And as for the sand, it was dry going in! (Well no it was washed under the tap first but ya know what I mean)
Another thing I can't explain haha

More
09 Mar 2016 08:23 #128 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
I would say those worms came either in the live rock or in a coral frag.

I see so many of them come out of frags after a coral dip, luckily I dont thin any made it into the tank.

I am going to be extra cautious with new frags coming into the tank and quarantine them for a few weeks before moving them into the tank.

A stone crab did survive my dipping, some thing just cannot be killed, also, although I saw it, it was too cute so I could just kill it :( it will go in the sump with my other black crab.

More
10 Mar 2016 22:43 #129 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
At the min there's still no corals in the tank! Working like a trojan the last while so haven't had time to get them collected and get them in!!!! (Poor excuse I know)
And all the rock were dry for at least 3 months prior to going into the tank! Then 4 months in fresh water! So if it came in on the Rock, short of nuclear warfare....... they are fairly indestructable

More
10 Mar 2016 22:50 #130 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Sorry man I thought you had some fish and corals in the tank. I dont know why!

well if you havent added anything to the tank then it is kind of a miracle.

They wouldnt come in the live sand as this sand is not supposed to come with critters or any "bugs".

Rock was dry so if you havent added anything to the tank then I really dont know, mystery

More
12 Mar 2016 15:30 - 12 Mar 2016 15:30 #131 by carlowchris (chris)
The only theory I have is that it was in the really dense live rock that the phosphate was leaching out of.

You know the way some fish can cocoon themselves in mucous...wonder if worms can do something similar in case the tide goes out...some coral reefs are quite close to the sore line and I'm supposing they wouldn't be confined to the reef.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2016 15:30 by carlowchris (chris).

More
12 Mar 2016 16:07 #132 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I think you had it up your sleeve when you called round Chris!
And just dropped it in when I wasn't looking

Haha

I just want rid of the fecker now to be honest
But I haven't seen it since

More
15 Mar 2016 22:37 #133 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
That's fecking mad!!

I'd deffo say it was chris also sure how else did it get in their :P :lol:

More
17 Mar 2016 20:02 #134 by carlowchris (chris)
Ahhhh get the worm it's own tank ....Great little pet those fellas

More
21 Mar 2016 12:32 #135 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

1 from last night
And a few from 5.30 this morning before lights came on!!!!!

Recent additions are as follows
1x pistol shrimp
2x conch
2x nereus snails
2x Banghi cardinals
And a small frogspawn coral

Need more corals now

More
22 Mar 2016 00:57 #136 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Rock work looks cool fair play

More
23 Mar 2016 23:06 #137 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Thanks Jeff
I love the way the rocks are sitting! They aren't glued together or nothing, I've just arranged them so they are very stable!

I'm toying with the idea of a nice piece of aquaroche for the centre between the 2 pillars / caves, but kinda at the back behind them as well!
I just need to find a piece that will fit the way I want it too!

More
23 Mar 2016 23:29 #138 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
As long as ur 100% that their stable ur grand But it would be a good idea to stick them just incase, I used small amounts of reef puty here and their just as a caution and it's not the hard to pull it apart if needs be, better to be safe than devastated if a big turbo decided to show his strength
That new rock stuff does look cool might go down that route myself in the future and ur guaranteed u ain't going to have a rock slide

Can this be added to an established tank without problems or is it like adding dry rock and it's po4 problem's

More
23 Mar 2016 23:35 #139 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I'd cure it in a separate tank / container
As far as I am aware you won't have the same issues with po4 etc as there's nothing in it to give off unwanted contaminants!
(I could be wrong)

What I'd be tempted to do is put it to one side and slowly add that atm bacteria in a bottle!
Hopefully it would speed up the process of making it live, tho I've heard it can take quite a while to reach maturity!

A friend of mine has a lovely 3 ft (similar size to mine) setup using aquaroche and it does look amazing

More
24 Mar 2016 00:07 #140 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Seems like a safer way alright but like you say it would probably take a long time, and effort

Il let u be the Guinea pig on this one haha

More
24 Mar 2016 15:13 #141 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
You buy the aquaroche and I'll give it a go haha

Ah no when I find what I'm after I might just try it

More
24 Mar 2016 20:43 #142 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Haha love it

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds