Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Filter help!

More
13 Oct 2014 13:49 #1 by db76 (Dwane Brennan)
Hi my Juwel internal filter pump has stopped working. Would I be better off trying to get a cheap used pump or replacing the filter completely?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2014 14:09 #2 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Silly question, have you tried to open it and clean the impeller?

More
13 Oct 2014 14:11 #3 by meleftone (Kevin Usher)
IMO if you can, you should replace it with an external filter, they are a lot mor efficient. Look in the for sale section here or on adverts.ie for a second hand one if funds allow.

More
13 Oct 2014 14:12 #4 by meleftone (Kevin Usher)

Silly question, have you tried to open it and clean the impeller?

Actually, this is a good suggestion to try first.

More
13 Oct 2014 14:14 #5 by db76 (Dwane Brennan)
Replied by db76 (Dwane Brennan) on topic Filter help!
I have taken the pump out , but not sure what the impeller is or how to clean?

More
13 Oct 2014 15:48 #6 by swai (Simon)
Replied by swai (Simon) on topic Filter help!
www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&...kzQhNZ8XvReOpM1kCf-A

Here is instructions on how to take out the impeller and give it a clean. It's the thing which spins and should be connected with a magnet. Could be something jamming it so not spinning.

Marino, Dublin 9

More
13 Oct 2014 17:38 #7 by db76 (Dwane Brennan)
Cheers will let you know how I get on!

More
13 Oct 2014 18:34 #8 by Lauris (Lauris)
Replied by Lauris (Lauris) on topic Filter help!
if it's gone it means it is time for..
...external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external external

:)

I am planted!

More
13 Oct 2014 18:55 #9 by db76 (Dwane Brennan)
Have tried cleaning it, but still nothing:(((

More
13 Oct 2014 18:59 #10 by db76 (Dwane Brennan)
I have put the Aqua Clear 30 power head in the filter space - seems to be going ok for now. Would this be ok for short term as payday isn't until Friday 24th of this month??? :(

More
13 Oct 2014 20:26 #11 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic Filter help!
Hi Dwane,listen even if you do get it going i would still say get rid of it.........an external filter is the way forward but i can help you out with a decent internal filter to tie you over until you do get one,if you want of course......Let me know man

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
14 Oct 2014 10:22 #12 by db76 (Dwane Brennan)
Cheers Ger, hoping to pick up a cheap internal tonight to do for now, will let you know.

More
16 Oct 2014 09:58 #13 by db76 (Dwane Brennan)
Hi have decided to replace the Juwel filter - any suggestions on how best to remove the box from tank without damaging tank?

More
16 Oct 2014 10:27 #14 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I used a thin knife to gently prise it off then used a stanley blade in a scraper to remove residue

More
17 Oct 2014 22:35 #15 by nomad (pat murphy)
Replied by nomad (pat murphy) on topic Filter help!
Firstly did you check the power supply that the fuse has,nt blown..

More
19 Oct 2014 08:10 #16 by dub320d (Derek)
Replied by dub320d (Derek) on topic Filter help!
Try using cotton buds, I had to use them to keep the impeller going but now I changed over to an external filter--best thing I ever did.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds