Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My White 7x2x2 Reef

More
06 Jan 2013 12:24 #1 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Alright lads so it is time to start a new blog for the new tank
It is a 7x2x2 white Clearseal tank have to say i delighted with it as i cant believe the size off it

So tonight we got the tank into the house was not light at all and thanks to those who helped (Andy,Brian,and the lads from Aquarium Solutions.

This is going to take a while to set up so bare with me over the next few weeks

This is where the tank is going
File Attachment:

We got the stand in first this was the easy part :lol:
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

This is a shot off the small tank and the big one :D
File Attachment:

When we got the tank part in was a lot off work but was great to see it in finally
File Attachment:

Added the Trunking to the tank tonight as i wanted to try get as much as i can done on it this is going to hide all the wire so will be as neat as possible
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Then i added the light to the stand so this we light up the whole sump i also wired them in and nut in trunking to make it neat
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

That was it for tonight, tomorrow will setting up the the light hanging kit and rail also will be doing to the wiring control box

i didn't need the pipe work as i didn't want to use the pipe work i got with the tank all this will be replaced with new pipe works with ball values to try get the balance i can

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2013 12:26 #2 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
As i said this is going to be a long road as i am looking to take my time with it

Tonight we sorted out the pipe work and put in an order for the few bits i need so hopefully will get them Monday and get it all in asap

i made up the control box and made a few shelves
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I also added a few controllers and the Pon Box's i don't know if i will have enough room for all them as i still have another 3 or 4 to add it to if needs be ill have to use the other side off the stand :lol:
I still have to drill the holes where the cables will go will do this over the weekend and try add the rest off the controllers
File Attachment:

I was going to put up the light hanging kit and rail tonight but i was looking at it and i will have to put in on the ceiling with dry wall fixings but the thing is the screws will not fit in the little nipples that go on the ceiling if you know what i mean so if anyone can help here would be great

And i am trying to find a way to mount the dosing pump some where neat in the sumo and also where to put the controller? again help needed

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
06 Jan 2013 12:29 #3 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Tonight i drilled out the back off the stand into the trunking so for the likes off cables off the lights and so on will go into these and then into the trunking and then bow to the control box so no wire's which is what i want as i am looking to set it up as neat as i can

I added the hanging kit and cut rail still have to add the lights and then decide on a height i want them hanging on still have to get aquarays 600s to add to my tiles thought
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I still have to drill holes in the control box for cables but didn't have a wood bit the right size so will get that tomorrow and do that so then when i am doing my change over from the other tank i can just out the wires in and wire them

After talking to Gerr and Brian (which i want to say thanks for helping me out) about the sump i removed my glass panel with the return section is to make it better so will get Tec7 tomorrow and make it better and reseal it

if anyone is good with rock work and doesn't mind doing it get on to me i can use your skills haha and also from doing a change over from a tank to tank will need help as not to stress the fish as much as i can

Thanks

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
06 Jan 2013 12:30 #4 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
went and got the big bottle off the coral glue for the rock work

File Attachment:

Had to get a few bits tomorrow as in a drill bit that i can drill the control box for the wires id say a 12m wood bit would do it

Also going to get door magnets like on presses for the shelve unit so i can remove it and get at the back off the control box if needed

Then pipe work is getting done tomorrow hopefully

Not to sure what to do next i have so much to do i don't know where to start ha

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
06 Jan 2013 12:31 #5 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Added the temperature Controller tonight put all wires in trunking and also the temperature probe is in trunking enough so it it just about the sump and then put into the chamber neat
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I also changed my sump around the return section was way to small so i made it bigger, so hope this will help with topping up even thought ill have the ATO on the sump
File Attachment:

i found a way how to add the Dosing Pump Controller to the control box didnt get a photo but will add one when i have all the controllers mounted and wired in

I am still trying to find a way to mount the dosing pump in the sump/stand area nice and neat i have being thinking of making a bracket up with two bits of egg crate like a L shape and hand it over the side off the sump bit the more i think about it i think it wont work

I was looking at a dosing pump bracket on the net today but at 40 euro i think ill try think off another way

So if anyone has any ideas or a photo on how you do it please let us know

Thanks

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
06 Jan 2013 12:33 #6 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
I got the pipe work sorted out after a lot off messing about with getting wrong size fittings and that but thank god i got the right ones in the end i upgraded all pipe work connectors and ball values to 32mm and also hard piped all off it

may change it going into the pump ill see what the vibration is like when it is uo and runniging if it is bad ill just add a few inchs off flexy to it
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I added the water and rock i had storing in wheelie bins was trying to do a bit of rock work but i am hopeless at it so it is just sitting in the tank for now until someone comes and saves me and shows me how to do it right, also i added some temporarily LEDs to the tank for now until i move over all equipment and lights and get it all wired up

I will be adding the rock and water from the old tank and also have more water mixing now just incase i need more which im sure i will
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Here is a photo that i got when i done the wire off the pump this is the way all the wires in the sumo will be done and once the trunking lid goes no there will be no wires showing at all
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Few photos of the stand with the sump lights in very bright which is the way i wanted it the whole sump is lit up so it good in-case i need to do something in it
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

So if anyone is few in the next few days to help me with the rock work and the change over would be great

Was looking to get all off it done before Xmas so need as much help as i can with the rock cause i am Shit at it haha

Thanks

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
06 Jan 2013 12:33 #7 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Yeah i am using the coral clue not the best if you ask be says it drys in 5 mins but not for mw it doesnt ha some bits are still lose from when i started it ill leave for a while longer

Here is it some bits and just holding others up till the glue drys so this is not the finish look but best i can do

Sean
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:
[/quote]

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
06 Jan 2013 12:34 #8 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Sorted out the two islands that i want each side of my center piece rack that will be coming from my other tank

Still have to add a few bits and overhangs to the islands but will do this later on when i see what the final look is done
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Still i will take all equipment from the old tank tomo and just add temp powerheads heater and lights to the old tank till i move them over

Anyone know how long i can leave the tank for like this with just light powerheads and heater and off course the return?

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
06 Jan 2013 12:35 #9 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Quick update tank is filled and stocked everything went great with the move over and all doing very well now thank god

No spikes also which i was very happy with really dose may off to take your time

Now a lot off work as being done to the tank over the last while from adding equipment to most of the wiring wired and as neat as i could get it

Small amount to still do tomorrow will finish of putting in the Doser and controller as its only about 80% done and then run airlines to the 3 drums for the mixes

and then add in my power heads as i just have temp ones on it for now

I added in a new D-D 80W UV i gravity feed this there is a good thing about this and a bad thing
first of all the good is because is is running 80Watts i didn't want to add a pump to it as then i would be looking at running nearly 140 or so watts

Now the bad is because it is gravity feed the only way i come add it to the tank is this way and then back in to the return section the bad thing is because the feed in not running through the rector sock or skimmer first as its just right into the UV so this means dirty water going into it which will make me have to clean it but once i do probable once a month everything is ok
File Attachment:

Next i added in my Rock work and water here a are few shots as i was going
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Here is a before and after photo off some wiring to show how neat i am looking to have it
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I then added and wired in all the lighting they are all AquaRays 4 x 1500XG tiles and 2 x blue and white srtips on the rail and hanging kit
File Attachment:

I then added in and wired up the Aquaray Controllers for the lights
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Here is a shot how it is now
File Attachment:

Also forgot to say i added in all new Sand 1mm white coral sand very nice i have to say

I got a few things done tonight like the Auto Top Up and drums added in and also as i said a good bit of the doser and controllers

Tomorrow ill finish that of and then add in the powerheads and wire it up and then that some be it till i decide what else to add :lol:

Thanks

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
06 Jan 2013 12:36 - 09 Jan 2013 23:10 #10 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Got another few bits done today

Got the Auto Top Up done and drum put in and all net
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I then got the Doser and controller all set and air lines ran

I had a bit of trouble with this as i couldn't find a way to get the air lines to look neat under the sump so i came up with making brakes to hole the lines which worked out well and then i couldn't find a place for the pumps so mounted them to the roof of the sump
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I finished of the control box with the pon boxs wired and and the doser controller mounted and lighting controller have to add more though
File Attachment:

Then i finished of the Temperature Controller which is working great
File Attachment:

I forgot to add a photo of the new skimmer i got for this tank so here it is
File Attachment:

Today i got a new addition for the tank i have wanted this fish for some time now but didn't have the right size tank for one so when i got the big tank i got this ordered delighted i have to say

One of the biggest and nicest Moorish Idol (Zanclus Canescens) i have ever seen
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Here is a few shots of the Tank,Coral's and Fish
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Last edit: 09 Jan 2013 23:10 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe).

More
06 Jan 2013 15:18 #11 by snaphappy (john)
Great thread and great pics really enjoyed this.... Makes me hate my own setup though :-)

More
06 Jan 2013 16:28 #12 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
crappers thats some tank and a heck of a lot of work, looking good, how heavy is this beast going to be on electricity

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
06 Jan 2013 16:47 #13 by Reefaholic (adrian)
super looking tank you have there and a good thread aswell best of luck with it id say your well happy with it !!

More
06 Jan 2013 18:13 #14 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

Great thread and great pics really enjoyed this.... Makes me hate my own setup though :-)

Thanks mate still a lot to do never ending this game is :laugh:

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
06 Jan 2013 18:16 #15 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

crappers thats some tank and a heck of a lot of work, looking good, how heavy is this beast going to be on electricity

Sheag believe me a lot of late nights and even some working on it all night ha

But at the end of the day it will be worth it

When i was starting it i said i wanted to do everything right no cut corners and i also wanted all the piping and wiring as neat under the sump as i could get it but worked out great so far

Not sure what it will be on the ecel though a good bit i would say as the UV and return alone i have on 24/7 and each of them is UV 80Watts and return 95Watts so i am sure i will feel it alright

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
06 Jan 2013 18:19 #16 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

super looking tank you have there and a good thread aswell best of luck with it id say your well happy with it !!

Thanks Adrian

Yeah i sure am have also wanted the 7x2x2 but i had some job trying to get it in white lucky when i put in my order i was told they would do it for me

Cost me a pretty penny but in my eyes looking at it each day it is well worth it

Just have to add more fish and corals and then ill be happy with it

Next will be on OZone and then more MP40s be happy with another two then i could have one on each end of the tank and one on the back wall

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
07 Jan 2013 00:11 #17 by dubdero (derek kearns)
Good luck with tank lookin good

More
07 Jan 2013 10:46 #18 by Aquaman (Brian Gillick)
WOW :ohmy:

100L 2 Foot Betta Aquarium & Cabinet For Sale:
www.adverts.ie/pet-accessories/100l-aqua...-accessories/2240157

More
07 Jan 2013 19:56 #19 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Sean, this is an amazing tank and fair play to you!!! Outstanding!

Hope you don't think I'm being nosy but how much did this set you back? I'm contemplating ordering a custom tank but have no idea ow much more expensive this option is versus an off the shelf version.

Do you have recommendations for tank build??

Well done again, take a big bow!!!

More
07 Jan 2013 23:15 #20 by tomovenustus (thomas mckeon)
fair play sean looks the buisness .....the white is lovely B)

More
08 Jan 2013 19:06 #21 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
looking very cool sean fair play thats some amount of stuff ur running id say the esb will send you a thank you card next xmas

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
08 Jan 2013 21:45 - 08 Jan 2013 21:46 #22 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Thanks lads means a lot

Have done the best i could on this tank and really has paid of for me i just have to give it time now and let it mature

Small up date i got the MP40 mounted and wired the way i wanted it

Now just need to get another 2 and ill be happy

If anyone has frags for sale please let us know

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jan 2013 21:46 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe).

More
08 Jan 2013 23:27 #23 by Aquaman (Brian Gillick)
Did you win the Lotto???

Can i have some? :dry:

100L 2 Foot Betta Aquarium & Cabinet For Sale:
www.adverts.ie/pet-accessories/100l-aqua...-accessories/2240157

More
08 Jan 2013 23:31 #24 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

Did you win the Lotto???

Can i have some? :dry:

Wish i did would come in handy :laugh:

If i did i would share it with you though but sorry to say i didn't maybe sometime :whistle:

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
08 Jan 2013 23:48 #25 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
All the bells and whistles Sean looks brilliant. Why don't you put up a small vid id love to see it in all its glory

Mark

More
09 Jan 2013 10:42 #26 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

All the bells and whistles Sean looks brilliant. Why don't you put up a small vid id love to see it in all its glory

Mark

Yeah i have to do one soon,

I am minding a lot of corals for a friend until he re dose his tank so when i give his corals back ill do one then

Thanks

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
09 Jan 2013 11:30 #27 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Wow, another thread I have missed.

Great looking tank and thread Sean, I do see what you mean about the white.

It all looks very well planned and executed. If that was me there would be wires everywhere.

Have you given up freshwater completely?

Andreas

More
09 Jan 2013 22:36 #28 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

Wow, another thread I have missed.

Great looking tank and thread Sean, I do see what you mean about the white.

It all looks very well planned and executed. If that was me there would be wires everywhere.

Have you given up freshwater completely?

Andreas

Andreas thanks very much,

Yes i went into this saying i am going to do it right from the start so i did a lot of late nights and even night where i was up all night doing wiring and moving things around so i could egt it as neat as i could

I love white tanks always half as i said before it wasn't easy to get a white tank of Clearseal but i was glad they said they would do it for me as i wanted a white tank and also wanted a Clearseal but they didn't do white but now they do :)

Yes i sold the last of the freshwater tanks a good while back ahve to say going from 13 freshwater tanks to one big Marine tank is crazy no more hassle having to do lots of water changes just one very large one on this and im sorted ha

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

• MichaeLO (MichaeLO)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Feb 2013 13:27 #29 by MichaeLO (MichaeLO)
Replied by MichaeLO (MichaeLO) on topic My White 7x2x2 Reef
Amazing size.What the price on it?

More
02 Feb 2013 13:33 #30 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

Amazing size.What the price on it?

Wouldn't want to add it all up to be honest ha

Tank price on its own is 1700 for tank stand and sump

Sean

Will have a good few updates to do in the next few weeks

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds