Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Problem with Juwel 200W heater

More
20 Dec 2013 16:44 #1 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Hi guys and girls

My heater is at the minimun setup and the temp (it does have a - and a + sign in different stages) is no less than 27 degres, I don't have the central heating all the day and the temp at my home flows from 18 to 24 degres.

So I'm thinking in a Eheim and my question is how many W do I need for my 180l? I have read in other topics that a 200W is more than enough for a 400l so maybe I need less.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2013 18:21 #2 by paulv (paul vickers)
The rule is 1watt per liter of water, so 180l tank needs 200w heater. If its me id use 2 100W incase one breaks the other can manage untill you replace the broken one. It may seem more expensive but 2 small heaters will have to work much less than one bigger to maintain water temp.

More
20 Dec 2013 19:51 #3 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Will check how much is two of 100W (the 200W was around 40€) and if it is not very expensive I will follow your advise ;)

More
20 Dec 2013 20:06 #4 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Have to say the ehime heaters are very good indeed
I have 75w ehime and it's rated for 100ltr
Also they have a little gauge on them to adjust what the heater is actually at
Which imo is a brilliant idea
If you have the shillings there I would highly recommend getting the ehime

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
20 Dec 2013 21:31 #5 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
I need one with a temperature gauge before putting fishes into it for sure. First day I connected my actual one I set the selector in the second mark and next morning I touch the crystal and was really hot so I checked the temp and was over 30, the plants suffered a bit but at least I didn't have fishes.

More
20 Dec 2013 22:30 #6 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
I have 2 100w heaters I could give you for 20€ and I'm only down the road from you so I could drop them into you tomorrow

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
20 Dec 2013 23:05 #7 by paulv (paul vickers)
Thd JBL 100w heaters are about 30 each so Jef offer is great value. A glass thermometer is cheap and a verygood tool to have in all tanks.

More
20 Dec 2013 23:19 #8 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

I have 2 100w heaters I could give you for 20€ and I'm only down the road from you so I could drop them into you tomorrow

What an offer! Have them temp (numerical) gauge?

More
21 Dec 2013 00:55 #9 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
That's what we are here for ;)
they each have a gauge from 20c-34c and both at 24 in separate tanks kept the water at 24 spot on
Don't need them anymore due to concentrating on one new big tank in New year

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
21 Dec 2013 01:48 #10 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds