Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Inspiration needed for a corner tank

More
17 Feb 2015 11:08 #31 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
The tank looks great Tommy, once the plants grow more it will look fantastic

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2015 11:35 #32 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)
Thanx for all the encouragement.

I was thinking the same myself hammie, any suggestions of a plant to use. The lights are just the standard t5 units that come with the jewul tank and the substrate is just pea gravel with a few pockets of miracle grow here and there for the heavier root feeders. There is no carbon only easy carbo added daily. Ant the only frets I'm using at the minute is api leaf zone.

More
17 Feb 2015 11:52 #33 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)

It's filling out very nicely. I only wish I had the patience for a planted tank ;)

Hi Lemon, I'm not exactly the most patient person either but I said id have a go, I kept it simple and its worked out fairly good,
the only extra work is adding the liquid carbon daily and its done at feeding time so I don't even notice it, and an odd trim of the plants
definitely give it a go, what's the worst that could happen!!

More
17 Feb 2015 12:00 #34 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Red Tiger lotus
nesaea crassicaulis
Alternanthera reineckii
Bunched Red cabomba

There are a few options. I dont know for sure if they would suit your setup to be honest, but have a look see what you think!!!

More
17 Feb 2015 12:06 #35 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)
Cheers Hammie,
Time to do a bit of googling, would you recommend any online sellers for plants

More
17 Feb 2015 12:08 #36 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

It's filling out very nicely. I only wish I had the patience for a planted tank ;)

Hi Lemon, I'm not exactly the most patient person either but I said id have a go, I kept it simple and its worked out fairly good,
the only extra work is adding the liquid carbon daily and its done at feeding time so I don't even notice it, and an odd trim of the plants
definitely give it a go, what's the worst that could happen!!

Nah, been there, done that and I didn't like my handiwork :hammer:
I've much preferred doing plantless setups lately. At least if I put rock or wood in place and it looks good, it still will 6 months later :cool:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
06 Jan 2016 22:53 #37 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)
I know it's been an age but I just said I'd put an update pic up
Attachments:

More
06 Jan 2016 23:09 #38 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)
I'm very tempted to start growing some plants out of the top of the tank and turn it into a riparium of sorts

More
07 Jan 2016 14:28 #39 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
That's really grown in. I think the riparium is a great idea, something a bit different and challenging. You could try anubias and Java fern near the surface.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
07 Jan 2016 16:43 #40 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)
Thanx lemon. its grown in great, even had some serious haircuts through the year it was a complete jungle at one stage. Had some problems with algae to but back to looking good again.
Definitely going to try the riparium nothing to permanent for now just something that can be easily changed back if it doesn't work out. Suspended baskets and the likes.

More
10 Jan 2016 00:12 #41 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Very cool, especially since many plants grow very differently out of the water... even growing different shaped leaves.

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds