Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

discus in aquatic village

More
07 Mar 2007 07:16 #1 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
crap camera phone pics but holy jesus these discus are nice

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2007 07:45 #2 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: discus in aquatic village
how much do they go for?

More
07 Mar 2007 07:54 #3 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
think they were all sold..
maybe 180 each..

photo doesnt really do justice as to their size.
id say about 10-12 inches

More
07 Mar 2007 08:48 #4 by monty (monty)
I understand they are getting more in this week..

Monty

• Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2007 08:59 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
I am seriously considering bringing fish into this country if I knew I'd sell them for that price. 180€ is highway robbery. Drive to Midleton, he has fish the same size for half the price. If you'd buy several fish you'd get a weekend in Cork out of the difference

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2007 09:07 #6 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: discus in aquatic village
I know relatively nothing about Discus but I do know that is too much to pay for a fish who according to the people on this site will die if you look at it without smiling.
If I bought a phone for that amount I would want a guarantee that it will work.If it didnt Id get my money back.Where do you stand if that Discus decides he is gonna pop his clogs,even if you do everything right?I know any shop will be sympathetic and sort you out but that would kill me.
Its a confident fishkeeper who buys those kinda fish.Mind you they are stunning,Id probably splash €100 on them,no more!!!Nice pics Mick.

More
07 Mar 2007 09:24 #7 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
€180 is a rip-off alright. I'd want a breeding pair for that price.

Nice fish though....

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
07 Mar 2007 09:44 #8 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

I am seriously considering bringing fish into this country if I knew I'd sell them for that price. 180€ is highway robbery. Drive to Midleton, he has fish the same size for half the price. If you'd buy several fish you'd get a weekend in Cork out of the difference

With retail on dry goods it about 35-40% mark up on fish its 3 times the cost price so the shop would of bough it for 60E incl VAT may be you could get it for 52E? whats the difference the main things is this margin is normal on livestock.

From fish farm to wholesale is about just double. Hence the farmed price would be 30E

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2007 09:44 #9 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
€180 per fish is not only a rip-off, it's high way robbery.
@Peter, even if you buy a pair of discus they will not neccessarily breed either. A simple change of surroundings might break the pair up.

In Hollnad and Germany you can buy wild caught sub-adults (at least you know the fish aren't ancient) from 50€ a pop. Fly into Amsterdam with KLM, have a nice weekend or wahtever else you want to do over there and bring some fish back. You might have spent the same money but had a whole load more fun

Holger

More
07 Mar 2007 09:50 #10 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
woah woah woah...

i might have gotten it wrong
about the price...! dont hang them
just yet!!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2007 10:09 #11 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
to be honest nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to what stuff costs here and how many people are stupid enough to buy it. Just look at the house market 3 bed semi d. dirthole for €400000 and more. Some people have more money than sense.

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2007 10:13 #12 by iffymike (iffymike)
Replied by iffymike (iffymike) on topic Re: discus in aquatic village
400K Euros, i'll def stay where i am,a and just catch the ferry :lol: on a day trip

• Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2007 10:29 #13 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Hi Mike, house prices are crashing at the moment over here. Even tough the banks like to call it a soft landing. I don't know how people could afford houses at these prices anyway. I bought my house for 189000€ four years ago and last year houses in my estate were selling for near enough to 400k.(By the way my house is 4 bedroom detached and not the 3 bed hovel I was referring to earlier on. That's Dublin prices). Now they can't shift them for 320K.

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2007 10:38 #14 by iffymike (iffymike)
Replied by iffymike (iffymike) on topic Re: discus in aquatic village
Well i bought my Mid Terrace 3 bedroom house here in Holyhead for £35K needed work, but its worth nearer £90K now

• Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2007 10:41 #15 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
nice for some :D
Can we get back to fishy matters?

More
07 Mar 2007 11:09 #16 by steven (steven)
Lads i don't keep Discus would love to in the near future but in my opinion you pay for quality as the original post says they were all sold and you can gurantee any stock they get next week will be sold as well....and on the fish kicking the bucket i have found Aquatic Village very understanding let them know they test a sample of ur water and replace fish if all ur readings are within acceptable boundries........lads if you want a Lada buy a Lada if you want a Porsche buy a Porsche its all about QUALITY..... :wink:

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

More
07 Mar 2007 12:51 #17 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

...lads if you want a Lada buy a Lada if you want a Porsche buy a Porsche its all about QUALITY..... :wink:

What Car Magazine relibitliy test for UK cars 4.3 years old summary.
In order of reliability
Honda
Toyota
Subaru
Hyundai
Nissan

Nearly all Jap except Hyundai (Korean)

then mid range Russian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Scoda

Crap cars
Most European one of the worst Porche, and Renault.

The bottom of the heap Ford and other American cars.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2007 13:19 #18 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Scoda is Czech, never mind. The engine and chassie are German....
And Sean, I'm not going to be dragging this into a new slagging match.

@ Steven,
you fall into the trap of thinking that just because something is expensive it has to be of better quality. Wild fish on the continent are a 3rd of the price and are ther better quality fish than wild caught, properly acclimatised fish. Simply answer no.
Just because you buy your clothes in BT doesn't mean they are better quality than somewhere else. Oh yeah, forgot the shopping experience... Being looked down on by some snotty bitch of a sales assistant. Daddy's rich and got her a job in above outlet and hopes to marry her of to some gullable rich bloke. Ok, enough of a rant about the snob's favourite shop.
I'm sure Aquatic Village staff are nice people. From what I hear service is good.

Even European breeders sell quality fish a lot cheaper. Stendker doesn't sell to private individuals but dealers only and even at that his fish retail considerably cheaper

By the way, have we any confirmation on the price yet?

More
07 Mar 2007 13:24 #19 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi
I dont think anyone can comment on the discus without seeing them first hand!!!!! WE have Brilliant Turquoise, Blue Diamonds, Snakeskins, Melons etc!!!
Everyone who has seen them, some serious discus keepers, say they re the best they have seen for a long time!!!!! Plus i have a few of Fins n things customers, they have a discus room and they come up every few months, coming up on sat!!!!!
SO DONT JUDGE UNTIL YOU SEE THEM YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fr Jack, ill pass on that comment about the Porsche to my boss Ian, sure he will find it funny!!!!!!! I did!!!

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2007 13:33 #20 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: discus in aquatic village

in my opinion you pay for quality

Nobody is debating quality Steven.We are simply bitching about the obvious high price,whether you like it or not,that is a high price for a fish,quality or not,and we all know they look top notch.If you want to debate about quality you have to know a thing or 2 about the species in question,and I know feck all about Discus.This isnt a debate about high prices in a certain shop,we all know Aquatic Village have quality stock at decent prices.Its not every day you see Discus going at that price though.

More
07 Mar 2007 15:52 #21 by JohnH (John)
!0-12" Discus....?

I bet they've been fed on beefheart!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the front fish look a bit deformed? Or is it just a foreshortened effect through cameraphone use?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2007 17:00 #22 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
John,
I think they are a strain from Singapore. They are more rounded on the snout than the European strains. That's Ok but 12 inch is a big fish, alright. I have one similar fish and it's growing much faster than any of my other fish and I bought it as a 3 inch juvenile and it has never been fed beefheart while I had it.

I never disputed that they were nice fish but the price is outrageous to say the least. they are not, however, the best fish I have seen in a long time. Christ, has the standard fallen that low?
Serratus, I'm not trying to promote any particular shop at all. merely spreading offers I have seen elsewhere for fish of comparable size and quality. Tell me how much you are paying for carriage from continetal Europe per kg and I can point you to several breeders who will gladly sell you fish at a price that will not call for such high prices per fish.

Holger

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2007 18:09 #23 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: discus in aquatic village
Imo those Discus are vile.
Their form is crap, they look like those Bat Discus and the colour is woeful. Maybe its the camera but I would not pay €30 for them never mind €180.
A Discus should be almost a perfect saucer shape not like these.
I think they are called Super high finned Discus.

On large Discus.
I kept Stendker Discus before and they are fabulous. They grow a lot bigger than normal because they have a bigger gene.

If you want quality Discus pm Iffymike and he will show you pics of what a Discus should look like.

In fairness I have seen some realy nice Discus in Brittas but these are poor.

More
07 Mar 2007 19:07 #24 by JohnH (John)

That's Ok but 12 inch is a big fish, alright. I have one similar fish and it's growing much faster than any of my other fish and I bought it as a 3 inch juvenile and it has never been fed beefheart while I had it

:roll:

It's alright...I was just trying to fan the embers of the Beefheart debate :? :wink: , it has fallen from prominence lately.

But, speaking as someone who is far too lazy to clean off all the fat, take out all the arteries and veins before finally shoving what's left into the liquidiser I'm hardly qualified to really pass comment so I won't. :!:

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2007 02:07 #25 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
People,
mark it in your diaries. Anthony and myself are of the same opinion when it comes to discus :D
I wouldn't call them vile but I do agree that the fins are somewhat on the long side.
I know I have been passing comments about other peoples fish but I'm waiting for BT to hook me up to broadband (people where are you?) and I will put a few pictures of my fish on the forum. Arabesque is waiting for pictures of my DIY background as well. Folks, you can get ready to take me to the cleaners with your comments...

Holger

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2007 14:58 #26 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: discus in aquatic village
Looking forward to seeing the background too.

More
08 Mar 2007 15:27 #27 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
First I know nothing about discus and have never kept them, saw these guys in AV today, one particular one, a Turquiose I think was stunning, but it was not 12" more like 8". To me, it looked better than any other discus I have seen, but remember I know nothing about them. As for the price if you would not pay €180 you really dont want to know the price!!! It was much more.

As to whether it is worth paying that for a fish or not, I think it is a personal preference, if it is the fish you want and you are happy to pay that kind of money fair enough. If you can get the same fish elsewhere for less, go elsewhere. If that happens to be Germany to be Germany etc., it will cost you just as much in the long run. If everyone runs off to the UK or mainland Europe interesting, unusual or rare will not be imported here.

Daragh

PS. by the time I was leaving another two had sold, so someone likes them.

More
08 Mar 2007 15:56 #28 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Firstly, to those of you who have criticised the fish in question. I just think its a classic 'judging a book by its cover' scenario. If you're so learned in discus, I would have thought maybe a visit to see them first might have been in order, apparantly not. Any Discus fan/expert/fanatic knows theres alot more to a specimen than its finnage. But clearly, this little detail was forgotton.

Secondly, In relation to price. If you think its so expensive, no ones forcing you to buy anything, theres no gun to anyones head, if someone wishes to buy, its of there own free will(and they have which speaks for itself). They criticism is almost childlike. I've spent close enough to that myself on a single fish, and of course theres loads of adds from 'breeders' and shops in the UK selling the specimen I was looking for for cheaper, but I'd rather buy from a reliable source where the breeders are personnally known and quality is always gauranteed, and if it costs a few extra quid, so be it. Quality is more important than price to me, but thats just me, I dont look at the price tag first thing when I walk into a shop. If you like it, and its reasonable, buy it, dont moan about it.

I'm not doubting any of the individuals on here, I'm sure you've all read your books, but nothings set in stone, and the hobby is dynamic, not static .

I'd also like to question the availability of any fish near the quality of those pictured, anywhere in the republic? From a shop(not a breeder, if that was the case we could all sell 10'' discus for €30) but the answer is that there is not.

As I speak here, I'm speaking as a hobbyiest more than anything else, I've been in the hobby several years, not decades as some of you here are or claim to be, but im in it long enough to know not to believe things as you read, A reliable source of fish is vital to fishkeeping. Without that you may aswell buy a bag of whitespot.

Look, we can all sit here and debate what is a very minute matter or rant on for no apparant reason. But can I offer words of advise to those who are willing to listen.

If you want a quality Discus or any fish, buy from a respected source. As a customer of Aquatic Village, I can vouch for this. Several years as a customer, and lots of fish later I can honestly say I never lost a fish through poor quality. I've since moved onto marines and the same applies, corals hard and soft, fish, pefect. Thats my experience. I'd buy from a place that offers a back up service, and a quality one at that. Something you rarely get off a breeder.

But thats just my 2 cents, I dont claim to be an 'expert' but I do know what I am talking about.

JMO

Dave

Qui Vivra Verra.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2007 16:30 #29 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Dave,
there is paying more for quality fish and there being robbed. What is wrong with complaining about the price of something, be that fish, consumer goods or whatever? Have we gone so used to being overcharged that we don't even bother to complain anymore.
I don't for one second doubt that AV are selling quality fish.
However, quality fish at a justifiable price. If these cost even more than 180 euro a pop then you are seriously getting taken to the cleaners.

You all should take a trip to the continent just to see the difference. If anybody is willing to spend that sort of money for a single fish, leave me a message on I'll be on the first plane to either Amsterdam, Prague or Frankfurt when I have ten orders.
If anybody has a possibility to bring fish over, I gladly give you addresses of breeders on the continent who'll sell you F1 adults for less. For crying out loud wildcaught are cheaper in most places.

By the way is AV buying from breedrs. My red turqs have just spawned. Unfortunately they are in the communit tank so there isn't much hope of any survivers but I will set up a few breeding tanks. Wonderhow much they would pay me for 6'' juveniles...

Holger

More
08 Mar 2007 16:44 #30 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
I'm never one to lie down and be slapped with an over the top price, and in your opinion they are, however there not in other peoples. I just thought the way the topic was dealt with, was childlike. the fact that they were all sold to people wanting them indicates that not everyone is keen on the idea of buying imported fish off a stranger, just because it offers a cheaper alternative. Maybe there good fish, maybe not, at least here you can see the quality yourself first and the then see if the price is justified.

Bringing fish in on a personal basis is easily done however, its not as inexpensive or as easy as it seems, theres alot of red tape issues, and permits, restricting the movement of animals from country to country, couple with freight, flights, and the rest, I imagine wouldnt exactly make it very financially viable. Private and Trade ordering are two different things entirely, so they cannot be compared so easily.

Aquatic Village has its own suppliers in the far east for Discus. However if you wanted to have a friendly discussion with Drew about your fish, the numbers on the website.

Qui Vivra Verra.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds